UKBouldering.com

Property Prices in Sheffield due to crash (Read 16949 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Property Prices in Sheffield due to crash
June 20, 2008, 06:59:01 pm
Once word gets out that I may be moving to the fine steel city...

Anyway, anyone got any first hand information on Hunters Bar and or Bradway?

Info on good nurseries (not plants) etc most welcome.

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
Have a look at the ofstead reports for the nurseries, they will give you some good pointers.

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/reports/

Also look at which primary schools are around and what their reports are like. Some nurseries are feeders into certain primary schools
and also where you choose to live could have an impact on the primary school choice later.

Good luck

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
2 areas of vastly overpriced houses on the *right* side of town.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

I suspect you'll get much more bang for your buck in Bradway but it's a totally different kind of place to Hunters Bar. Maybe consider some other areas too?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
 :agree:

Beauchief / millhouses (esp) will feed you to abbey lane primary;. v highly rated.... careful as the catchment is small. you'll get a better house there for the cash.. millhouses is v well located IMO

I'd sack the hunters bar idea, it;s just not as pleasant a place to live IMO.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I live in Nether Green, towards Fullwood from Hunter's bar. House prices are similar but much nicer area. Dunno how good the primary school is but there is one. Five minutes to Burbage even with Dense driving at rush hour.

Sloper

• forum hero
Thanks for the tips, keep them coming.

PS is there a Hunt in Sheffield?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
I live in Nether Green, towards Fullwood from Hunter's bar. House prices are similar but much nicer area. Dunno how good the primary school is but there is one. Five minutes to Burbage even with Dense driving at rush hour.
:agree:

oh God.... hunt hate thread  :-\

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Wrong forum sloper.

fatkid2000

• junky
If I was you avoid the Fulwood area. I live in Ranmoor not far from Nethergreen and its full of BMW driving posh idiots. Nethergreen school is good from what I've heard. We are looking to move to Millhouses which fatdoc mentioned above - more house for your cash

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
We moved from Hunters Bar to Broomhill about a year ago. Hunters Bar has a montessori nursery on Psalter lane, not sure of others, Hunters Bar primary is meant to be very good.

Now we are in Broomhill we are surrounded by several good nurseries. The one our little guy starts at shortly is about 75m away which is handy.

If either of you work for the NHS their staff one is meant to be good and a couple of streets away.

Are you looking to buy or rent?

RopeBoy

• menacing presence
We live in Bradway, it's pretty good. There's quite a few climbers round here, even Percy B lives just down the road. Totley is also good , pretty decent schools about too and extremely handy for most of the edges. Our toddler will be starting nursery in September.

We felt we were getting better value for our money than S11, lots of students, rented accomodation, busy roads, terrible for parking and the noise compared to the tranquility of the suburbs when we began thinking about starting a family. We lived at Banner Cross ( a bit further up Ecclesall Road) which is good too, a bit better than Hunters Bar and a bit closer to the edges. Nether Edge is good too as is a lot of S8, as mentioned already, Beauchief's pretty all right.

Will you need to commute? Might help us suggest a good location.

John :)

dave

Hunters bar is very studenty so if this will piss you off then stay away. nethergreen is nicer but a fair bit more expensive than hunters bar, ditto greystones.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
Carterknowle (inbetween Millhouses and Netheredge) is allright ... Nice houses at not bad prices .... Holt House for 4/7 year olds (plus a pre school ) has got very high ofsted ratings  .... Handy for the Eastern edges and the Climbing Works ....

Sloper

• forum hero
I work from home Mrs Sloper has a third interview to discuss T&C, the job would be in the city centre, so ideally she'd want to be able to take the train into the centre and then walk.

We're going to be renting for at least a year as prices come crashing down, so Bradway looks like it might be the place.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
Presumably Mrs Sloper prefers to take the train to work as she'll be getting some sort of cheap deal on tickets??? If so Dore might be a good choice - close to Peak and to city centre, has a local station (but also well served by sheffields wank bus service - as in the service is not good, not as in a free handjob with every return ticket...) and obviously posh as you like! Well expensive to buy, but you might get a reasonable rented property.

andy_e

• forum hero
PS is there a Hunt in Sheffield?

No, he's at uni in Leeds, no need to worry.

Sloper

• forum hero
Anyone have any meaningful information about Hillsborough eg around Hunter Road?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Hillsborough is more north / eastern.. as in most northern cities the historically more affluant areas are too the west. This not to say it isnt a good place to live, it's got good access to the centre, good access to the motorway.

I spent some time living there a bit with my girlfriend (now wife). At that time I had no need for opinion on schooling etc... What I would say, and this is a personal opinion... is that the area seems a bit soul less compared to the studenty libe areas or the nice semis and parks of millhouses etc... I think you'll see what I mean if you spent a day just walkng around these areas. Sheffield is a real odd city, it feels a bit like a series of villages that happen to be all connected....

dave

if you want somewhere affordable but not as uncosmopolitan as hillsborough then look at walkley, its kinda like crookes but a bit less studenty.

fatkid2000

• junky
if you want somewhere affordable but not as uncosmopolitan as hillsborough then look at walkley, its kinda like crookes but a bit less studenty.

And a know a nice 2 bed semi for sale there - with a nice new kitchen.

RopeBoy

• menacing presence
I think a man of your discerning qualities will not enjoy living in Hillsborough, you really want to live on the southern side of the city and stick to the more affluent postcodes; S10, 11, 17. It's also not as close to the Easern gritstone edges.

J

205Chris

• forum hero
Sorry to jump on the whole "Moving to Sheffield" bandwagon but I'm after some advice as I'm starting a job in Halfway in a couple of weeks.

I'm looking to rent around the Woodseats / Heeley area. Anywhere in particular I should look out for / avoid? (I should point out that I'm not married and don't have kids, therefore student type areas wouldn't necessarily put me off).

Any info much appreciated.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
higher up to woodseats gets you closer to the peak, with slightly less time spent in a traffic jam.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I'm looking to rent around the Woodseats / Heeley area. Anywhere in particular I should look out for / avoid? (I should point out that I'm not married and don't have kids, therefore student type areas wouldn't necessarily put me off).
I'd aim for getting a place close to Meersbrook Park or the area up behind it  - most of Woodseats is fine, apart from the roads where Fatdoc and Fatboyslimfast live obviously ;)  Heeley itself is quite rundown and the high end leads shitty Gleadless/Arbourthorne which are not very nice at all.

higher up to woodseats gets you closer to the peak, with slightly less time spent in a traffic jam.
This is worth considering - the main drag in Woodseats is an almost permanent traffic jam coz the road planners well and truly fucked up so don't think you'll be getting in and out of the area quickly unless you like using a lot of rat-runs. Very handy for some great local food shops and the Archer Lane supermarkets though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal