UKBouldering.com

Best, most classic, and most worthy sitting starts... (Read 10158 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
See title. What are they?? Classic problems that are classic because of, or at least enhanced by a sitting start that is obvious, an essential part of the problem, and a totally natural way to do it.

List please, preferably throughout the grades.

P.S. Apologies if I asked exactly the same question a few years ago, it may have happened ;)

andy popp

• forum hero
Roofs probably give the best sit starts but I'm going to nominate a vertical wall, North West Overhang SS at Pex, because the start position of the standing version is extremeley heightist. The SS levels the playing field. I've even contemplated lowering the ground a few inches to make the standing impossible for anyone under 7'.

Stubbs

Zoo York - turns quite a good 7A+/7B with a bit of a spicy landing into one of the best 8A's in the country.  I'll be camping under it for the next decade until I send  :thumbsup:

Quite a few problems come to mind that are almost pointless without a low start, mainly low roofs like DWR etc.

TomP

• obsessive maniac
    • www.tompeckittclimbing.com
Ben's groove SS and Zoo york are the two best in Yorkshire I can think of. Only metres away from each other!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Most of the problems at Secret Garden

TomP

• obsessive maniac
    • www.tompeckittclimbing.com
I'd also say Banana Republic at Caley crag is an excellent problem and much better than the standing version ;)
Not sure if it has had a repeat though so probably no one would agree with me on that :-\

Ringpiece at Ilkley is prertty classic too.

Lemming

• regular
  • Nope, not that one.
Oooh can I start at the very, very bottom?

Sidepull sit start ext, Portlethen (its a classic up here ok?) - just the most beautiful moves known to man. Flows like hunny mmmmmmmmm

Font 5 or summat.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
 :off: Not a classic, but a nice sit start leading into a good 6c
I am posting purely to annoy Jasper; who could do the hard move at the start, but kept falling off the easy finish
 ;D

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
 :lol: Not even the 6C bit either. The 4C bit. It was a bit damp though.  :shrug:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Tsunami. The top bit is a problem in its own right but is horrible, wheras the whole thing together is awesome - presuming you match and use the sloper of course.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I'd have never guessed you liked Tsunami, Dob ;).

Lagers that did look pretty good. Took me nuff goes to do the 6c though! Fun but not Font at it's finest.

There some very steep 6c-ish problem in the first bit of Isatis I remember, a good sitter / low start with some funky foothook action and a long slappy finish.

Seems over here Yorkshire is the home of the sit start so far. Probably a lot of good ones in Wales though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Oooh can I start at the very, very bottom?

Sidepull sit start ext, Portlethen (its a classic up here ok?) - just the most beautiful moves known to man. Flows like hunny mmmmmmmmm

At 'lethen it's either a sit start or no problem at all (with a few minor exceptions).

Lemming

• regular
  • Nope, not that one.
Yup, but its the best its its grade  ;D

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Little Karma sit start at Isatis 7a+
I really like this problem

The standing start is nowhere near as good

Grande Marche at Cancer Mercedes (which Jasper can do easily while I flail about like the fat punter that I am)

The sitter to Wayne Rooney's Head at Elephant is ace, otherwise its nowt special.

Sit start to La Coquille (sp?) at Isatis is ace

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Yup, but its the best its its grade  ;D

I like Pedie Prow, either the normal or the eliminate to the top. Did South Side Story at Muchalls again the other day. Good if you get it in good conditions.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Grande Marche at Cancer Mercedes (which Jasper can do easily while I flail about like the fat punter that I am)

I watched that thinking. Hmmmm looks alright. Knowing full well I'd have no chance. Is it steeper than it looks?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Tsunami. The top bit is a problem in its own right but is horrible, wheras the whole thing together is awesome - presuming you match and use the sloper of course.

Well done Dobbin. I wondered how long it'd be before Rubicon got a mention....... ;D  Both the sit starts to that finish are brilliant problems which, as you say, turn a not very pleasant one mover into something much, much better.

Lagers that did look pretty good. Took me nuff goes to do the 6c though! Fun but not Font at it's finest.

Fiend - La Barre Fixe is a thoroughly unpleasant problem. It tears your skin to pieces and has some fucking nasty holds on it that could knack your fingers. As Lagers said, I should know as I did the whole bloody thing about four times! (without ticking it). It's also not entirely clear what's "in" thus rendering it even less of a quality piece of climbing. I am in no way biased on this ( ;) ) but it should be pointed out that in a thread about excellent sit starts, this is not one.

I watched that thinking. Hmmmm looks alright. Knowing full well I'd have no chance. Is it steeper than it looks?

It's quite steep but if you're cunning with body positions then it's not too burly at all. It's only the first two or three moves that are tricky so you have to be honest with yourself about where you start (if you have long arms!). There was a thread on here somewhere about it. Good problem.

There it is........  http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,8133.0.html
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:00:08 pm by Jaspersharpe, Reason: link »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass

Fiend - La Barre Fixe is a thoroughly unpleasant problem. It tears your skin to pieces and has some fucking nasty holds on it that could knack your fingers.

Holds which you don't need to use if you are of reasonable stature and strength  :whistle:

By no means a classic, as he says.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Breakfast at Burbage West. Awesome. The Fin at Gibby tor is also a great problem, the sit start makes it awesome, not that I've done it!

Kim

• forum abuser
Crash 'n' Gurn, Burbage South.

dave k

• obsessive maniac
My vote goes for the Fin at Gibb Torr too

Tetris at 4th Cloud is also a worthy sitter- turns a quality 7a into a meaty 7c

Brads Wall too- classic

I guess all classic sitters make a good problem into an awesome problem

Ohh yeh - the best of the lot is Shit at Higgar - pure roof action, into a thin and technical face.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Shit is a good problem, but for me the rock at the start spoils it a bit, as does the pile of sheep shit under it.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
The Terrace and Jason's Roof at Burbage North seem popular - not managed either yet...

That steep 6b sitter opposite Ben's Wall at Curbar is rather nice.

chillax

• forum abuser
If this discussion is broad enough to include Ireland, then the sit starts to The Fin and The Egg in Glendalough turn stand up non-problems into quality testpieces.

cofe

• forum hero
If this discussion is broad enough to include Ireland, then the sit starts to The Fin and The Egg in Glendalough turn stand up non-problems into quality testpieces.

good call.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal