UKBouldering.com

Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread (Read 110531 times)

milksnake

• menacing presence
#350 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 13, 2008, 02:29:35 am
if it's pissing with rain you're bike will suffer, you will get water in your bearings. fuel consumption will also increase. I think a boot bag is probally the best option. at least you'll keep your bike out the worst of it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#351 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 13, 2008, 08:28:33 am
Also the problem with the ones hanging off your car is the bike get a lot of spray off the road. We drove back from Coed-y-Brenin to Bristol in winter with the bikes on the back, and they were covered in salt from the road - not good for them either?

webbo

• forum hero
#352 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 13, 2008, 08:51:35 am
old sheets work as well as a boot bag.however the problem is how do you not only get your bike in but your two pads plus wifes and daughters complete wardrobes.even with an estate car this is taking some working out.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#353 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 13, 2008, 09:15:28 am
old sheets work as well as a boot bag.however the problem is how do you not only get your bike in but your two pads plus wifes and daughters complete wardrobes.even with an estate car this is taking some working out.

What about a roofbox for carrying stuff?

Obviously might be a bit tricky squeezing a bike in there, but the wife and daughters would probably fit in ok  :P

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#354 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 13, 2008, 01:07:14 pm
wind noise? - with or without bikes on....

drag and fuel consumption?

how do the bikes fare?

never appealed to me but if the above are OK it's a potential solution...

There's a bit of wind noise but then again I keep roof bars on anyway and play my music loud.  I've not noticed a big difference in fuel consumption but I'm sure there is one.  I don't drive with work or have a commute so I tend not to notice changes in fuel consumption that much.  The bikes fare better than they do when I'm riding them in the pissing rain and muck.

It literally takes 30 seconds to put the bike up or take off and I've certainly ridden more frequently than I used to since I've had one. 

webbo

• forum hero
#355 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 13, 2008, 01:57:21 pm

What about a roofbox for carrying stuff?

Obviously might be a bit tricky squeezing a bike in there, but the wife and daughters would probably fit in ok  :P
might get away with that.the missus wasn't keen on the roof rack too unsightly.do laura ashley do roof boxes.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#356 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 14, 2008, 09:57:32 am
I have one of these http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Raleigh-Avenir-Deluxe-Padded-bike-bag-with-2-wheels-black-nylon-14059.htm that I paid about £30 for off eBay and one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15325.  Latter is more sturdy with loads of pockets, former is easier to just lob the bike in to stop the boot of your car getting mucky and at £30 is a bargain - hunt around.

Normally stack two bikes in the boot in these plus bouldering pad plus trad gear, sports rope, tent, kitchen sink and you're sorted for a British week(end) away  8)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#357 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 16, 2008, 04:43:55 pm
*rant*

i hate my lbs... they have NO mtb inner tubes over 1.5 max with a presta fitting, they lie ("on order", "no one uses presta valves really" [see your own bike range then mate]), they are condescending to the extreme, they see me pay for something then ask to see my receipt on leaving, they suck cock.

when the competitor is *click here to checkout* some humane service would go miles......

AND

i've bust my rear rim..... god, it's only 5 months old!! my 6 yr old front mavic crossmax is still mint.... syncros FR rim my arse... 6 DINGS.... for god's sake!!

metal so soft i've used near no effort to bodge it back with an adjustable spanner....

18bikes have my order, 5.1D rims, double butted spokes onto a Hope pro2 maxle... 8)

fuckin cheese components... I'm not happy. no wonder I'm a wiggle platinum customer :o

AND i was toss at the Works this morning.....

sod it I'm off for a pint and then I'll do some pork in cider and cream  :alky:

*rant ends*

fatkid2000

• junky
#358 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 16, 2008, 05:02:35 pm
Fatdoc's rant sounds like a trip to JE James, the shop I avoid at all costs.

Wiggle usually have some deal going on  inner tubes, I got 10 a few weeks back - and they have all the required sizes with presta valves. As mentioned in earlier threads avoid James's even if its your LBS. Just sit at home, turn on computer & there you have it brought to your door or place of work a few days later. The only arse is if you need something in a hurry or you're out when the delivery boy turns up.

Those wheels are good fatdoc....as you  know I already have a set, good choice.

milksnake

• menacing presence
#359 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 16, 2008, 06:27:01 pm
5 months for a rear rim? thats not bad going really. I'd be pretty chuffed with that. I always thought mtb rims were supposed to be disposable. but then again i was riding dh on a hardtail

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#360 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 16, 2008, 08:18:26 pm
you are joking...

my various DH bikes have never had a rim beyond repair in their lifetimes... admittedly my demo8 has sen little action for 18 months, but I'd expect a season at least!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#361 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 18, 2008, 12:52:10 pm

5 months for a rim used for DH on a hardtail seems pretty reasonable.

milksnake

• menacing presence
#362 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 18, 2008, 01:59:47 pm
yeah, I did some dirt jumping too.... I always used mavic D521s, not the strongest of rims but bloody good for the money, tried halos but found them heavy and not that much stronger, tended to split at the seam.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#363 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 09:02:50 am
Anyone got any opinions on Titus Motolite ML-1 (2007) or Iron Horse Comp Mk III 2008, or any opinions on either manufacturer in general?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#364 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 11:39:40 am
i think cofe's steed is a titus....

cofe

• forum hero
#365 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 11:51:37 am
mine's an Ibis. Not heard of titus. Rode a couple of Iron Horse bikes at cycle show last year. very nice, but never ridden one in anger on proper trails.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#366 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 11:54:50 am
i think cofe's steed is a titus....

Nope, its an Ibis Mojo. Its a carbon frame anyway, daft idea on a mountain bike in my humble opinion.

Titus Motolite is a pretty highly regarded bike I think, but then people who pay lots of money for a bike will rarely admit that they bought the wrong thing and its crap.

The alternative viewpoint, and probably just as accurate, is that above a certain point pretty much all the bikes available from any manufacturer are going to be pretty damn good.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#367 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 12:00:10 pm
The alternative viewpoint, and probably just as accurate, is that above a certain point pretty much all the bikes available from any manufacturer are going to be pretty damn good.

This is very true, though some bikes will suit a certain body-shape or riding style better than others so it's still worth testing/reading reviews/etc.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#368 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 12:03:14 pm
Local(ish) shop has Titus on good sale price on sale, hence the question. Googling seems to show positive reports,  but they are  new to me. Have asked around ocally and the the one guy who has one (at slightly higher spec) and spend a lot of cash on it swears by it. Funny that.

Might go for a look on the weekend.

fatkid2000

• junky
#369 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 12:05:50 pm
Anyone got an opnions on chain lubes for use in the Peaks. Is there really any difference between them, wet/dry etc. I've used the same road one through summer & winter with no problems.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#370 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 12:10:38 pm
I've always used this summer and winter - cheap and does the job with no mess:

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#371 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 12:56:19 pm
Not disagreeing with you Bubbs, but after using that for years I now use Pedros chainj http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19624 which is (allegedly) biodegradeable and is a bit thinner and works better in general.  Former probably better for long wet winter rides though.

I have one of each sat at home at the moment.  8)

cofe

• forum hero
#372 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 01:05:22 pm
what are props views on the commencal bikes? particularly the meta 5s? the 2009 5.5.2 is one sexy bitch.

Dangereux

#373 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 01:12:02 pm
My mate has this years one and thinks it's pretty good. Does well getting around the peak, some 'other' stuff up blackamoor and trail centre action. If that floats your boat.

fatkid2000

• junky
#374 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
August 27, 2008, 01:15:54 pm
Fatdoc put me off commencal - can't really remember why, think it was something to do with being French. I agree they do look nice machines. I rode one of their road machines in Spain last summer and thought it was shit, but their MTBs are probably a different thing entirely - Didn't that Atherton chap win on one in the World Champs in Fort William?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal