UKBouldering.com

Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread (Read 110512 times)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#375 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 01:17:05 pm
Commencal - a mate has a 4.1 and 5.xx.  The 4 is way light and he reckons the 5 is the dogs b****x.  And he didn't pay for either so can't be biased by the 'I paid for it so it must be the best bike on the planet' approach.  I've ridden the 4.1 and it was very nice, rode quite like my Orange though so I would be liking it cos' that's the best bike on the planet............  :-\

nik at work

• forum hero
#376 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 01:20:18 pm
Had a play on a bike a couple of weeks back and enjoyed it.
I was riding a Cove Stiffee which was probably a bit big for 'lil ol' me but felt like loads of fun. Also had a go on a specialized full-suss which was alright (but again a bit big) but felt a bit detached and uninvolved in the downhill stuff (whereas the hardtail had me grinning and terrified in equal measure).
So contemplating investing and given that I really enjoyed the stiffee I was going to look for a smaller framed version. Does that sound reasonable? Having read around the feeling seems to be that it is a great frame but perhaps a bit intense for a beginner (which I definitely am). Any thoughts/suggestions? Not really wanting a full-sus because they cost more, have more bits to go wrong and it left me a bit cold (just point it downhill and go*).
Also thinking of going second-hand, am I just going to get a hammered pup this way?

* Obviously this is a ridiculous generalisation but realistically I'm not going to be going on mega epic rides either in length or bounciness so full-sus would be wasted I imagine.

cofe

• forum hero
#377 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 01:21:47 pm
Fatdoc put me off commencal - can't really remember why, think it was something to do with being French.

i didn't realise fatdoc was french.  ;D

Commencal - a mate has a 4.1 and 5.xx.  The 4 is way light and he reckons the 5 is the dogs b****x.  And he didn't pay for either so can't be biased by the 'I paid for it so it must be the best bike on the planet' approach.  I've ridden the 4.1 and it was very nice, rode quite like my Orange though so I would be liking it cos' that's the best bike on the planet............ 

sounds like a guy i should meet. the 5.xx do remind me of the orange. just looking around should the ibis go back sooner rather than later.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#378 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 01:22:46 pm
Fultonius has a Meta 555 that he is singing praises to. They look like nice bikes.

Just went to Alpine Bikes. The Iron Horse looks like the money, geometry feels really good. Don't think I will be able to get the Titus on interest free credit (it's a small shop).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 01:49:50 pm by SA Chris, Reason: people with too many different log ins »

fatkid2000

• junky
#379 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 01:26:19 pm
Cofe why don't you 'forget' to return the ibis - we could all then see how long an expensive carbon frame can survive in the peaks. I'm sure if you can't break it, a ride in the hands of fatdoc would lead to some catastophic failure - like his recent fork episode.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#380 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 03:08:12 pm
 :oops:

my bike is now near in full order, there again i've not ridden it for few days

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#381 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 28, 2008, 12:06:40 pm

sounds like a guy i should meet. the 5.xx do remind me of the orange. just looking around should the ibis go back sooner rather than later.

No worries, he lives in Chamonix though  :)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#382 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 28, 2008, 12:07:47 pm
Had a play on a bike a couple of weeks back and enjoyed it.
I was riding a Cove Stiffee which was probably a bit big for 'lil ol' me but felt like loads of fun. Also had a go on a specialized full-suss which was alright (but again a bit big) but felt a bit detached and uninvolved in the downhill stuff (whereas the hardtail had me grinning and terrified in equal measure).
So contemplating investing and given that I really enjoyed the stiffee I was going to look for a smaller framed version. Does that sound reasonable? Having read around the feeling seems to be that it is a great frame but perhaps a bit intense for a beginner (which I definitely am). Any thoughts/suggestions? Not really wanting a full-sus because they cost more, have more bits to go wrong and it left me a bit cold (just point it downhill and go*).
Also thinking of going second-hand, am I just going to get a hammered pup this way?

* Obviously this is a ridiculous generalisation but realistically I'm not going to be going on mega epic rides either in length or bounciness so full-sus would be wasted I imagine.

All sounds like good sense to me.  What's your budget?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#383 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 28, 2008, 12:15:48 pm

Don 't think you'll go far wrong with a Stiffee - one of the all-time classic hardtails.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#384 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 28, 2008, 12:17:21 pm
pace 305???

more forgiving, better UK type bike, not as full on as stiffee... awesome on singletrack

nik at work

• forum hero
#385 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 28, 2008, 12:27:46 pm
Is the Santa Cruz Chameleon worth considering?
I'm sure it has been mentioned previously here, and I've heard it mentioned elsewhere as a comparable frame?
Pace 305 I'll look into cheers Fatdoc, although it was kind of the full-on-ness of the stiffee that really appealed, when I first got off I wasn't sure whether I'd had fun or a near death experience :)

Budget is basically as small as possible. I was thinking as long as the frame is decent and the components aren't complete dogshit then I can modify as the budget/obsession grows. Was thinking of looking for sub-£500 and probably ending up going up to maybe £700-ish. Which seems quite acheivable from my brief research (previously loved obviously). I've got a month or so to look and think before I get the funds through so keep the bike pr0n suggestions coming (obviously at the razzle end of the pr0n scale).

fatkid2000

• junky
#386 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 28, 2008, 12:31:51 pm
:oops:

my bike is now near in full order, there again i've not ridden it for few days

So that'll last all of ten minutes - must be due for that marin frame to fail soon!!!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#387 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 28, 2008, 12:40:35 pm
Is the Santa Cruz Chameleon worth considering?
It's brilliant. Wherever I go with my Chameleon, people from little kids to DHers on full sussers say "ah, a Chameleon, I love them....". Bombproof and feels fantastic to ride.

although it was kind of the full-on-ness of the stiffee that really appealed,
I've never heard a bad word about a Stiffee - every time i've come across somebody riding one they totally love it.

nik at work

• forum hero
#388 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 28, 2008, 12:46:31 pm
I think it looks as though the stiffee is the way forward, but I'll keep my eyes open to Chameleon/305's also (and any other suggestions).
Cheers guys I'll keep you posted on how I get on (and maybe head down to the Peak for a drubbing at your hands when I finally get a bike...)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#389 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 28, 2008, 04:46:00 pm
If your budged it about £700, I would stick to hardtails. Also it is coming to start of new season bikes coming out so you can get some great deals on new 2008 bikes - I saved £600 buying a 2008 model.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#390 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 29, 2008, 01:57:21 pm
As per above, the Iron Horse is now mine. It awaits a thrashing on the weekend.

nik at work

• forum hero
#391 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 01, 2008, 08:19:38 am
Thoughts and opinions please.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200249763848&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

I'm not really ready to get anything yet but if this is a decent set up and the price is reasonable I might have to go for it.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#392 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 01, 2008, 11:04:44 am
cant see ebay at work....

i'll have look later.... working late though

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#393 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 01, 2008, 11:06:47 am

Show us a piccy then Chris

nik at work

• forum hero
#394 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 01, 2008, 11:08:28 am
Cheers Fatdoc, much appreciated.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#395 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 01, 2008, 11:11:08 am
cant see ebay at work....

i'll have look later.... working late though

Use a proxy server, go to http://www.freeproxyserver.net/ then copy & paste the URL into the box there and you should be able to view it (will most probably work for other sites that are blocked too).

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#396 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 01, 2008, 11:14:31 am
nope

:shrug:

nhs barracuda got very upset there i can tell you!!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#397 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 01, 2008, 11:19:26 am

Show us a piccy then Chris

Only a bit dirtier now! Did half the ride we intended yesterday, but didn't stop for pics as a) it was overcast, in trees and showering occasionally and b) any time stopped we got midged to hell, they were just brutal. Loved the bike though, did a long section of wet really rocky and rooty single track, and it pissed it, although I think I need to have a play with the shocks etc to get it set up right for me.

Out again tomorrow night, will try and get some pics then.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#398 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 01, 2008, 11:47:05 am
nope

:shrug:

nhs barracuda got very upset there i can tell you!!

Bummer, I can use proxy servers no probs from the NHS site I'm now working at.  (Proxies just anonymise the traffic so they can't actually tell what your looking at, there are tons of different ones available, and some may not be blocked, if you can really be arsed to track them down, probably easier to wait till you get home though).

cofe

• forum hero
#399 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
September 01, 2008, 11:57:40 am
white is a fine colour for a bike.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal