UKBouldering.com

Peak Profits : The Business of Rock Climbing (Read 5056 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Really good that. Nice to see some actual figures to back it up for a change.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Yep, I found that interesting too. Striking how trivial the actual *climbing* part of the industry is; makes me we're fortunate  to have companies like DMM, Petzl, Sportiva making such excellent kit.

I guess for the like of DMM and Petzl the main business these days is largely rope access/military stuff, and the recreational equipment is pretty much a sideline because it was the founder's hobby (?)

tomtom

• forum hero
Great article. More than the usual 3 sources of info and some interesting soundbites...

Anyone fancy opening another bouldering wall in Sheffield? ;)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
I'm game. We just need to make sure there's plenty of room near the Beastmakers for ironing boards.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Yep, I found that interesting too. Striking how trivial the actual *climbing* part of the industry is; makes me we're fortunate  to have companies like DMM, Petzl, Sportiva making such excellent kit.

That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who has worked in outdoor retail and has some insight into the relative profit margins of different items. Climbing is the window-dressing, often literally, to the serious business of selling anoraks to dog-walkers. Applies more widely too I imagine.

Good luck to Fred Stone, it was a ballsy move to set up a central London wall, and he knows who pays his bills (I'm not one of them!). The latest iteration of The Arch is the wall furthest evolved from rock-climbing training facility to soft-play for grown-ups so far.

Paul B

• forum hero

If we're talking anoraks here then sure, but for gear the relative profit margins do make me question why we have companies (especially more than 1 i.e. Wild Country / DMM) producing hardware!

T_B

• forum hero
If it was just about money, we'd all be working in London as traders. Ego and lifestyle come in to play.

Stubbs

Thanks for sharing Slackers, v interesting.

I guess it's easy to say that new climbing walls don't take custom from older ones when your potential customer base is a few million for London.

AlistairB

• addict
Really good that. Nice to see some actual figures to back it up for a change.

+1

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
'I still find the whole thing a little bit vulgar,' says Gresham, who is 43. 'But I try and participate, because I should.'

Jeez, that's a bit rich. Anyone else remember all those photos fifteen years ago where he and Tim competed to fit the most logos on their tight t-shirts whilst posing on hidden top-ropes? Pretty much the nadir of climbing photography. We can thank the democratising effect of digital photography for a little more realism nowadays.

petejh

• forum hero
Interesting article thanks Slackers.

'I still find the whole thing a little bit vulgar,' says Gresham, who is 43. 'But I try and participate, because I should.'

Jeez, that's a bit rich. Anyone else remember all those photos fifteen years ago where he and Tim competed to fit the most logos on their tight t-shirts whilst posing on hidden top-ropes? Pretty much the nadir of climbing photography. We can thank the democratising effect of digital photography for a little more realism nowadays.

Gresham and Emmett cashed in their souls in exchange for media profile long ago  :lol: If there are two climbers I most associate with pushing their profile in the media, it's these two tellers of preposterous tales.
Gresham has made some interesting comments recently about hype-versus-substance - in this month's issue of Climb for instance he makes an impassioned case against social media hype. I found myself completely agreeing with what he wrote whilst thinking it was weird coming from one of the climbers who set the bar for hype! (justified or not is a different question - plenty of people well below Gresham's level)

dave

Perhaps old age has brought about a road-to-Damascus style conversion?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal