UKBouldering.com

Which ADSL router (Read 1729 times)

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
Which ADSL router
June 20, 2008, 10:36:46 am
I am having a real game trying to configure a laptop with Vista on it with my wireless network. It will work without any problems but then will just drop the wireless connection leaving only a connection to the local network.

The systems with XP installed on them work flawlessly. It is not an option to revert the laptop back to XP unfortunately.

So my main requirement is the new router has been proven to work, in a wireless capacity, with Windows Vista.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Which ADSL router
June 20, 2008, 11:39:40 am
I am having a real game trying to configure a laptop with Vista on it with my wireless network. It will work without any problems but then will just drop the wireless connection leaving only a connection to the local network.

The systems with XP installed on them work flawlessly. It is not an option to revert the laptop back to XP unfortunately.

So my main requirement is the new router has been proven to work, in a wireless capacity, with Windows Vista.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I've no experience with Vista, but highly rate Linksys products.  In particular the older versions, as they a) have better hardware specs; b) you can upgrade the firmware and turn a £45 router into something that would normally cost you >£200 for the functionality.

That said, I think your taking the wrong angle on this.

Given that your current router works fine with other XP, it suggests to me that the problem lies with Vista itself, and perhaps the wireless drivers that are being used.  Seems pointless forking out for a new router, as its highly likely you'll have the same problem.  My wife's XP laptop would regularly drop out from the wireless connection, but works fine now that I've installed Xubuntu (a GNU/Linux distro) on it.

Perhaps worth checking to see if there is a newer driver for the wireless network card under Vista before forking out for a new router.

slack

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal