UKBouldering.com

gooDADvice (Read 241842 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#525 Re: gooDADvice
August 26, 2016, 01:48:34 pm
she couldn't reach a hold.
Then kicked her brother because he could.

Definitely a tactic to remember next time I'm out with tomtom

What was that? I couldn't hear you up here... :)
I think the low PPO2 is affecting you...

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. Looking at you, here, Dense.

tomtom

• forum hero
#526 Re: gooDADvice
September 04, 2016, 10:56:30 am
100% middle class question... but with the arrival of TT jnr, time has disappeared - so has time to go out shopping. Anyone any beta on online supermarket ordering/delivery etc..? I've never done it, and I just get the impression Occado is expensive and the rest are shades of efficiency/price as might be expected from their brand...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#527 Re: gooDADvice
September 04, 2016, 11:06:03 am
I used to use mysupermarket with some success

also - different supermarkets have offers of money off or free delivery for new customers - I used offers from most of them at some point. setting up your regular purchases at first is a pain, but when you get used to it, it can be loads quicker/clickier

gone back to Aldi now I'm not so stuffed for time/mobility

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#528 Re: gooDADvice
September 04, 2016, 11:08:12 am
I've used Sainsburys for years, buy an annual delivery pass and it works out at about £1 per delivery, I'd use more fuel than that driving there and back.

In years to come it will work out cheaper than taking kiddy to the shop and having to give in to  demands for all sorts of shite.

Rarely have a problem, fruit and veg is always decent, any issues you call an 0800 number and it gets resolved, any refunds for short life, missing or damaged stuff are given no question and usually rounded up (at least as vouchers) as a bit of an apology for the inconvenience.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#529 Re: gooDADvice
September 04, 2016, 11:38:58 am
I'll second the shout for Sainsburys. My other half converted me, I used to insist we went to the shop and always came back with stuff we didn't need (I used to go to Aldi, so would inevitably come back with stuff like an LED fishing cap, wheel trims, nasal hair trimmer, 2 tonne car jack etc etc)

If you have a Nectar card too you can get even more savings at Sainsburys. We placed an order last weekend on Friday night to be delivered on Sunday, but found ourselves in a branch buying some emergency stuff on Saturday afternoon. Spent £5 something, and a voucher for £8 off my next online shop popped out with my reciept. Went home, amended the order and saved money.

Food is generally good quality too, although if you buy steaks you don't get the same opportunity to examine them all thoroughly first! 

dave

#530 Re: gooDADvice
September 04, 2016, 01:51:06 pm
Sainsburys for us. Got same annual delivery pass ting, usually have a weeks shopping arrive on a sunday first thing or evening. Makes meal planning and controlling your spending easy. Could not imagine going back to either wasting hours traipsing around supermarkets any more.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#531 Re: gooDADvice
September 04, 2016, 03:41:47 pm
If you have a Nectar card too you can get even more savings at Sainsburys.
And if you shop using a Sainsbury's credit card (fuel too) you accumulate even more Nectar points.

tomtom

• forum hero
#532 Re: gooDADvice
September 04, 2016, 04:28:53 pm
CHeers all - good to get a consensus..

I'd looked at mysupermarket too - but figured I'd need to cut my teeth on one or more first. Giving Sainsburys a bash anyway (as I quite like them and have a nectar card too..).

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#533 Re: gooDADvice
September 04, 2016, 09:16:41 pm
Despite having got two children to adulthood* I'm not sure I've learnt a single lesson I'd feel confident passing on to a new parent.

* whatever that means.

There's always something to deal with, just that the "something" keeps changing. If it's not establishing sleeping patterns it's teething, then when that's done there's eating / drinking, then toddling / walking, then potty training...

Someone once said to me the problems never go away, they just change over time.

My three are 23, 20, and 17.  These two are spot on and I'll add a third.

Just when you start to think you've got it sorted, one of them will kick the chair out from under you.  EVERYTIME.

galpinos

• forum hero
#534 Re: gooDADvice
September 04, 2016, 10:52:21 pm
Having tried few, we've now settled on going to Aldi. I can do the shop in 30mins (sans sproglets) and it's 2/3rds/half the price of the competition. Despite my initial misgivings, it's good stuff too. Key money savers are wipes, nappies, baby food pouches etc.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#535 Re: gooDADvice
September 05, 2016, 07:14:07 am
I must admit I do still have a soft spot for Aldi. I get a weekly email from them telling me about their latest offers and events etc. I haven't done it myself, but I think you can order some of their stuff to be delivered. The day you can get Aldi to deliver everything to your door will be a good day.

dave

#536 Re: gooDADvice
September 05, 2016, 08:51:33 am
The day you can get Aldi to deliver everything to your door will be a good day.

I imagine you'll have to hold the front door open ready then they'll drive past without stopping whilst throwing the items through your open door.

Aldi is great but it's really suited to having the time to go and look at stuff and pick up bargains, then go to a mainstream supermarket to get the stuff they didn't have or don't sell. I can't be doing with that any more.

galpinos

• forum hero
#537 Re: gooDADvice
September 05, 2016, 09:40:34 am
I imagine you'll have to hold the front door open ready then they'll drive past without stopping whilst throwing the items through your open door.

Last time I was in I was the only person at the checkout with two other empty checkouts and they still threw everything at me. It's like it's some kind of challenge.

It is a little annoying they don't have everything but I have to pop to Quality Save anyway for the lovely Brains 'Barry Island IPA" at 69p a bottle. I'm classy me....

tomtom

• forum hero
#538 Re: gooDADvice
September 05, 2016, 09:42:36 am
Aldi's alright... I like their ground coffee and the meat is decent...

dave

#539 Re: gooDADvice
September 05, 2016, 09:47:23 am
I think Aldi staff have to clock in and out on checkouts are on some kind of targets system to get paid where they have to do a certain number of customers/items per hour, so hence why they fire shit through, then sprint off leaving the chair spinning and smoke coming off the conveyor belt.

Simon W

• menacing presence
#540 Re: gooDADvice
September 05, 2016, 09:57:28 am
You probably won't have time to buy different things from different places anymore but highly recommend the 'Mamia' stuff from Aldi; wipes and nappies are well cheap. The nappies have contained everything my 10 month old has managed to fill them with so far and not had any problems with bum rash.

tomtom

• forum hero
#541 Re: gooDADvice
September 05, 2016, 10:12:51 am
Thats a good shout on the nappy front.
TT jnr has recently moved from shitting 3-4 times a day, to once every 2-4 days. Unsurprisingly this has resulted in a considerable increase in volume... had our first shit up the back of his nappy episode yesterday. Most entertaining.....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#542 Re: gooDADvice
September 05, 2016, 10:18:03 am
Wait til first solids. You'll get a couple where you think, might as well put him in the bath and start again!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#543 Re: gooDADvice
September 05, 2016, 11:32:29 am
Wait til first solids. You'll get a couple where you think, might as well put him in the bath and start again!

I copped one of those yesterday and Una's 2 and a half!

Plus one on the Aldi nappies, we used them all the way through. Plus if you're dropping in to re-stock you can pick up a wetsuit and a sandwich toaster while you're there.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#544 Re: gooDADvice
September 05, 2016, 01:22:42 pm
On the subject of Aldi, is the secret to how cheap it is just down to in store efficiencies? I'm just really struggling to believe that they can offer the prices they do without fucking over the farmers/producers/their staff or the customer (we all know how much cheaper it is to produce unhealthy food that's full of sugar and other nasties)? We had the same experience of ordering online through Sainsbury's and then converting to Aldi when we realised that a weekly shop was about half the price. I've been wondering for a while what we might have traded in to get that financial saving.

I noticed yesterday that my bag of Aldi coffee didn't have a Rainforest Alliance or a Fairtrade logo on it. That doesn't seem right since we, as a society, have spent the past decade or more influencing supermarkets to stock only (or nearly only) Fairtrade coffee, bananas, high welfare chicken etc. Presumably we were willing to pay (or at least said we were willing to pay) for these higher ethical standards; it would be a shame if it was all abandoned at the first whiff of a cheap deal.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#545 Re: gooDADvice
September 05, 2016, 01:32:55 pm
Straying from the thread - separate discussion regarding (online) supermarkets?

Simon W

• menacing presence
#546 Re: gooDADvice
September 05, 2016, 01:55:21 pm
Regularity of dumps seems to vary a lot, mine once went 11 days without then pretty much filled the child seat in the car with baby shit overflow. No nappy would have stood a chance that day.......

My advice would be pack shed loads of wipes, a towel or two and more than one change of clothes once you get over 5 days without a poo. Spare child seat for the car too in an ideal world!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#547 Re: gooDADvice
September 05, 2016, 02:25:04 pm
You can get waterproof liners for car seats, more for toilet training though. Worth figuring out how to get covers off car seats though, especially once kids decide they might start get carsick.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#548 Re: gooDADvice
September 05, 2016, 02:35:54 pm
On the subject of Aldi, is the secret to how cheap it is just down to in store efficiencies? I'm just really struggling to believe that they can offer the prices they do

Just German efficiency applied to pile-it-high-sell-it-cheap I reckon, all suppliers are listed on their website, including Fairtrade, all looks legit.

Not sure everything is Fairtrade though and I have noticed that less of their packaging is recyclable which probably saves them a bit.

I'd guess their profit margin on food is very, very low and they rely on shifting big volumes of all the random non-food stuff (there were scrums when the kids ski gear came into stores last year) and possibly wine to bump it up a bit.

hstmoore

• player
#549 Re: gooDADvice
September 05, 2016, 03:39:09 pm
They also have 4-5 staff in store when a conventional supermarket would have 20-30

As a regular Aldi shopper I'm always amazed how Tesco/Sainsbury's staff can scan thing so slowly on the checkout.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal