UKBouldering.com

Weight loss and grade improvement (Read 11209 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#25 Re: Weight loss and grade improvement
October 30, 2015, 02:55:17 pm

Smoking works really well too...
In my experience, nothing legal works as well as smoking

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
#26 Re: Weight loss and grade improvement
October 30, 2015, 03:06:19 pm
I guess everyone has a natural "fighting weight" which if you go above you're gonna struggle on "dirkers" and if you go below you feel good in the fingers but arms/shoulders/body gets weak and of course you are probably in injury territory!

It is probably good to keep track of your weight and how you are climbing.....Its a pretty awesome feeling when you feel strong down the wall, then weigh yourself and find you're slightly heavier than expected!

Being light to climb hard is akin to selling your soul to the Devil......quick gains, long term regret.....I guess I am still suffering from starving myself as a younger man and screwing up my joints!

Plus as a good friend once said "who wants to stand naked in front of a woman (*or man) looking like a pre pubescent boy"

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#27 Re: Weight loss and grade improvement
October 30, 2015, 03:39:42 pm
I guess everyone has a natural "fighting weight" which if you go above you're gonna struggle on "dirkers" and if you go below you feel good in the fingers but arms/shoulders/body gets weak and of course you are probably in injury territory!

It is probably good to keep track of your weight and how you are climbing.....Its a pretty awesome feeling when you feel strong down the wall, then weigh yourself and find you're slightly heavier than expected!

Being light to climb hard is akin to selling your soul to the Devil......quick gains, long term regret.....I guess I am still suffering from starving myself as a younger man and screwing up my joints!

Plus as a good friend once said "who wants to stand naked in front of a woman (*or man) looking like a pre pubescent boy"
Amen to that.
I'm glad you wrote it, so that I didn't have to!

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#28 Re: Weight loss and grade improvement
October 30, 2015, 05:28:26 pm
I don't think its coincidence i climbed my hardest stuff when i was 1 stone lighter than i am now. 8b's quickly and 8b+. Though i was also climbing full time and getting outdoors 4/5 times a week. I wasn't training so didn't need the calories. Its not something you can sustain for very long. 6 weeks maybe, tops. Not sure about bouldering as i wasn't doing much back then.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#29 Re: Weight loss and grade improvement
October 30, 2015, 06:04:37 pm
As Adam said...

In my twenties, when climbing hard, I was ~72kg.
On my "resurrection", at it's peak, in 2010; I was 74kg and 7C/8A projecting.
Now, with various "itis" type thingys going on (and general old age stuff) sitting around 87kg.
Still strong enough to manage Muscle-ups and one armers but feel too damn heavy to climb anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doylo

• forum hero
#30 Re: Weight loss and grade improvement
October 30, 2015, 06:46:48 pm
I find you get 3/4 weeks of awesomeness after initial diet so need to time it right.

B0405413

• addict
#31 Re: Weight loss and grade improvement
October 31, 2015, 04:33:41 pm
Cheers for the replies, I agree that feeling light does not necessarily equate to being light.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#32 Re: Weight loss and grade improvement
November 02, 2015, 10:12:51 am
Same as feeling shite does not necessarily equate to being shite.

B0405413

• addict
#33 Re: Weight loss and grade improvement
November 02, 2015, 11:47:01 am
This is true.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal