UKBouldering.com

Beach bouldering in the Sun (Read 2939 times)

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
Beach bouldering in the Sun
March 09, 2014, 10:57:52 pm
Yep its holiday season, and as I'm approaching the big 4 0 I've been offered some money towards a minibreak for me and the better half.

Need to meet her needs as well as mine so somewhere warm and by the sea/beach affair for the young lady, and some bouldering/ exploratory adventure for me that may not need more than boots and chalkbag.

I feel this is probably a familiar scenario, we're based in North Wales so flights from liverpool or at a push manchester is a definate bonus

Hosey

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1 Re: Beach bouldering in the Sun
March 09, 2014, 11:10:22 pm
I'm going to throw DWS in Croatia out there (was this in Depth Charge?) despite knowing nothing about the venues or otherwise. The country itself sounds a lot of fun and there happens to be some good music festivals in summer if you like that sort of thing.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Beach bouldering in the Sun
March 10, 2014, 06:58:02 am
Virgin Gorda looks like a great location http://lt11.com/virgin-gorda-paradise-bouldering/

Plattsy

• forum hero
#3 Re: Beach bouldering in the Sun
March 10, 2014, 07:56:13 am
More options further a field.
Cat Ba Island, Ha Long Bay, Vietnam. Bouldering, sport and DWS (Vietnamese junk rides round the bay. Women love that nautical shit).
Koh Tao, Thailand. Bouldering, sport.
Sydney, Bouldering.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#4 Re: Beach bouldering in the Sun
March 10, 2014, 08:22:11 am
Somewhere on here I think there's a topic about some island in the med. Greek perhaps.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Beach bouldering in the Sun
March 10, 2014, 08:42:11 am
Porth Ysgo.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Beach bouldering in the Sun
March 28, 2014, 09:49:40 am
do you want to climb every day or just a few? the almeria area of spain is nice and has a could of nice bouldering spots but not loads. there is an awesome spot on monsul beach for bouldering tho. have a look on line, its in the cabo de gata.

Durbs

• forum hero
#8 Re: Beach bouldering in the Sun
April 11, 2014, 04:53:47 pm
+1 for Croatia, although the food ain't great (especially if any of you are vegetarian)

For 'special' trip - Madagascar is apparently ace for both climbing and non-climbing. Bit of a PITA to get to though.

Rough budget?

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Beach bouldering in the Sun
April 11, 2014, 05:44:59 pm
I'd love some ideas for this too... MrsTT likes beaches and sun. I don't like beaches or sun (well a little is OK), but if there is nearby or on beach boulderization potential!!! Its a shame the Canaries have no beach venues...

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#10 Re: Beach bouldering in the Sun
April 11, 2014, 06:00:23 pm
In the once-in-a-lifetime category:

- Seychelles (La Digue ... can vouch for this personally ... still no guidebook AFAIK)

- Hawaii (not sure where the cliffs are specifically but US mags have run sporadic articles)

- Humbold coast, North California (almost mainstream, Sharma amongst the developers)

Hawaii - not so much....  Most of the bouldering is in rocky talus beach areas and is also quite a drive.  There's a tiny bit at waiamea beach, but just a little. 

Humbolt has great climbing, but I wouldn't call it sunny/warm beach.  Lots of fog/rain/cold water(pacific).

Virgin Gorda looks like a great location http://lt11.com/virgin-gorda-paradise-bouldering/
+1 All of the people I've talked to about this place say it incredible.  I haven't been yet, but it's high on the travel list after I finally knock off font, swiss, and rocklands :)

Sintra area in Portugal has some beach bouldering, nice history, near to big city, etc.  Could be decent.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Beach bouldering in the Sun
April 11, 2014, 09:42:35 pm
I thought Sintra was in the hills quite a way from the coast?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#12 Re: Beach bouldering in the Sun
April 11, 2014, 10:50:24 pm
Mexico? I found a cool little limestone crag on the beach underneath the historic temple/ruins at Tulum. Lots of decent cheap places to stay round there (it was our before getting married, instead of honeymoon type holiday so we were in more upmarket accommodation but the cheap places have good reviews), amazing people, truly great food, tequila......

You also have the advantage there that it's one of the most stunning stretches of beach in the world and just down the road is this...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1200819-d561014-Reviews-Sian_Ka_an_Biosphere_Reserve-Sian_Ka_an_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

..which is absolutely amazing.

It was nearly ten years ago when we went but reviews seem to say that it's not been completely spoiled yet and I recall someone on here mentioning other climbing possibilities in the area.

You fly to Cancun, but it's not like that just down the coast!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#13 Re: Beach bouldering in the Sun
April 22, 2014, 10:47:15 pm
In the once-in-a-lifetime category:

- Seychelles (La Digue ... can vouch for this personally ... still no guidebook AFAIK)

- Hawaii (not sure where the cliffs are specifically but US mags have run sporadic articles)

- Humbold coast, North California (almost mainstream, Sharma amongst the developers)

La Digue, can back this up (honey moon), utterly amazing but don't expect good conditions, but great problems.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal