UKBouldering.com

Another Font last minute panic thread (help for single traveller) (Read 5938 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Here's the deal: A group of friends and acquaintances are going to Font from Sat 22nd to Sat 29th. I haven't been able to go with them as their group is too complex for me to fit in (lots of babies, mostly). However I would like to go out for part of that time, probably travelling on my own, and have the opportunity to hook up out there. Because it's Font, and it's great, and I'd like to climb with this lot.

I'm considering going out either 24th -  29th, or maybe if a friend feels like coming, 20th - 26th maybe. The former, i.e. after Easter weekend, looks most likely.

Now....two issues:

Transport. I don't really mind how I get there but I would like to take 2 mats for going on my own, which might rule out flying, and I'd need a car at the other end. Eurostar or car + ferry would be fine. However it's all looking rather expensive and my car does gallons to the mile which is not ideal. Expense is going to be an issue on my own. Any suggestions??

Accomodation. Similar problem - expense. I was considering the ever charming Formule1 if I was going over the Easter weekend, on the assumption that everywhere else would be booked up. Which is going to be pretty pricey on my own again (and perhaps culturally lacking in the long dark evenings). In the week after Easter, is anywhere likely to have spaces?? Neil / Stef?? Neil's place sounds like it could be good for the situation. Any other ideas??

Basically the last two times I've been to Font, I've been along with someone else's plans that have been organised well in advance and shared costs. This time I am well psyched for Le Foret indeed, but it's getting perilously close to the time and I'm in a bit of a tizzwazz on what's best to organise.... Advice would be gratefully appreciated!

i.munro

• junky
When I go I tend to do Eurostar + train then stay in town.
Great advantage is that there's lots of restaurants & caffs within walking distance.
Great disadvantage is cost of accomodation so in order to cut the cost I often skip a car.
There are plenty of smaller areas in walking distance although 2 pads might get tedious. Only time I regret this is when the weather is as diabolical as the weekend just gone because the really fast drying areas tend to be in the trois pignons & that's really too far to walk.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Two mats has never been a problem for me on buses, train, boats or planes, not EVER.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
sounds like you are a bit stuffed, there are hundreds of people coming out here, no one has any rooms left, my place was booked 6 months ago, and is booked every easter for the next 3 years all ready.

Get your self over to cocktalk a stick a post there I;m sure you will get a lift in minutes, once here im sure you will easy find someone to climb with.

Good luck and who knows maybe we see you in the forest along with the rest of the UK climbing scene

happy easter all

galpinos

• forum hero

I've only been once to the forest on my tod. I took the Eurolines option which is great if you're time rich/money poor. Eurolines to Paris then hire a car there.

Accomadation: Are you averse to camping? Not ideal but cheaper than Formula 1? Actually, I'm not sure it is, I dossed at the old free Cuvier spot last time as camping seemed pretty steep.

Stef

• player
Easter time here in Font should be the worth time of the year. It is just so busy that any other time can only be good.
I don't go out in the forest around that period. I've seen some groups queuing in front of some famous boulders in elephant, cuvier or other big places. for sure you can always find a "quiet" area, but it seems like poeple atracts poeple, no ?
However, every single accomodation is booked for weeks and months for the most famous (hi neal !)so you have to burn a candle and hope there will be a late cancellation, but for my own part, I already have a "waiting list" for that kinda situation. you could maybe try the reservation offices of the Gites de France in Loiret (#45) as it is the department just next door and may not be as famous. However, good luck, happy easter and hope to see you around one day.
Cheers, Stef.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I don't really mind how I get there but I would like to take 2 mats for going on my own, which might rule out flying, and I'd need a car at the other end.
If you tie the two mats together somehow you could say they were one peice of luggage / sports equipment could you not?  Then you could fly with them.

I am no help for the other stuff, although if you have space in your suitcase I make good picnics.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
sounds like you are a bit stuffed,

Aaaah, positive reassurance, that's what I was after!!

If the worst comes to the worst I'll just have to fork out a bit more than desired...

Are you (and Stef) booked up in the week i.e. 24th-29th too?

Ian - I think I will be needing reasonable accomodation and transport options, given the uncertainty of weather, and being on my own.

Houdinizzle - thanks, that's useful to know (and magpie, I was thinking of strapping them together, aye), I will look into flights more.

galpinos - I probably would be averse to camping at this time of year. A cold dark solitary tent each night is not ideal, and I haven't heard good things about Font camping. What is Eurolines? Some aspect of Eurostar? Or a coach?

Stef - yeah I know Easter can be rammed - although last year was pretty nice, apart from Elephant which was full of hordes of knobby braying students. Just that's when mates are going out... Also, it's likely I will come for the week after, and I'm happy to explore quieter areas, I think one of my friends is on a similar mission.

I am no help for the other stuff, although if you have space in your suitcase I make good picnics.

How small do you pack up, and do you need airholes?

galpinos

• forum hero

Eurolines is the cheap coach running to Paris form London (and other UK cities).

http://www.eurolines.com/index.php?id=113&L=0

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
How small do you pack up, and do you need airholes?
Small, really small, I got into a medium sized hold-all once (don't ask) I reckon one little airhole and a straw would suffice  :-\

a dense loner

• forum hero
you should go the week after, in a lexus. font at easter, heathens

Oli

• obsessive maniac
Is it just the weekend of Easter that will be rammed or the weeks before and after as well? I'm consider going out sometime in the next three weeks, and would rather avoid a rammed font.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Great time to run accomodation in Font; truly the worst climbing experience.  Red hot rock, gimps/pimps/ladies of the night/tourists/louts/picknickers/riders/bikers/ everywhere.

:thumbsdown:

Here's to a deserted Font next Dec to Feb, cheers!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Mind, If I just HAD to go to Font at this horrific time and I was shafted, I'd probably doss in a certain bothy/bizarre rock jumble with bricked-up spaces-type affair I know at a less than popular part of one of the largest areas . . .   Breakin' the law, breakin' the law!

:whistle:

i.munro

• junky

Ian - I think I will be needing reasonable accomodation and transport options, given the uncertainty of weather, and being on my own.

Sure, THE way to go is Eurostar, decent hotel in town near the food and rent a car.
However you seemed concerned about the wedge & given the choice I'd take a nice hotel over a completely uneccessary car any day.

The only weather conditions you want a car for is intermittent rain. If it rains solidly you're in a town & have easy access to Paris if you're bored. If it's good weather you're in the best place IMO especially at Easter.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Great time to run accomodation in Font; truly the worst climbing experience.  Red hot rock, gimps/pimps/ladies of the night/tourists/louts/picknickers/riders/bikers/ everywhere.

:thumbsdown:

Here's to a deserted Font next Dec to Feb, cheers!

Yeah....well it's when some friends are going. And as I've said, I can and probably will go in the week after the Easter weekend.

Last year out of 5 days directly over the Easter weekend:
Day1 - Elephant - packed with nobbers
Day2 - Buthiers - quiet as a mouse
Day3 - Some weird place I can't remember - busy but not badly busy
Day4 - Cuisiniere - very normal
Day5 - Cuvier Est / Rempart - not a soul

Dense - you offering? ;)

Ian - how about a shite hotel i.e. Formule1, and a car? ;)

i.munro

• junky

Ian - how about a shite hotel i.e. Formule1, and a car? ;)

Up to you my friend, but I know which I'd pick given that it gets dark early, the F1 is miles from anywhere & the chances of you not being picked as  driver are pretty slim.

Possible compromise is the ETAP nr the station in Avon, 40 Euros a night advertised last weekend, semi-crap & a doable but kind of boring (after you've done it a few times) walk back from town.

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
http://www.boulderbus.co.uk/

They go from Sheffield and it says they have Easter dates available.  Don't know how it compares price wise (it's £279 for travel and accommodation for 22nd-29th) but it's an option.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Alas, the lexus is no more. It's font in a an Audi these days

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
http://www.boulderbus.co.uk/

They go from Sheffield and it says they have Easter dates available.  Don't know how it compares price wise (it's £279 for travel and accommodation for 22nd-29th) but it's an option.

Thank you, that's another useful option, possibly *too* sociable for me!

Jim, it's Font in a V70 XC these days. Makes either of your two beasts seem like a flagship of fuel efficiency :S

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Theres a bloke on UKC trying to flog a boulderbus ticket. Looks like list price though. Wait until day before and offer him half price for it?

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
Just take a book and refuse to talk to anyone.

It's good value compared to a week in the etap. Although not as good value as planning in advance - my trip's costing us just over £100 each for fuel (from Berksire), ferry, tolls and etap.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
Is it just the weekend of Easter that will be rammed or the weeks before and after as well? I'm consider going out sometime in the next three weeks, and would rather avoid a rammed font.

I've been out for the last 5 years at Easter and yea the honey pots get rammed but Font's massive, if you stray off the beaten track there's nuff scope for solitude.

I quite like the social vibe around then, nuff people I know go at easter so there's always a good group to climb and get pissed with :beer2: Always end up bumping into mates I din't know were going and aint see for time  :pissed:

Psyched;-)

:D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal