UKBouldering.com

Unexplained Trouser Fillers (The Twilight Zone of Crag Fear) (Read 15188 times)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
As I mentioned in another thread, I visited The Hermitage (Southstone Rock) in the late 90s.  I went on my own on a wet day for a recce mission.  When I got there I had a sudden feeling of fear/ panic and had to leave tout de suite.

Any other UKBers had a similar shit-yer-self moment for no apparent reason?  Or am I a big-fat-scaredy-wuss?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Sorry guys, forgot the (crap) Link.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
Not quite a trouser filler, but did experience a inexplicable 'cold spot' once just after the gate walking upto Kyloe in the Woods. Sent a chill through everyones spine!

Added to the ambience of the place for sure!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
walking back from crookrise in the dark on me own was a bit scary

AndiT

• forum abuser
Yeah the time mini says about was strange, I think if I'd been alone it would have been a 'shit-em' moment but with there being three of us, it was abit more like 'did you just notice that?'.

I've totally crapped em on Gun Hill (that's the  hill you can see if you're sitting on the Roaches looking out, with trees along its crest) before. I was walking over it at dusk when I started feeling very un-nerved, I really could here someone walking behind me. To top it off Reg (my dog) stopped and faced me and starting barking like mad at me, as I continued walking he just backpeddled and kept barking. I was pooing myself (I'm not a supernatural type believer, neither). I tried to phone a mate, just to make me feel a bit better and try and laugh to someone about how I was feeling but there was no reception, despite there normally being plenty as I walk there quite a bit. This lasted about twenty minutes until I kind of walked into a friendlier feeling area of the hill and immediately felt better and Reg just chilled out and got back to eating ground nesting birds etc. At no point did I feel like running was an option, it was like if I ran, then I would get busted by whatever presence was there. Horrible.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I think if I'd been alone it would have been a 'shit-em' moment but with there being three of us, it was abit more like 'did you just notice that?'.

Yeah, that is an important factor. All the more weird as you all noticed it though.

I was pooing myself (I'm not a supernatural type believer, neither).

I'm not either, which makes no difference to the high underwear usage at the time.

At no point did I feel like running was an option, it was like if I ran, then I would get busted by whatever presence was there. Horrible.

But the urge to run like f*ck is strong.  I get the feeling sometimes when I go downstairs at night without turning the lights on.  Our house is a bit creepy anyway (over 200 years old etc).  Outside it's only happened a handful of times but mostly in the light of day.

Thanks for sharing those guys.  Any more of any more?

webbo

• forum hero
i had this feeling that i was being watched when bouldering on the north york moors bridestones one evening.there were no cars in the car park when i arrived and left,so i don't think there was anyone else around.
i kept having to look round to check and got more and more uneasy.i then thought i saw someone stood on the skyline out of the corner of my eye and my stomache dropped however it was a tree.i left after this. 

nic mullin

• menacing presence

Last summer (just before the big fire restrictions in the peak) I spent an evening soloing at Rivelin to get some mileage before a trip to the alps. Being boiling hot and a sun-trap there was nobody else there. I worked from right to left along the crag and got to the brush off by about 8pm, where I found that the grass underneath the overlap at the bottom of the buttress was on fire. I hastily stamped the fire out, thinking that it must've been somebody's fag butt and did a few more routes before continuing leftwards. As carried on I kept finding small, freshly lit grass fires underneath every buttress with an undercut base. I hadn't heard or seen a single person and got more and more edgy the deeper I got into the woods at the left hand end of the crag. In the end I bailed before finishing my route quota, having reached the conclusion that I was being fucked with by a pyromaniac with some serious jungle combat skills. I had absolutely no intention of staying in blair witch territory while it got dark, and still haven't found a rational explanation for the fires. Shit me right up at the time. 

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
a few years ago, during a really bad period, getting back home i found the door of the terrace open. despite living at second floor, i panicked a bit, and feeded my mental illness by searching every bit of the house, including under the beds and into the wardrobes.

and also one sunday evening at home i heard the voice of an old lady calling my name or help. so i ran downstairs and the lady was fine, and noone had heard anything. i tend to think i had an alucination, but it was fu**** terrifying.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Quality topic.

I've totally crapped em on Gun Hill (that's the  hill you can see if you're sitting on the Roaches looking out, with trees along its crest) before. I was walking over it at dusk when I started feeling very un-nerved, I really could here someone walking behind me. To top it off Reg (my dog) stopped and faced me and starting barking like mad at me, as I continued walking he just backpeddled and kept barking. I was pooing myself (I'm not a supernatural type believer, neither). I tried to phone a mate, just to make me feel a bit better and try and laugh to someone about how I was feeling but there was no reception, despite there normally being plenty as I walk there quite a bit. This lasted about twenty minutes until I kind of walked into a friendlier feeling area of the hill and immediately felt better and Reg just chilled out and got back to eating ground nesting birds etc. At no point did I feel like running was an option, it was like if I ran, then I would get busted by whatever presence was there. Horrible.

Good stuff. Well, to read about, retrospectively.

I don't think I've had any such moments although I've been to enough weird crags. Will have to think about them.

Whenever I see inland limestone, I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, I don't know if that counts though...

BenF

• forum hero
Whenever I see inland limestone, I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, I don't know if that counts though...

Shit, I get that too.  Do you reckon we could get exorcised?  Then we could climb happily at places like Harper Hill or Horseshoe...

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
i am a complete idiot, i posted clearly off topic, non crag related fillers.
sorry.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Don't worry Nibs, entertaining as ever.  There must be some spooky places round your way?

widdop

• addict
about 2 miles towards Hebden Bridge from widdop rocks there is a old graveyard Blake Dean ,and the ghost of the Green lady ,has been seen  on the 1 in 4 hill right behind them when going up the hill  past the bone yard , the boy scouts ,have a camping bod there now ,  as a youngster i had some near pant filling episodes when going home, up the hill ,and at one time my Lakeland terrier set of and beat it ,home ,i never stopped till i got to the pack horse pub  .

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
In my life thus far, only 2 'incidents' have left me cold. Not actually climbing-related either so apologies.

In first year of university in my friends hall - he had a bunk bed and we were up late watching some films. Dan was one of my best friends in university and I know he wasn't messing with me.

Basically, after watching the films we both kind of drifted off (in our respective bunks ahem). I awoke at what must have been about 5 or 6 am feeling what I thought was Dan kicking the underneath of my mattress, sort of like the things kids do. After waking slightly from this I was like "Dan, please quit it I'm knackered!" 'He' kept at this for ages until I eventually looked down at him (the kicking stopped) and he was completely asleep. I shook him and he had clearly just come round as I did. It was pretty much this that sent the shiver as I could tell he had definitely been asleep. He swore down that he wasn't doing that to me.

Never really voiced this one as it was fucking horrible and it sounds absolute nonsense (I'm not even slightly into notions of the supernatural).

The other incident was just as bad but not worth going into.

andy_e

• forum hero
Good thread!

When at kilnsey recently, both Andy F and our mate Gareth were walking in fornt of me, both suddenly stopped bewildered and looking for the woman who uttered some words. She was never foudn, I never fully understood what was going on but they both had that "what-the-hell-was-that?" look about them...

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Your right Andi, it was well wierd. Gareth and I both heard this womans vioce, having a conversation with someone (not us) for about a 4-5 second burst just as we walked past the buttress with Tragedy on it (spooky huh?). Phones were checked - nothing doing there. We tried swishing our arms on our clothes - nothing doing there, but we both definately heard the voice of a woman. Very freaky  :shrug:. Oh, there was noone else at the crag, bar the three of us. Now Andi can be a big girls blouse, but it wasn't him this time.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I have had some kack my pants moments on Dartmoor, which is a bit of a spooky place at the best of times. Was out bouldering in the evening on my own at Smallacombe once. It was getting dark and I decided to head back, and it was a bit misty too. Walking back along the abandoned railway, and kept getting the feeling and hearing sounds like someone was following me. Kept stopping and looking around, but no-one there. Well scary.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
BTW,the incident happened on Friday 13th  :o

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
These are great guys.  Keep them coming.   :great:

It's funny that as a (supposedly) rational person these incidents get to me more- I can't just put it down to being the ghost of a long dead goat-herd hanging around the place etc etc.   i suppose it's a feeling most of us get at some times.  It's the strange times it can occur e.g. in daylight.   :o

Has anyone run like f*ck and survived?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I kind of think the "and survived" at the end of that sentence is superfluous.

BenF

• forum hero
I kind of think the "and survived" at the end of that sentence is superfluous.

Dunno Chris, there may be some undead boulderers posting on here.  (Cue a range of piss taking comments by people about the appearance of their mates)

AndiT

• forum abuser
I've ran and I'm quite undead.

Again it was dusky and I think that this has has a lot to do with senses playing up. I was walking along the River Dane down in the valley behind Back Forest and Luds Church. I began to feel very afraid and started walking faster and faster, Reg kept up and started running. I started running. I ran all the way up to Back Forest, past the Hanging Stone and through the woods back to Dane Bridge which is quite a long way. I ran as fast as I could.

I feel I must reiterate that I'm not a scaredy cat and these two experiences are pretty much the only ones I can think of. I think they are just my mind playing games with me. They are both spooky places and have verified spooky stories to go with them, which I was aware of before I went into them. However they are both places I frequent and there was something definitely different on the occasions I have mentioned.

The body of John Naden was left in gallows until his arms and legs fell off on Gun Hill. He had murdered his master and was the last person to be hanged in Leek.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
The body of John Naden was left in gallows until his arms and legs fell off on Gun Hill. He had murdered his master and was the last person to be hanged in Leek.

I thought you weren't superstitious.  No wonder you can't find this boulder if every time you go up there you start crying like a little girl.

As far as I'm aware I've never had an experience like the ones mentioned.  I wonder how many of these incidents took place when 'over hung'.  And I don't mean in the sense that Ron Jeremy is.

webbo

• forum hero
about 2 miles towards Hebden Bridge from widdop rocks there is a old graveyard Blake Dean ,and the ghost of the Green lady ,has been seen  on the 1 in 4 hill right behind them when going up the hill  past the bone yard , the boy scouts ,have a camping bod there now ,  as a youngster i had some near pant filling episodes when going home, up the hill ,and at one time my Lakeland terrier set of and beat it ,home ,i never stopped till i got to the pack horse pub  .

i stayed at this place when i was boy scout and still remember to this day absolutely shitting myself during the night.it didn't help that to get to then bogs you had to walk through the graveyard.the fire buckets ended up filled with something other than water.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal