UKBouldering.com

romantic font hotels - help needed (Read 4380 times)

adam p

• regular
romantic font hotels - help needed
June 14, 2008, 08:28:56 pm
Hi all,

My sporty but non-climbing girlfriend is working just north of Paris this month and I'm visiting this coming weekend en route to the south-west.

Rather than have a romantic few days in Paris (which I did suggest), she's up for trying bouldering since we're close to Font.

If I'm going take full advantage of this opportunity to make some important long-term gains, I reckon I better pay attention to the details - hence searching for a suitably romantic and pampering place to stay on the Saturday night.

I'm thinking old and pretty rather than swanky. All suggestions appreciated...

After Font I'm heading to Carcassonne for eight days before returning via a day in the forest around the 3/4th of July. If anyone's got suggestions for the south too (thought Targasonne maybe) or just wants to hook up on my way back through Font please drop me a line.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Adam

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1 Re: romantic font hotels - help needed
June 14, 2008, 08:45:15 pm
soz..
just used the town centre ones out of season and the motel formula 1..

BUT if you phone the local tourist office (number somewhere on here in a thread on font accomadation i'm sure) you'll get sorted.

have a good one
 ;)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#2 Re: romantic font hotels - help needed
June 14, 2008, 10:35:27 pm
I'd be looking at the various places in Barbizon, though they'll hurt your wallet...

IIRC the Cle De L'Or is the swankiest / priciest, but the Bas Breau is more reasonable. Good luck!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#3 Re: romantic font hotels - help needed
June 14, 2008, 11:38:25 pm
there's no other place than maisonbleau.
the small gite for two is very cozy, and all the girls i brought in by night while i was there were impressed by the place.
and, neil and uncle, yes, that's why i sucked at climbing.
 ;)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#4 Re: romantic font hotels - help needed
June 15, 2008, 07:48:07 am
I've stayed in la Cle d'Or at Barbizon and was well impressed (9 or 10 years ago). They have rooms in the hotel itself and also chalet style rooms in the gardens. The restaurant was very impressive (great service and food), in fact I've splashed out on eating there a couple of times while not staying at the hotel - (again, some years ago).
It's on the main street in Barbizon on the right as you head out towards the forest, secure parking behind the hotel tel +33 1 60 66 40 96
Definitely romantic

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#5 Re: romantic font hotels - help needed
June 15, 2008, 06:19:28 pm
L'Angle Noir is probably the most 'impressive' but for romance, it really rather depends on your girlfriend is it small and bijou (stop sn**gering at the back) that she goes for or big and brash (I said stop it)?

I seem to recall a rather decent place about 10k south of Carrefour but can't remember the details.

Try googling

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#6 Re: romantic font hotels - help needed
June 16, 2008, 08:59:04 am
get a small gite! 2 -4 person,

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#7 Re: romantic font hotels - help needed
June 16, 2008, 07:14:47 pm
go to stefs B&B his place is wicked, real nice rooms and a good breakfast in a super house. my place is booked solid

Stef

• player
#8 Re: romantic font hotels - help needed
June 17, 2008, 11:33:31 am
Hi guys, thx Neal for recommending my place, but on week-ends, it is very hard to find a B&B, especially for 1 night only.
I am booked up, and so are most of the other places I know.
Trying the tourism office www.fontainebleau-tourisme.com accomodation report is a good idea, as advised by a former post.
Cheers, Stef.

adam p

• regular
#9 Re: romantic font hotels - help needed
June 17, 2008, 12:42:33 pm

thanks everyone for all your suggestions...

while all fitted the bill, i've left it too late it seems for this weekend; so it'll be a lazy saturday with the g/f, exploring rheims and epernay, then a day out to the forest on sunday...

but fingers crossed she'll fall for this bouldering malarkey as i've got a long list of places for next time....

cheers, adam

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

but fingers crossed she'll fall for this bouldering malarkey as i've got a long list of places for next time....

You'll be setting a dangerously high standard for bouldering to live up to there mate. Make sure she realises that it gets no better or everywhere else will be a bit of an anticlimax for her. Unless, of course, you're planning a trip to Rubicon in the near future.

adam p

• regular

wise words....rod for my own back territory....mind you, she's from up north so professionally unimpressed....

more worryingly, the quid pro quo is that i'm supposed to do a half marathon with her.. :o

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
You'll be needing this then.......

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,8443.0.html

......can't do the fitness any harm but rather you than me.  ;D

adam p

• regular

cheers mate, though think i'll be needing more than that...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal