UKBouldering.com

help me upgrade my computer (Read 10739 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#25 Re: help me upgrade my computer
September 24, 2008, 04:26:27 pm
give me an example of an OS that wouldn't be improved by an occasional re-install which is used by your average computer user

If we drop your caveat of "average" I've not reinstalled my Gentoo (GNU/Linux) OS in four years on the desktop or laptop.  Its a bit different to most other GNU/Linux distros though as it doesn't have releases, but profiles, and its simply a case of switching to a newer profile when they're updated (profile are basically a list of core system applications and specific USE flags that are employed when compiling a package).  Its running the latest version of every package I have installed (including custom compiled OpenOffice).  The RedHat 7.3 install I did for work back in 2001 is still sitting there running fine too, it hardly ever gets rebooted either (but doesn't get used for much beyond hosting a few web-pages I wrote for work and whatever music I put on it to share with people, handy being able to access it remotely still  8))

Generally with GNU/Linux and other *NIX based systems from the same pedigree (Solaris/BSD/IRIX etc) you can install them and because only the 'root' user is permitted to do the administration things don't get fucked up because only someone who knows what they're doing fiddles with the core software components/settings.  This excrutiatingly simple concept only came to M$ rather late in the day after the horse had bolted and there were tons of worm/viruses/other shit on half the computers around the world thanks in no small part to that piece of crap which is called Outlook and its ugly sibling IE.

However, most of its down to user behaviour (and poorly designed permission levels in M$) that result in things getting cluttered and malware/spyware/viruses unwittingly installed, hence the need to use malware/spyware removers.  Another problem is the WinTel cartel that convinces people that you have to upgrade to the latest and greatest hardware in order to run the latest and greatest software (which until Vista has always just been a re-hash of previous versions, going back ultimately to DOS).

I think there is a general mis-conception by a lot of people that computers should "just work", but thats not the case.....

machines will naturally slow down over time if you don't maintain them. they're not like cars, you've actually got to look after them.

...but I do feel that re-installing from scratch is overkill, especially as your supposedly paying for the damn thing!

Anyway all  :off: and an OS discussion is ultimately pointless as its a personal choice, but I was never happy paying for something that basically didn't work very well, and didn't like the concept of using pirated software.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#26 Re: help me upgrade my computer
September 24, 2008, 05:07:42 pm
The only thing that matters is, will any of that run Lightroom?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#27 Re: help me upgrade my computer
September 24, 2008, 05:12:47 pm
slack-line - so your constantly re-installing then

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#28 Re: help me upgrade my computer
September 24, 2008, 05:20:40 pm

My aged PC will run Lightroom 2 and PS CS3 together, albeit with a bit of creaking. I think the key is RAM, i have 2g.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#29 Re: help me upgrade my computer
September 24, 2008, 09:57:30 pm
slack-line - so your constantly re-installing then

No constantly upgrading, without ever having to re-install.

Gentoo is a source based distro, when something like the GIMP, GCC (the GNU C compiler), Firefox, library/codec or any other application has a new version released then a new "ebuild" is released.  I then update to this new ebuild, compiling the package from source, customised to the options I want (processor, functionality with other applications).  I tend to do this daily and it the mean number of apps to update ranges between 5-10 per day.  These include improvements in the software, and more importantly security and bug fixes.

Its akin to M$ telling you there are updates, except its for absolutely every single application I have installed rather than just the OS, and then having to keep on top of individual apps myself.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#30 Re: help me upgrade my computer
September 24, 2008, 11:18:44 pm
The only thing that matters is, will any of that run Lightroom?

Yes, you can use an emulator (called WINE) to run windows apps natively.  Works for a lot of things, but I've not forked out for a Lightroom License so couldn't comment on how well it runs (although no doubt there are others out there who have).

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#31 Re: help me upgrade my computer
September 24, 2008, 11:27:19 pm
I was going to come back with a fuller answer, but the boys have it covered.

My thoughts:
Don't worry too much about RAID.  Get a decent basic setup.  As has been said a decent motherboard, CPU and processor won't cost too much if you shop about.  And the difference will be significant.  As long as your case has a decent PSU and fans you could probably keep the old stuff.  Bang in a spare drive for back up etc if you fancy.

Cleaning up and de-fragmenting your HDD will help too.

Anyway, have fun!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#32 Re: help me upgrade my computer
September 25, 2008, 06:51:16 am
I recon you spend a lot more time fiddling about with linux than 2 hours every 6 months which is what it takes to re-installing windows xp.

Cofe - If you take the time to do the reboot then you will be genuinely suprised at how fast your computer runs
Also what speed is your ram is it sd ddr ddr2? big sticks of older memory is very expensive where as new, fast memory is dirt cheap. Sometime its worth upgrading your whole system just to make the saving on the ram

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#33 Re: help me upgrade my computer
September 25, 2008, 07:45:56 am
I recon you spend a lot more time fiddling about with linux than 2 hours every 6 months which is what it takes to re-installing windows xp.

You'd be right there, but then as I pointed out I'm probably not your average computer user, and Gentoo isn't really for the masses, its quite a niche GNU/Linux distro in itself.  Its for those who enjoy playing around and tweaking their OS, and for me its a hobby (and a distraction from work when I'm bored as I can ssh in and do everything I would as if I were sat in front of the machine).  But as we've discovered here, if Cofe is our average computer user, then they're not inclined to re-install every six months either and would rather not suffer the lag that develops over time under M$ without having to re-install.

The Ubuntu family is aiming for mass market/desktop though and I installed it on the wifes laptop.  It rejuvenated a lagging system into something much more useable, the wireless connection is stable now (used to be very flaky under M$) and applications are updated using pre-compiled binaries at the click of a button (and provision of a password).  Been ten months now and nothings slowed down, no spyware, no viruses, no malware and no re-install.

Anyway, as I said its personal choice as to which OS you use, and my uptake of GNU/Linux was mainly influenced by the fact that....

I was never happy paying for something that basically didn't work very well, and didn't like the concept of using pirated software.

cofe

• forum hero
#34 Re: help me upgrade my computer
September 25, 2008, 09:18:41 am
Cofe - If you take the time to do the reboot then you will be genuinely suprised at how fast your computer runs
Also what speed is your ram is it sd ddr ddr2? big sticks of older memory is very expensive where as new, fast memory is dirt cheap. Sometime its worth upgrading your whole system just to make the saving on the ram

DDR 400mhz i think - does that sound right?

If I reinstall windows will it delete all the files on the machine, i.e. do i have to copy them back from a back up afterwards?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#35 Re: help me upgrade my computer
September 25, 2008, 09:33:56 am
1) Buy and install a big data drive.
2) Move all your data onto the new drive (and your usual backup)
3) [optional]Reinstall Windows and all apps on your System drive. It won't touch your new data drive (unless you tell it to format the wrong drive, which is quite hard to do (but not impossible hence the backup!)

Personally I would add the RAM and data drive, move your data, have a good clear out and see what it's like. Installing Windows and the Apps is ok if time consuming, what I find a pain in the arse is setting up everything how I like it, so all Firefox plugins, customising office menus, password managers etc etc  :yawn:

Give me a shout/beer if you want a hand.

cofe

• forum hero
#36 Re: help me upgrade my computer
September 25, 2008, 09:46:53 am
word. i've got a headache.

losing bookmarks and shit would be annoying.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#37 Re: help me upgrade my computer
September 25, 2008, 10:00:45 am
word. i've got a headache.

losing bookmarks and shit would be annoying.

Not the answer to everything, but if you use Firefox its worth grabbing this plugin.  If you don't use Firefox (and why wouldn't you?) you could install it, import your IE bookmarks to Firefox and then sync them with that plugin.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#38 Re: help me upgrade my computer
September 25, 2008, 03:35:41 pm
Do what Obi-wan suggested I recon.
You can save your bookmarks and transfer them back when you've re-installed.
If you have ddr400 then to upgrade will cost you about £45 ish cos you'll have to buy 2 x 1gig sticks and then get rid of your 2 x 512 sticks. not worth it seeing as you can buy 4 gig of much faster memory for the same money. Wait untill you upgrade the whole computer.
When you re-install your computer will be so much quicker you won't be thinking about the memory upgrade anyway

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#39 Re: help me upgrade my computer
September 25, 2008, 03:37:03 pm
If your using IE then your bookmarks are stored in this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<profile name here>\Favorites

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#40 Re: help me upgrade my computer
September 29, 2008, 12:18:48 am
I'm selling my machine word.
e6400 core 2 duo, abit ab9 mb, 2gig ram, 500 gig HD, graphics card, asus case, dvdrw.

For how much?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal