UKBouldering.com

Google Chrome OS (Read 7494 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Google Chrome OS
November 20, 2009, 11:14:49 am

Looks ideal for roaming with your netbook (providing you have a decent net connection!)

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#1 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 20, 2009, 11:50:44 am
Strange. I read yesterday that they were going to concentrate on creating an proper android OS for PCs.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#2 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 24, 2009, 09:05:05 am
Strange. I read yesterday that they were going to concentrate on creating an proper android OS for PCs.
Looks like they will be merging the two:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/353503/chrome-os-and-android-to-converge-over-time

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 25, 2009, 12:25:41 pm

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#4 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 25, 2009, 02:20:42 pm
$20 Netbooks?
That's mental - I can see Google ending up being completely hated liked Microsoft.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#5 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 25, 2009, 03:03:28 pm
Remember the '$100' laptop? Cost $199 but you had to buy two on a great deal (buy two only get one) so $398.
The Elonex '£99 laptop', is/was shit and still hasn't been released, meanwhile I bought a better specced netbook for £150.

In other words '$20' will get good headlines, if it costs less than £100/$100 outside a contract it be will rubbish and unusable. Meanwhile there are plenty of 'free' laptops around now, as long as you get them on a 3G contract. Considering it will be unusable without a internet connection you are unlikely to be able to buy them outside a contract.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#6 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 25, 2009, 03:11:13 pm
Remember the '$100' laptop? Cost $199 but you had to buy two on a great deal (buy two only get one) so $398.
The Elonex '£99 laptop', is/was shit and still hasn't been released, meanwhile I bought a better specced netbook for £150.

In other words '$20' will get good headlines, if it costs less than £100/$100 outside a contract it be will rubbish and unusable. Meanwhile there are plenty of 'free' laptops around now, as long as you get them on a 3G contract. Considering it will be unusable without a internet connection you are unlikely to be able to buy them outside a contract.
So will you be placing a pre-order then?  ;D

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#7 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 25, 2009, 03:32:19 pm
But judging by that article the point is to offer a completely different type of netbook and OS and in that way the cost could realistically be reduced to almost fuck all rather than by some shite deal where something is "free" but you pay for it monthly instead of up front. That's what I thought was interesting.

As you say, there are loads of deals about where you can get "free" kit but where you actually pay for it with line rental / monthly allowance etc. These are mainly bollocks or at best work out exactly the same as paying for the kit and shopping around for a usage deal.

This seems different as it would be more about paying much less for the kit because you don't mind not having a HD and can cope with being bombarded with Google's ads. Swings and roundabouts still but a very different strategy.

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 25, 2009, 05:28:19 pm
On a similar ish theme, I've wondered why none of the national newspapers have released a kindle or equivalent that downloads the paper every day... along the model of pay £100 up front and say free Guardian/indy/telegraph for a year etc.. then after a year you pay a subscription thereafter to get the paper (e.g. £20-50 a year) - thereby the newspapers get their income.... and you get a reader/browser etc.. 

On another similarish theme - I'm amazed ryanair dont have free to view TV's on the back of their seats which are laden with ads between the programs... It'll all get to the point soon like in the sci fi films where there are small screens everywhere advertising... I guess these googlebooks/pads are along a similar line. Similar ideas include spotify....

underground

• forum hero
#9 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 25, 2009, 11:23:56 pm
On a similar ish theme, I've wondered why none of the national newspapers have released a kindle or equivalent that downloads the paper every day... along the model of pay £100 up front and say free Guardian/indy/telegraph for a year etc.. then after a year you pay a subscription thereafter to get the paper (e.g. £20-50 a year) - thereby the newspapers get their income.... and you get a reader/browser etc.. 

I wish they would, and if they haven't had the idea, they should do. If it would work for them commercially, of course. I honestly think having a new paper every day on a portable device that was nice to read on would get me reading the papers...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#10 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 26, 2009, 08:51:15 am
I'm fascinated by the differing financial models the papers are going for. It's the defining moment in journalism, some big names will go to the wall and everything will be very different in a very short space of time. I've no idea what the answer is (the above sounding like quite a good one) but I'm damn sure it isn't Murdoch's paywall (the stupid old twat).

I haven't bought a paper for years. We used to get the Observer / Sunday Times but since parenthood that went out the window (lazing around drinking wine on a Sunday?! Did we really?!) and now I just get all my news etc online. Usually as it goes on the websites due to Twitter. Not sure what I'd be willing to pay or for what type of service particularly as I've become so used to it all being free. As I say, it's all very interesting.

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 26, 2009, 08:59:26 am
I'm fascinated by the differing financial models the papers are going for. It's the defining moment in journalism, some big names will go to the wall and everything will be very different in a very short space of time. I've no idea what the answer is (the above sounding like quite a good one) but I'm damn sure it isn't Murdoch's paywall (the stupid old twat).

I haven't bought a paper for years. We used to get the Observer / Sunday Times but since parenthood that went out the window (lazing around drinking wine on a Sunday?! Did we really?!) and now I just get all my news etc online. Usually as it goes on the websites due to Twitter. Not sure what I'd be willing to pay or for what type of service particularly as I've become so used to it all being free. As I say, it's all very interesting.

FYI...
http://www.pfj.co.uk/news/digital-editorial/1938-guardian-website-top-for-online-readership

Guardian website most read of news sites (32 million visits a month) - its not in the article above but the Suns online readership is c.2-3 million... no Murdoch papers in the article above either....

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#12 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 26, 2009, 09:08:13 am
That's the thing. I don't know what The Guardian's financial strategy for the future is but I know they have said they will not charge for online content. With that kind of readership they have the power to do it, I just don't know what the plan is. I get about 80 - 90% of my online news info from The Guardian but then that was the paper I used to read most anyway.

dave

#13 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 26, 2009, 09:24:21 am
On another similarish theme - I'm amazed ryanair dont have free to view TV's on the back of their seats which are laden with ads between the programs...

I'm surprised ryanair don't print ryanair adverts on the bogroll and charge you by the sheet to use it, then weigh your shit and charge you be the gram to dispose of it. And god forbid they have a crash because the lifejackets only accept credit cards, and go steady on the oxygen from those masks which drop down cos that shit isn't free.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#14 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 26, 2009, 09:52:30 am
I haven't bought a paper for years.

I regularly buy the broadsheets so I have something the wrap the trout guts in after a fly fishing trip. Can't  do that with a kindle.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#15 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 26, 2009, 10:04:59 am
I haven't bought a paper for years.
Nor me - I wait for you to post all the interesting stories in the 'Da News' thread  :lol:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#16 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 26, 2009, 10:24:23 am
 :lol: It's like the UKB news Twitterfeed.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#17 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 26, 2009, 11:11:35 am
And what do too many twits make?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#18 Re: Google Chrome OS
November 26, 2009, 11:14:12 am
UKC?

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#19 Re: Google Chrome OS
December 14, 2009, 04:20:37 pm
That's the thing. I don't know what The Guardian's financial strategy for the future is but I know they have said they will not charge for online content. With that kind of readership they have the power to do it, I just don't know what the plan is. I get about 80 - 90% of my online news info from The Guardian but then that was the paper I used to read most anyway.
Have you got an iPhone Jasper? £2.39 to read the news :)

BBC News - Guardian newspaper charges for iPhone app

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: Google Chrome OS
December 14, 2009, 05:37:56 pm
thats fine if its any good....

Edit - its very good....
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:46:43 pm by tomtom »

cofe

• forum hero
#21 Re: Google Chrome OS
December 14, 2009, 06:44:16 pm
Agreed. It's great

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#22 Re: Google Chrome OS
December 14, 2009, 09:20:08 pm
Does it read articles to you?

tomtom

• forum hero
#23 Re: Google Chrome OS
December 14, 2009, 11:06:46 pm
Does it read articles to you?

Of course! and you can select which voice you have.

At the moment I have a gentle oxbridge voice set up with the condesencion slider set to medium.
You can also have the daily mail voice (Penelope Keith style) - every tenth word is replaced by 'bloody aslyum seeker'
The daily express voice (50 year old male throaty yet softened by 5 hamlet a day, Jaguar driver, owns his own business)
The daily telegraph voice (see above, add 10 yrs and add 3 double scotches)
The Times voice (see above but in Australian)
Morse code and of course Charlie Brooker style shouted south london with raised inflectives.
The Tim Dowling voice just cant be bothered and decides to go to bed in a humph.

(you'd love an Iphone slackers - I found out its got a unix based file system when you jail break it...)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal