UKBouldering.com

Dope Trails Volume 1 (Read 51390 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#125 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
October 28, 2009, 09:56:32 pm
For a trail centre I rate Dalby. But lets face it, these trail centres are MTb lite at best.

My 7 yr old enjoyed the sherwood pines.. Gives you an idea of the terrain!

I really enjoyed the north face trail I. The lakes, not too long to get bored!

I would be keen to try the newer places in the lakes & gisburn..

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#126 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
October 29, 2009, 12:30:54 am

For ones not to far away from Sheffield I rate Penmachno. The lack of visitor centre makes it a lot less crowded than somewhere like Llandegla and it has some lovely trail on Loop 2 and good descents on Loop 1.

MBR at Cody is fun for packing a lot of varied stuff in to a compact area but not as much character.

Must check Dalby out sometime.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#127 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
October 29, 2009, 09:07:15 am
For a trail centre I rate Dalby. But lets face it, these trail centres are MTb lite at best.

Unless there ahve been any major upgrades or extensions, Dalby must feel a bit old school now, compared to some of the modern centres.

cofe

• forum hero
#128 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
October 29, 2009, 09:23:10 am
still haven't ridden all of Dalby but was up there the other week checking out (not riding) the world cup stuff. looks like a decent little (about 7km) circuit.

i've enjoyed Ae, Afan (White's), Nant yr Arian and Climachx, but they really don't come close to what's available naturally - particularly now i've done a bit in the lakes. although i've heard penmachno is excellent and i'm really keen to ride it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#129 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
October 29, 2009, 09:49:01 am
Was just thinking it's probably 7 years since I last rode Dalby, must be a bit more there now than there was then, ie not a lot.

Pity Golspie is so bloody far away, best I have ridden so far. Be nice to do it again without frozen ground.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#130 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
October 29, 2009, 11:50:35 am

Pity Golspie is so bloody far away, best I have ridden so far. Be nice to do it again without frozen ground.

I'd heard Golspie was the mutts nuts.  A target for next year. Second all the comments about Penmachno - still one of my favourites.  Agree with Cofe about White's at Glyncorryg and the Climachx, both brilliant. 

Guess we could play Fantasy Trails.  How about Spooky Wood, followed by the Dark Side from Whites, the final descent on Climachx and Omega Man from Ae.  That'd be a guaranteed pumper!

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#131 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
April 21, 2010, 09:50:08 am
Resurrection for the Dope Trails thread -  :bounce:  New favourite trail is at Innerleithen, combining 'Make of Brake' with Caddon Bank -  :o - How much fun can you pack into one trail?  Must find out when they're doing an uplift day  ;D

Yossarian

• forum hero
#132 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
April 21, 2010, 10:40:22 am
How about a list of the best natural trails?  Cos I never seem to get round to exploring or researching them thoroughly enough!

Also, down here in the SE there's not an awful lot of decent bridleways.  They tend to be wide, mostly flat muddy lanes.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#133 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
April 21, 2010, 10:43:30 am
What do you mean by natural? Surely any trail is manmade in some form or another.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#134 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
April 21, 2010, 10:50:39 am
Natural - the result of years of use and the passage of feet, hooves and tyres.

Man-made - Involving the importation of foreign materials and the construction of TTF

SA Chris

• forum hero
#135 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
April 21, 2010, 10:53:50 am
Ah OK. Tons of them in the woods round here, esp Fetteresso, Tyrebagger and Kirkhill (the bike park excluded). And every time I go I find more.

The local bike club has tried to document a few http://www.ecurieneep.co.uk/routes.asp

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#136 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
April 21, 2010, 10:58:03 am
Ah OK. Tons of them in the woods round here, esp Fetteresso, Tyrebagger and Kirkhill (the bike park excluded). And every time I go I find more.

The local bike club has tried to document a few http://www.ecurieneep.co.uk/routes.asp

Good link Chris.  Always looking for more info on Scottish Mbiking, of which there is feckin' oodles you lucky bugger.........

Yossarian

• forum hero
#137 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
April 21, 2010, 11:18:24 am
Some of those trails look really nice!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#138 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
April 21, 2010, 11:23:20 am
Some great stuff around here, and great that whoever I go riding with has an ace up their sleeve they are keen to show me.

As there are no major trail centres anywhere nearby (apart from Fochabers Monster Trails, which is a good hour plus) folk are really keen on doing their own thing. Given that its mostly forest or estate land around here, and the hilly terrain, the potential is there, it's just the getting out and finding it.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#139 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
May 04, 2010, 12:01:51 pm
Rode Kirroughtree for the first time yesterday and can confirm Cofe's rating of being a top trail centre, certainly the best I've been to by a long way.  It twists and flows all the way with some naughty little step downs and tightening turns.  Unlike most centres you don't want to just plough over everything just in case there's a surprise on the other side, and sometimes there are.  Even better, you don't really feel like you're climbing even when you are.  Which was a good job since I broke my seatpost about 1/4 of the way round  :o.  Anyone in Sheffield got a 27.2mm spare seatpost in their garage that I can borrow until I get an adjustable one sorted out?

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#140 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
May 04, 2010, 12:16:34 pm
I've a bit of a love/hate relationship with kirroughtree!  Love it when i'm feeling perky, hate it when i feel like I'm spending all my time pedaling  :shrug:

Which one did you do Norton old son?  Red or Black?

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#141 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
May 04, 2010, 12:39:53 pm
Emailed you re seatpost.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#142 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
May 04, 2010, 01:20:42 pm
I've a bit of a love/hate relationship with kirroughtree!  Love it when i'm feeling perky, hate it when i feel like I'm spending all my time pedaling  :shrug:

Which one did you do Norton old son?  Red or Black?

Black, me old fruit.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#143 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
May 04, 2010, 03:02:17 pm
Ah, my next target me old china..... :P

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#144 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
May 07, 2010, 09:52:35 am
Checked out the new Monkey trail at Cannock Chase, (Con gain  :yawn:) Well worth the trip.  Considering they've got fuck all height to play with, Clixby's and the volunteers have done a cracking job.  There are two downhill sections that will bring a smile to the face of even the most gravity orientated members of the UKB massive.  Quite a few short sharp climbs but generally well built, some great whoops, easy rock gardens and some snaky singletrack.  Track still settling in so some of the berms are a bit washed out in places, but I'm sure they'll be keeping an eye on it from  the maintenance angle.  Top marks and worth the trip from Sheff   :great:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#145 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
May 07, 2010, 02:53:46 pm

A mate of mine who lives nearby has just ridden the new Cannock trail and confirms that it's indeed well good.

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#146 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
May 09, 2010, 08:40:10 pm
I can recommend the Mary Townley Loop, 50 Miles of XC, plenty of rocky descents and some cobbled climbs keeps the interest levels up, only a few miles on road and no major conurbations.

PS its part of the pennine bridleway project

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#147 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
August 22, 2010, 07:19:43 pm
Superb couple of days away last week.  Lee Quarry is indeed as good as everyone says, seriously technical at times, some sweet singletrack with insane berms and, when they connect it across the moor to nearby Cragg Quarry, well worth a day out.  Also checked out Gisburn, (in the pissing rain), and had a blast.  More rocky lunacy, quite pedally, but always with an almost immediate payback.  Includes my latest fav section, Hully Gulley.  Insanely fast succesion of berms, wall rides and step-up jumps.  :thumbsup:

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#148 Re: Dope Trails Volume 1
August 25, 2010, 01:32:21 pm
Forgot to mention Albert's campsite in Tosside (f'nah), only a mile from the trails, near a pub and with a gobsmackin' view.  Call Albert on 01729 840 662 

Norton Sharley

• forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal