UKBouldering.com

Unexplained Trouser Fillers (The Twilight Zone of Crag Fear) (Read 15271 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
http://www.aboutaberdeen.com/muchallscastle.php

This is about a mile from the house, and the old smugglers tunnel must go pretty close to us. We reckon we have found the entrance to the old tunnel, need to check it out with pick axes and crowbars.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
I have been reliably informed by 'she who must be obeyed' that the god Pan (the woodland god) gives us the word PANIC (or that unwelcome feeling that you're about to shit yourself whilst thrashing around in the woods looking for boulders)! I copied this from Wikipedia in and attempt to look knowledgable - paragraph 2 should cover it.

"The worship of Pan began in Arcadia, and Arcadia was always the principal seat of his worship. Arcadia was a district of primitive mountain folk, whom other Greeks disdained, as the Olympians patronized Pan. Arcadian hunters used to scourge the statue of the god if they had been disappointed in the chase (Theocritus. vii. 107).

Pan inspired sudden fear in lonely places, Panic (panikon deima). Following the Titans' assault on Olympus, Pan claimed credit for the victory of the gods because he had inspired disorder and fear in the attackers resulting in the word 'panic' to describe these emotions. Of course, Pan was later known for his music, capable of arousing inspiration, sexuality, or panic, depending on his intentions. In the Battle of Marathon (490 B.C.), it is said that Pan favored the Athenians and so inspired panic in the hearts of their enemies, the Persians."

Mind you, it also says that Pan could also be responsible for bringing on feelings of a sexual nature whilst in the woods...

I'm off for a wank behind a tree......... :wank:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
I was psyched for your post Percy, I thought - ah yes, young Bishton - he often has something interesting to say - perhaps a scary anecdote - a terrifying tale about the Earls bum crack perhaps? but no :

attempt to look knowledgable

its knowledgeable you buffoon.

I'm off for a wank

me too.

widdop

• addict
Webbo ,glad you had a great time at the graveyard camp, do you remember the gritstone outcrop just above the camp on the bend in the road ,spent hours there.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Amazingly, just found out our village was the site of a major UFO "sighting" in the 70s too.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
There's apparently been some weirdness at Winter Hill in the past too.  Never had any problems at Brownstones though :shrug:

webbo

• forum hero
Webbo ,glad you had a great time at the graveyard camp, do you remember the gritstone outcrop just above the camp on the bend in the road ,spent hours there.

scout hut crag.been a few times i was there about a month ago.i was at scout crag opposite widdop on saturday,there's a really good circuit up there now.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
There's always been a good circuit at Scout Crag, just that access has previously been an issue.  With Widdop/ Clattering Stones/ Scout Crag/ Dovestone this is an ace area.
Scout Hut Crag is OK for one or two problems but seems out of condition a lot of the time.
End of off topic.

webbo

• forum hero
i know there has always been a good circuit at scout :yawn:what i meant is that there is a good topo now and if scout hut is only good for one or two problems this would indicate brownstones is only fit for a landfill site. :whistle:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
i know there has always been a good circuit at scout :yawn:what i meant is that there is a good topo now and if scout hut is only good for one or two problems this would indicate brownstones is only fit for a landfill site. :whistle:

Not disputing the recurrent land-fill aspects of Lancs quarries (Stanworth is suffering the same fate, luckily Gaskin's V13 slab survives- for now).
I must admit I've only been to Scout Hut 2 or 3 times, but I must have missed out?  There's thhe V7 arete thing and a couple of others, but most are routes, aren't they?  Tell me if I'm wrong and I'll go have another look.  If the ghost doesn't get me first.

widdop

• addict
the ghost of the green lady ,i was told was a young woman that fell or was pushed of the railway bridge near blake dean ,the bridge was a wooden tressel affare that took the railway up to walshaw res  during the construction of the dams,  its hard to belive there was ever a railway within miles of the place now.I was brought up at widdop and in the late 50s and early 60s scrambling on the rocks was thought to be realy mad ,and the rock was totaly diferent ,when  the grit was sharp

Paul B

• forum hero
One night whilst at Ceuse I wandered down the road to the next village to use the phone, being a bit thick I forgot that the phone booth had an interior light and didn't really pay attention to it getting dark.
Walking back up to the campsite wasn't fun...all I could see (no head torch) was loads of cows eyes reflecting the moon slightly. Definately creeped me out a lot.  :'(

Greg C

• forum hero
There is a ghost at Cringlebarrow, both myself and Nige have seen on separate occasions. Only I carried on climbing but Nige ran away. 

Interestingly the crag itself is part a weird natural stone circle on top of the hill, this got me thinking maybe they used to sacrifice maidens/kill wrong doers up there back in day. Never been able to find any real history about the place although there is another really creepy section of the wood called "Deepdale" (not PNE ground!) it's a really spooky, deep crater full of trees and other things, wooooo!  :o

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Shit. What was that like Greg? Seeing a ghost? I cannot imagine what that would be like. Good decision Nige to run away.

For the record, I'm too scared to go to the toilet at the dispensary (our board) on my own. Since the inception of this thread, I'm actually too scared to go to the dispensary at all on my own anymore. Yes I'm a wet and proud.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Since the inception of this thread, I'm actually too scared to go to the dispensary at all on my own anymore. Yes I'm a wet and proud.
I'm glad one of my threads has made an impact on someone!!!
So who holds your *%$@ hand when you go to the toilet then?   :lol:

Greg/ Nigel, there's a few crags in that area that are moody- crags deep in the trees.  Any more details on this ghostie?

Monolith

• forum hero
I basically have to hold any excesses in until I arrive back to the sanctuary of my home. It's not fun I can tell you.

Would love to hear more on Lancs/Lakes ghosties aye.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
but did experience a inexplicable 'cold spot' once just after the gate walking upto Kyloe in the Woods. Sent a chill through everyones spine!

Kyloe-In is certainly a place I would never go on my own - far too spooky for that.

I remember sleeping out on my own at Symonds Yat a couple of times and getting the shit scared out of me when the wind whipped up and my imagination started playing - mind you that was probably more the fear of a cottaging local coming to donate me some oats than ghosties.

But in general, the scariest places I've known are old mines. You will often feel "T'owd man" breathing down your neck in those places.

In Oxlow Caverns (where the romans used to work slaves to death apparantly) I have heard voices following us all the way down to the bottom of the cave. We even waited for the following party to appear but in fact, there was nobody else in that or any nearby cave (it was about 1am and no other cars parked up nearby). Very scary indeed.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 01:12:13 pm by Bubba, Reason: spelling of T\'owd man »

AndiT

• forum abuser
Yeah, caving is a different ball game altogether for spooking. I know of very few serious cavers who haven't got a story to tell. I read a good article which discussed the dangers of caving. Being killed by ghosts came very high up in the dangers list, not physically, but just getting freaked out and getting into trouble because of it.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Just heard Nige's Cringlebarrow story first hand. Hopefully he or Greg'll post up a bit more, its in a different league to the stuff posted so far. I would have soiled myself.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Chapman recited this tale to me a while ago don't blame Kershaw for running away, what greg fails to mention is that he went hunting for the ghost brandishing a cutlass.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
C'mon Nick Kershaw and Graham Chapman....  Spill the beans dudes.   :please:

Monolith

• forum hero
Aye, still want to hear this story...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal