UKBouldering.com

Core Training with Monkey Bars (Read 4619 times)

krymson

• obsessive maniac
Core Training with Monkey Bars
June 06, 2013, 05:45:10 pm
Hey Guys,

I feel a bit like I've been spamming the board with silly posts -- hopefully this thread makes up for it.

A while ago inspired by the sean mccoll training video and a (hard climber) friend who praised the benefits of training core i came up with this exercise which is basically system training on monkey bar for the core. It actually worked and my feet are quiteeffective these days on steep stuff, even when holds are small or far.

Benefit
Compared to more conventional core exercises the movements here are very specific to climbing, yet with monkey bars the holds are big enough that you aren't limited by your finger strength and can really work the relevant larger muscles.

It's not simply the abs or the back being worked, but everything needed to create tension through the body to the toes.

The version in the video is a backstep and reach(opposing hand and feet). This is beneficial for all turning-type moves such as backstep, twist lock, drop knee.

Variations
The backstep version has the most mechanical advantage but as malcom smith has pointed out sometimes you need "open" strength too. You can also keep both feet on and center the hand on the bar and twist less, reaching while maintaining a more open position with the body. This is harder. (Not captured on this film)

If that's still not hard enough you can do same side hand and foot(remaining foot does an outside flag) for an incredibly severe core workout.

Tips
-Try to do this exercise with far feet, and on the other end reach out as far as you can .
-Aim to lock and hold this reach for a bit.
-Step on the bar with only the toes -- this builds up toe strength and tension for climbing
-Chalk up

Bit of a shit video to be honest but I do believe the workout is solid and better for climbing than doing general core stuff like crunches, deadlifts or even  only doing front levers. Doing this  and the variations once a week has vastly improved my ability to use small feet far from me.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 06:14:09 pm by krymson »

erm, sam

• forum hero
#1 Re: Core Training with Monkey Bars
June 07, 2013, 07:55:43 pm
I shall try this the next time I am down the kids with the park...

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Core Training with Monkey Bars
June 08, 2013, 12:32:14 am
 ;D

"Mommy what's that strange man doing on the monkey bars?"

"I don't know, Timmy. I don't know... Stay away from him."

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#3 Core Training with Monkey Bars
June 08, 2013, 11:19:03 am
That kind of core training is common in the military, where climbing ropes and bars are still very much in vogue.
That's because they care more about results than the latest trends...

Few things strengthen all round like a good old fashioned assault course. Which is why monkey bars and modern playground equipment exist in their current form.
Wouldn't hurt for a few more adults to pay attention...

biscuit

• menacing presence
#4 Re: Core Training with Monkey Bars
June 08, 2013, 01:14:16 pm
I played around at it for a while at it yesterday. the kids were very surprised at how keen Dad was to take them to the park.

I didn't do a full workout as i stopped when two old boys strolled over to ask me what i was doing. This is rural Spain after all and not Venice Beach. When i explained ( i hope to god i got it right ) they were even more puzzled. Sat down about 6ft away on a bench and waited for me to carry on so they could stare at me again.

However this morning my sides hurt as does my lower abdomen. I could really feel that working when i did it. So something has been trained.

I also did some wide arm pull ups with the legs in the 'L' position. You don't need deadlifting - that kills your lower back.

I did some pull ups in the flat position as well with my feet up. Pulled right up through the bars with my head. Feels much more climbing specific than normal pull ups.

I'll do it again for sure - just when there's no-one else around.

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Core Training with Monkey Bars
June 08, 2013, 03:00:54 pm
 :-[ perhaps this should have been titled this "monkey bars - not just for kids"?

This was actually shot in an urban exercise park  -- a park that combines public exercise equipment for adults and seniors with a small playground for the kids. The monkey bars are a middle ground used by all ages.

These parks are common in Asia, at least in Korea and Taiwan where I've been living the past few years and i totally forgot about the stigma in the West that monkey bars are "for kids"

If its any encouragement, here's a video of John Gill training on them at an actual playground:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#6 Core Training with Monkey Bars
June 08, 2013, 04:49:50 pm
I have no problem playing on the equipment with my kids. I can't resist monkey bars, and I have been told off by playground staff the world over...

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Core Training with Monkey Bars
June 08, 2013, 04:57:52 pm
I've always wanted to dive into a ball pool..

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Core Training with Monkey Bars
June 10, 2013, 09:39:04 am
You can borrow one of ours for the day and take him to the local softplay. I find rolling around on my back in one gives a good massage.

beckyi

#9 Re: Core Training with Monkey Bars
June 10, 2013, 10:29:50 am

Ive started doing training similar to those videos but also inverted push-ups whilst pushing and pulling on a bar with my toes... Seems to be working as I am no longer as crap at roof stuff (still pretty crap tho).

Lucky I have a younger sister therefore monkey bars live in my garden and I avoid people thinking I'm weird.

biscuit

• menacing presence
#10 Re: Core Training with Monkey Bars
June 10, 2013, 02:56:50 pm
:-[ perhaps this should have been titled this "monkey bars - not just for kids"?

This was actually shot in an urban exercise park  -- a park that combines public exercise equipment for adults and seniors with a small playground for the kids. The monkey bars are a middle ground used by all ages.

Ha ha ! Same here in Spain, that's why the old boys were there. They have exercise machines for them too.

They are generally not very shy here, especially the older generation, and will happily just sit down and stare at you and talk about you. I just felt a bit silly.

Going back this week with some weights and a rucksack. I can hardly wait  :-[

rich d

• forum hero
#11 Re: Core Training with Monkey Bars
June 10, 2013, 03:22:54 pm
Just to let you all know a  bloke set up some rings (gymnastic not rubber) from a tree branch in our local park. He looked more like a twat than a paedo.

biscuit

• menacing presence
#12 Re: Core Training with Monkey Bars
June 10, 2013, 03:34:04 pm
More a twat than a paedo ?

So he did look a bit paedo then ?

rich d

• forum hero
#13 Re: Core Training with Monkey Bars
June 10, 2013, 04:13:31 pm
Put it this way you wouldn't have let him baby sit your kids ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal