UKBouldering.com

Recommendations for April / May? (Read 4017 times)

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
Recommendations for April / May?
January 10, 2015, 07:44:33 am
I'm hoping to do a three week bouldering trip to Europe in April and May. Font is the obvious option, but any recommendations on other areas?

My criteria are:
- loads of good problems in the 7s (depending on how well I'm going, a soft 8A or so to go at wouldn't be amiss)
- an average weather forecast that doesn't spell continuous rain
- closeish to cities for something to do in rest days
- accommodation options not limited to camping
- not rammed full of people but also suitable for a solo mission

I've spent time in the Peak, Font and Magic Wood, so somewhere new would be nice but not mandatory - I have plenty of unfinished business.

Thanks.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#1 Re: Recommendations for April / May?
January 10, 2015, 08:14:22 am
With font and magic there's no need to go anywhere else ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Recommendations for April / May?
January 10, 2015, 09:35:07 am
Torridon. Only a couple of hours to Thurso for surf on rest days. Bring droewors.

205Chris

• forum hero
#3 Re: Recommendations for April / May?
January 10, 2015, 09:42:38 am
Torridon. Only a couple of hours to Thurso for surf on rest days. Bring droewors.

I went to Torridon instead of Font it October and it was brilliant. Way more scenic and less spolit than Font, plus the top outs don't fuck your elbows up.

Plenty of amazing 7s plus a soft 8 in Stokes Croft.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#4 Re: Recommendations for April / May?
January 10, 2015, 07:10:53 pm

Narrow self-interest noted there, Chris, but an interesting suggestion - the vids I've seen look great.

Rainfall likelihood (what with it being Scotland!)? Things to do in the vicinity?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#5 Re: Recommendations for April / May?
January 11, 2015, 09:34:02 am
Rainfall likelihood (what with it being Scotland!)?
Fucking massive.

Things to do in the vicinity?
Fucking nothing.

It's a complete gamble weather-wise, it's usually one of the wettest places in the whole UK (after Fort William) BUT April/May are usually decent and often great. You'll be able to get a good idea the day before what the weather is like. The boulders are very open and do dry quickly.

Other stuff to do in the area: climbing more rocks, climbing different rocks, climbing bigger rocks. Walking / biking, errr that really is it. There's good pubs and cafes all within an hour.

It is is one of the most beautiful places in the entire UK, with some of the best climbing :)

P.S. I want some droewors too :whereisthenomnomnomsmiley??:

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#6 Re: Recommendations for April / May?
January 13, 2015, 10:15:54 am
It is is one of the most beautiful places in the entire UK world

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Recommendations for April / May?
January 13, 2015, 10:36:39 am
Pretty much what Fiend said, although April/May has not been as reliable in recent years. I'm hoping that after the last few months of very warm,wet weather cooler conditions will arrive later this year.Feel free to PM me nearer the time for updates to the NW Highlands weather,that goes for other UKBers as well of course.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#8 Re: Recommendations for April / May?
January 14, 2015, 05:21:15 am
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Torridon looks / sounds amazing and is definitely on the shortlist.

Does anyone know what Cresciano / Chironico / Brione will be like in terms of conditions at that time?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#9 Re: Recommendations for April / May?
January 14, 2015, 09:43:26 am
Hot beyond belief, don't even think about them dom

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#10 Re: Recommendations for April / May?
January 14, 2015, 11:41:57 am
Hot beyond belief, don't even think about them dom

Sounds like Magic or Torridon then. Choices, choices.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Recommendations for April / May?
January 14, 2015, 01:39:10 pm
Things to do in the vicinity?

Hillwalking, eating , whisky drinking, fishing, diving, sailing, mountain biking. You are probably an hour and a bit from Sutherland, and the incredible N Coast surf spots. You could get the ferry from Ullapool to Lewis and have some of the best waves in Europe pretty much to yourself. About an your to Inverness with all the tourist delights and a good chance od seeing the real Loch Ness Monster (in season). April there might even be a bit of snow left on Cairngorm if you fancied going for a bit of a boarding. Oh and you could probably get onto Skye in an hour and a bit too.

cha1n

• forum hero
#12 Re: Recommendations for April / May?
January 16, 2015, 12:55:53 pm
If you end up stopping off at a few places, I went to Ailefroide after magic wood and had a good few weeks there, 3 weeks might be a push though unless you're projecting. I preferred the place to magic wood but I'm biased as I didn't really like magic wood very much.

I guess it'll be baking hot there at that time of year (though there is a ski resort not far away that's open until early April) but I really like Targasonne though I don't think it's very close to a big city...

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#13 Re: Recommendations for April / May?
January 29, 2015, 05:39:07 am
Would Brione / Cresciano / Chironico be too warm in early April? I sense that Font would be rammed full of people at that time.

fried

• forum hero
#14 Re: Recommendations for April / May?
January 29, 2015, 07:08:35 am
Your only problem with Font, is going to be finding accomodation during the easter holidays (beginning of April). It's always possible, even on the busiest days to find somewhere quiet to climb. Should be first on your list at that time of year :jab:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal