UKBouldering.com

Hubble (Read 7148 times)

Nigel

• forum hero
Hubble
September 26, 2004, 10:22:17 pm
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=3825

Hubble has had 5 ascents, not 4. You learn something new every day.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Hubble
September 26, 2004, 11:07:31 pm
Welcome to last September's hot topic...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=57315

...do keep up old chap  :wink:

dave

#2 Hubble
September 26, 2004, 11:13:32 pm
arran willis? whats the crack?

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#3 Hubble
September 26, 2004, 11:48:00 pm
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

WTF? fill us in Fiend as i refuse to register on c...rocktalk :wink:  as a matter of principle.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#4 Hubble
September 27, 2004, 10:32:16 am
Basically he wouldn't say much about it and didn't want to get drawn into any "who's done what" discussions.

Since then he broke something quite badly kitesurfing and gave up climbing for a while.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#5 Hubble
September 27, 2004, 10:43:33 am
don't blame him for wantin to discuss it. he prob did it really quick as well

JR

• forum abuser
#6 Hubble
September 27, 2004, 07:13:05 pm
x Topic - Hubble 4th ascent?!
x by - Fiend ? on - 15 Sep 2003
Or is it 5th?!?

Wh00p anyway...
x by - Adam Lincoln ? on - 15 Sep 2003
In reply to Fiend:
4th - If its SD, this was months ago...
x by - Daniel S ? on - 15 Sep 2003
In reply to Fiend:

By who?
x by - Ian Hill ? on - 15 Sep 2003
In reply to Adam Lincoln: and nobody seemed to be impressed then either...shame...
In reply to Ian Hill:

Impressed, but the only people to be impressed where people in the know as Steve didnt exactly make it public, did he!?
In reply to Adam Lincoln: but there was a thread on here and it raised very little comment...
x by - betablocker on - 15 Sep 2003 - gateway102.gsi.gov.uk
In reply to Ian Hill:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln) and nobody seemed to be impressed then either...shame...

Maybe because its not an inspiring line and its a 4th ascent?
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

I thought there must be someone else apart from BM, MS, JG...

Must be 5th then!!
In reply to Fiend:

4th? Or is my maths that bad

Well 4 ascents including Steves and then another one apparently...
In reply to Fiend:

Ahh, when was this?
x by - Tyler ? on - 15 Sep 2003
In reply to Ian Hill:

I'm impressed any ascent of this would put it in the top 5 ascents of this year.

Come one fiend, tell us the mystery ascentionist.

Well, I am assuming if someone has it on their profile as a favourite route, they must have climbed it (even only as a redpoint)...
In reply to Fiend: ...and anything but a redpoint would be truly impressive...
In reply to Fiend:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln)
>
> Well, I am assuming if someone has it on their profile as a favourite route, they must have climbed it (even only as a redpoint)...

I don't see the logic there at all...I have favourite problems I WANT to climb...

Arran where are you????
In reply to Fiend:

Oh right, probably not then. I noticed AW had it on his profile but lots of people have aspirational routes on there or routes they have only seconded so why not a route you have just worked. If he has actually done it then well done as its probably the 4th hardest route in the country.
x by - Ha! on - 15 Sep 2003 - proxify.com
In reply to Tyler:

Wouldnt believe much in there!

If you HAD done Reticent Wall, you would be able to spell it
In reply to Ian Hill & Tyler:

Righty ho lads new topic time.
In reply to Ha!:

But he actually says he has done that rather than just put it in his list of favourite routes so its safe to assume he's done it.
x by - Arran Willis ? on - 15 Sep 2003
In reply to Tyler:

reticent wall was climbed by myself and another guy called ian brown (sadly departed) in may 2002. the ascent hasnt been 100% confirmed as there is doubt over 2 of the pitches as we may have gone off route, but the few other guys to have climbed it werent sure themselves if we'd gone right or wrong. this should be cleared up in the next few months as a team will be taking lots of photos so we should be able to compare.

as for hubble then there were several people, myself included, working it in jan/feb of last year. im sure that there have been some more ascents since as some of the guys had it linked.

i DO NOT publiscise any of my climbs. i seek no prestige or respect but merely my own satisfaction. if you have a serious issue then contact me directly. im currently not climbing, and havent done for nearly a year, as a personal tragedy has prevented me from getting my head into gear.
In reply to Ha!:

dont start on my spelling, i have problems with it, nuff said
In reply to Arran Willis:

Hold on, did you reply to me by mistake or did you just misinterpert what I said? I was sticking up for your right to put Hubble in your list and wasn't questioning RW either.
In reply to Tyler:
sorry, just hit a random reply button. no offence! im trying to put some facts down before people go off on a hooly about me. cheers though
x by - trolly on - 15 Sep 2003
In reply to Arran Willis: have you done it then?
x by - Ian Dunn on - 15 Sep 2003 - host81-130-211-88.in-addr.btopenworld.com
In reply to betablocker: It may not be an inspiring line but anyone who can redpoint it deserves some credit as it is still up there with the hardest routes in the UK. Most people even the strongest can hardly pull on the holds let alone link it. Its not the line its the difficulty that counts on this one.
In reply to Ian Dunn:

very true, its the difficulty not the line. since people get so obsessed with who's climbed what route, how etc i dont tend to say if ive climbed something or not in the uk. different story in the states though. with my view on it im only challenging myself and if im blagging about a route then im only kidding myself, as is anyone else. if i do a route then i go home and feel good myself, i dont need or want hundreds of people talking about it and measuring me up to others, my personal victory
In reply to Arran Willis: so youve done it?
In reply to trolly:

aragh!!! im not saying since i dont want to be put into a catagory where people start judging my climbing, ethics or even me. my climbing is my climbing, not everyones to know. let it rest that i may have, but then i may not have.
In reply to Arran Willis: why not be honest
In reply to Arran Willis: If you've done it Arran congratulations, you should be prepared to accept praise from others as many of the best would like to have done this route. A 4th or 5th ascent of this route is significant, as it has represented a high water mark in UK sport climbing for years now.
In reply to trolly: if you had just told RT you had done it everyone would have said good work fella, now im not sure the masses will believe you
x by - Anonymous on - 15 Sep 2003 - 213.120.90.59 whois?

Don't be so shy!
x by - Paul Sully on - 15 Sep 2003 - du-069-0002.access.clara.net
In reply to trolly:

It also says in his profile that his hardest worked grade is 7c+, which would suggest that he's not done it...
In reply to Ian Dunn:

at least there is someone who respects others ethics. ive never needed to be congratulated. if i crack a route then i'll be in a really good mental state for weeks. there may be more ascents as ive heard of a few people climbing like myself. yes i've been on it a fair bit and anyone that publicly climbs it will have my respect.

trolly: please drop it as you're not going to get any routes out of me
In reply to Paul Sully:

if i put anything too high then i get you lot breathing down my neck. very tempted to blank out my profile now.
x by - Big un hard on - 15 Sep 2003 - proxify.com

Yeah, cos that would be big and hard!

x by - Paul Sully on - 15 Sep 2003 - du-069-0002.access.clara.net

But then you also get people breathing down your neck if you imply that you've done Hubble, after all, its grade is not a secret.
In reply to Paul Sully:

had enough of this now. bye
x by - Anonymous on - 15 Sep 2003 - 213.120.90.59 whois?
In reply to Paul Sully:
> (In reply to Arran Willis)
>
> But then you also get people breathing down your neck if you imply that you've done Hubble, after all, its grade is not a secret.

Does seem a bit daft to say you've been on route but not admit if you've climbed it

x by - Chris Parker on - 15 Sep 2003 - 0-1pool20-203.nas7.boise1.id.us.da.qwest.net
In reply to Ian Dunn:
> (In reply to betablocker) It may not be an inspiring line but anyone who can redpoint it deserves some credit as it is still up there with the hardest routes in the UK. Most people even the strongest can hardly pull on the holds let alone link it. Its not the line its the difficulty that counts on this one.

I agree.

(And out of curiosity, is this THE Ian "Squawk" Dunn? If it is - how's it going old man? Long time no see.

In reply to Chris Parker: Hi Chris it is Squawk.
I manage and run Climb Rochdale and its going good.
Give me a phone call 01706 524450 sometime working hours and I catch up.
All the best.
x by - Chris Parker on - 15 Sep 2003 - 0-2pool17-59.nas8.boise1.id.us.da.qwest.net
In reply to Ian Dunn:
Hey Ian,
I only discovered this site a couple weeks ago (I'm still living in America), and now I'm glad I did. A nice coincidence, "running into" you again.
I'll give you a call in a few days.
Cheers,
Chris.
x by - Anonymous on - 15 Sep 2003 - modem-73.benadryl.dialup.pol.co.uk [webcacheM03b.cache.pol.co.uk]
In reply to Arran Willis: dude did you do it with that ironing board on your back?
In reply to Anonymous:

eh? 8c+ with an ironing board on your back. i'll let you decide
x by - Anonymous on - 15 Sep 2003 - modem-54.technetium.dialup.pol.co.uk [webcacheM04b.cache.pol.co.uk]
In reply to Arran Willis: it just looks so crrraaayyyzzzeeeee man, bet you could.
In reply to Anonymous:

pulling on those silly edges (highly inadequeate for the duration) needs loads of balance. i think an ironing board would really put you off. not sure about taking a fall (even on a sport route) with board on your back. saying that though its pretty overhanging so you might get away with it. i think i'll stick to good old chalk, draws, harness n stickies thanks
x by - Anonymous on - 15 Sep 2003 - modem-54.technetium.dialup.pol.co.uk [webcacheM04b.cache.pol.co.uk]
In reply to Arran Willis: you look a bit of a crazy type. get it wired and do it with the board. f*ck the doubters
In reply to Anonymous:

do i know you? have an itchy feeling. what are you basing your info on. im curious now
In reply to Arran Willis: youve obviously done it to get the 4th (or 5th) the board would rock!
In reply to Anonymous:

ive been out of it for nearly a year. just starting training again so it'd be a while before i could look at it again. i'll concider the board for some other routes, possibly some old projects that need dusting off as they're lain untouched for a while. why so full on with the board?
x by - Anonymous on - 15 Sep 2003 - modem-11.rubidium.dialup.pol.co.uk [webcacheM03b.cache.pol.co.uk]
In reply to Arran Willis: it would be funny. how far did you get? the first bit alone nearly wipes me out
In reply to Anonymous:

if you want to talk in detail about it then email me with some clue as to who you are and i might be more forthcoming on my ascent (dont want people yelling about it here and there). it does ease on the fingers a tadge but does become more reachy and balancy after the lower section. if you link the whole thing, in any style, then you'll be badly pumped and the first joint (after yor tips) in your hands will feel punnished. there are some killer crimps on the edges eh?
x by - Anonymous on - 15 Sep 2003 - modem-51.bromine.dialup.pol.co.uk [webcacheM05b.cache.pol.co.uk]
In reply to Arran Willis: i know dude, i have linked it. took a while and ill never do it with the board on.
In reply to Anonymous:

if you've linked it and are familiar then you'll probably be aware that its so thin that changing anything puts you totally off. i changed stickies and harness half way through it and it took me a few weeks to get back to where i was. not the greatest line, but nearly every move is a fight.
x by - Anonymous on - 16 Sep 2003 - modem-56.praseodymium.dialup.pol.co.uk [webcacheM06b.cache.pol.co.uk]
In reply to Arran Willis: i am taking the piss about the baord, dont be so serious dude. where did you get to? it took me ages and im local to the place
x by - Arran Willis ? on - 16 Sep 2003
In reply to Anonymous:

not disclosing wether ive got the route or not as i dont want the press. i was living in buxton for a few months at the time. was climbing a series of projects and was at the best ive ever been. i spent 2 months going to it a few times a week, near the end i was there nearly every day.
x by - Anonymous on - 16 Sep 2003 - modem-56.praseodymium.dialup.pol.co.uk [webcacheM06b.cache.pol.co.uk]
In reply to Arran Willis: you wont get any press the thread will be forgotten about in a day. come on man, lead or not? i top roped it, there, ive come clean
In reply to Arran Willis: come to think about it i was there nearly 18 months to a year ago. who were you there with? locals?
In reply to Anonymous:

i was with a bunch of yanks (id just come back to the uk after living there for a bit). it was their territory as they reguarly climbed in the wastach range which is very similar. i would have been about when you were trying it too. we were a crowd with a boulder mat sofa, loads of tea making and normally there at first light. send me an email and i might let you know. dont want to turn back on my word on the forum
x by - Anonymous on - 16 Sep 2003 - modem-94.gallium.dialup.pol.co.uk [webcacheM07b.cache.pol.co.uk]
In reply to Arran Willis: dont think i saw you as i would have remembered that. will drop you a line tomorrow
In reply to Anonymous:

the few people that were at the crag usually got tea coffee and a bacon sarnie off us. brekkie at ravenstor in the freezing cold was great. shame i missed you, could have done with a local on occasion. give me a bell and we might have a chat. intrigued as to who you are now.
x by - Hubble the dumbal on - 16 Sep 2003 - 62.105.87.149 whois?
In reply to Fiend:

Well done .changing your harness and your boots half way up an 8 something or over is really impressive. I manged to change my harnes half way up the Dru whilst having a shite , that was exciting enough.
x by - BrianT ? on - 17 Sep 2003
> (In reply to trolly)
>
> aragh!!! im not saying since i dont want to be put into a catagory where people start judging my climbing, ethics or even me. my climbing is my climbing, not everyones to know. let it rest that i may have, but then i may not have.

I felt the same after my ascent of Fluted Columns at Almscliff..DOH! What a giveaway!
x by - trolly on - 17 Sep 2003
In reply to BrianT: the judge of your climbing? if you did it, it should speak for itself.
x by - trolly on - 17 Sep 2003
In reply to trolly: sorry that was in reply to mr blu

JR

• forum abuser
#7 Hubble
September 27, 2004, 07:32:19 pm
There we go gruff...

Not sure there is many climbers around that have onsighted E7, scottish 6, climbed E9 and 8c+ and A5.

Word to him if he has....

John

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#8 Hubble
September 27, 2004, 09:35:39 pm
I would just like to point out that although I started that topic as a gentle poke in Arran's direction, I left loooonnnng before the bitching started. :chase:  :evill:  :bdays:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#9 Hubble
September 27, 2004, 10:02:49 pm
never have i read such nonsense

ian h

• forum abuser
#10 Hubble
September 27, 2004, 11:41:33 pm
i think arran willis changed his name to sky blu

here is his profile

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=3825

Nigel

• forum hero
#11 Hubble
September 27, 2004, 11:55:42 pm
Obviously just a limestone warrior:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=50197&v=1#665052

Guest appearance from our very own D to the ave.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#12 Hubble
September 28, 2004, 09:40:26 am
He's either in a different league to the rest of us mortals or a complete fantasist.

My money is on the latter.

Even I know Brad Pitt isn't harder than V9 and can still almost get my foot up to the ledge when I'm weak shit and semi injured!

Anyone that thinks it was V12+ is unlikely to have climbed the grades he has claimed.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#13 Hubble
September 28, 2004, 01:27:22 pm
think there's a lot of arguments for V10 on brad pit (sept c plus)
geting your foot on the ledge is easy (unless you've got dense's hips :lol: ), its the two moves after that are hard although for one strong lass it has been renamed Brad Path

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 Hubble
September 29, 2004, 09:45:51 am
It's currently still in at 7c+, with a caveat in the text that the 7c/7c+ debate still rages on. To be fair most I've asked told me 7c+ with the exception of JB, and a few others (mostly who havn't done it, reckon they could, but don't climb 7c+, which is a shaky argument at best.)

I think it's 7c along with the Terrace, which is incidentally in at 7c+ too at the moment.

jonP

• obsessive maniac
#15 Hubble
September 29, 2004, 01:04:06 pm
Ru, what grade does the crack on The Sheep boulder at Burbage South get in the new guide?  :wink:

Nigel

• forum hero
#16 Hubble
September 29, 2004, 01:14:04 pm
I've done both Ru, I reckon both of them are 7c. Or 7c+. Depending on conditions. Remember this is grit and grades aren't exact, I would just put whichever as the're both in the reet ballpark. Probably the most important thing is that they both get the same grade, whichever grade you pick.

JR

• forum abuser
#17 Hubble
September 29, 2004, 03:24:40 pm
Quote from: "the owen"
Cheers JR! Now I know why I'm not registered (and that wasn't even a bad one!) How's the injury?

g

Well it was good...

My elbow is well on its way to recovery its just weaker than an osteoperotic granny.  However my wrist is still screwed and really hurst.  theyve discovered what they think is a cyst growing on the bone.  Gotta go and see a new specialist about it on friday and get it checked out.  But it doesnt look good if it is a cyst from what ive found on the web....

Bit of a shitter really seeing as it was going so well...

http://arthritis-symptom.com/a-c/bone-cysts.htm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal