UKBouldering.com

Which ISP? (Torrents 'n stuff) (Read 3841 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Which ISP? (Torrents 'n stuff)
December 07, 2009, 04:59:18 pm
Well, sadly I'm back in the UK and again sadly I've got to un-mothball my life.

Before going away I cancelled our phone/internet/mobiles etc. so I need to set all of these back up.

Previously we used BT for both phone and broadband as it was convenient but I've got a few questions for people?

* - Firstly do bt packet shape where torrents are concerned?
* - Is this a big issue or can I just use encryption as suggested by Torrentfreak?
* - Is it worth going with another company such as newnet, to get unlimited download there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference in cost.
* - Have I missed anything?

(my exchange can only handle 8 mbps I believe and my line test shows about 6.1 max)

Cheers in advance to all of the usual suspects...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Which ISP? (Torrents 'n stuff)
December 07, 2009, 05:06:16 pm
BT do shape your bandwidth although how much this will affect you I've no idea as I've no first hand experience (some info).

Not looked at encrypting things yet as the only time I actually notice bandwidth throttling is if I'm trying to use the internet at the same time and its been dropped really low, in which case I just turn of the torrents until I go to bed at which point I turn it back on.

Can't really recommend any alternatives either I'm afraid, on Virgin who are pretty useless, but work (probably won't be looking at alternatives until I get round to moving which might happen, one day, very far away).

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Which ISP? (Torrents 'n stuff)
December 07, 2009, 05:09:53 pm
Cheers in advance to all of the usual suspects...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3 Re: Which ISP? (Torrents 'n stuff)
December 07, 2009, 05:28:51 pm
Don't know anything about torrents but avoid Talk Talk as they are fucking useless.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#4 Re: Which ISP? (Torrents 'n stuff)
December 07, 2009, 10:44:43 pm
I know that O2 broadband is very good as they don't mess with it (well not as yet) and it is unlimited (fair usage policy tho)
If you get an O2 phone contract you get it half price or if your a very loyal customer you get it for fuck all  ;)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Which ISP? (Torrents 'n stuff)
December 08, 2009, 03:22:05 am

Newnet are great. They do no traffic-shaping of any kind and have proper support (ie not a call centre half the world away).

It's not unlimited though (on my package anyway) - you get 20gb peak allowance and unlimited off peak (2-7am). This means you have to plan any major downloading but i'm happy to do that to avoid the shaping.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#6 Re: Which ISP? (Torrents 'n stuff)
December 09, 2009, 09:09:22 am
BT do shape your bandwidth although how much this will affect you I've no idea as I've no first hand experience (some info).
I have BT business broadband at home which is provided by work. It is absolute total bollocks. BT throttle it like fuck and the contention ratio is feckin bollocks.. it is completely unusable on the weekend.

If I was getting broadband I would never in a million years go with BT..

From speaking with friends/colleagues Virgin seems to be ok. The guy I work with has both BT and Virgin - he says that Virgin is in a different league to BT.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#7 Re: Which ISP? (Torrents 'n stuff)
December 09, 2009, 10:19:21 am
I am very happy with O2 - £7.35/month if you are a customer of theirs. You will need to check your telephone exchange can provide it though.

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Which ISP? (Torrents 'n stuff)
December 09, 2009, 06:54:04 pm
unfortunately I have and I can't so 02 is scrubbed. Newnet is looking like the best option. BT have told me the line will be delayed being activated (for some reason) so I can't look into it until Fri now.

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Which ISP? (Torrents 'n stuff)
December 14, 2009, 11:30:17 am
Proving more difficult than I expected this:

Newnet p*ssed me off a bit on the phone. I rang and asked about an unlimited package as my exchange wasn't enabled for 24mg, I was told it was fine and they'd put me on the 24mg package and I'd just get nearer 8. When I phoned to say ok they said they couldn't offer me any kind of unlimited package and the highest package was 20Gb!

BT - well I've been trying to avoid this for now.

Plusnet - anybody? It looks like they throttle torrent traffic at peak times etc but its cheap (13.99) for 8mg and 80Gb's...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#10 Re: Which ISP? (Torrents 'n stuff)
December 14, 2009, 12:47:48 pm
not cheap in my eyes

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#11 Re: Which ISP? (Torrents 'n stuff)
December 14, 2009, 04:40:26 pm
Interesting news for file sharing

We can’t be throttling back the speed of people's internet connections

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Which ISP? (Torrents 'n stuff)
December 14, 2009, 10:05:52 pm
not cheap in my eyes

well its not half of fuck all but seeing as though o2 is out and I'm not a loyal customer of theirs anyway, in fact I'm not even a customer its pretty similar to what they could offer. Which they can't anyway...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal