UKBouldering.com

Secret Garden - some shit that was posted before but I coulnd't find the thread (Read 8826 times)

dave

Some time ago (summer 2006?) someone posted a thread about some new thing they'd done out the back of secret garden. since I was there today and it was boiling we decided top check this out again. clearly people have been on this recently as there was chalk on the original problem, plus newer looking brushmarks on the right. anyway, I'm just posting all this up to get a reminder of who actually did what here and if any of these had names etc, cos as the title sugests I can't find that original thread.

The main purpose of this is to remind people these exist, cos they are nice, good landings, pleasant rock and good shady stuff to be had here, plus its a change from the usual secret garden sircuit.

A. this is the problem someone reported, rock from the starting jug out left with heel on a cleaned foothold to the top vis and intermediate sloper if you need it. Can't remember what this was given, we thought 6cish.

B. This has been cleaned up by someone, seemed a good problem, 7aish? from the jug rail, get a good LH edge, RH up to toper out right then rock onto a heel on the jugs to a poor edge out left the top.

Theres also one or two combo "lefthand middle direct ferret dick" style problems to be had twixt the above two for the blinkered gent wanting to get the most out of his pay-and-display ticket....

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

Fj

• menacing presence
We never did the line to the right on the closest block as it was damp/snow covered on our visits.
Hare's Ear/The talented mr kipling is also worth finding as its a good sized block with good moves.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Any photo's? hopefully my project is still safe.

Did you pay and display then dave?

dave

i was clean out of change alas.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Looking at the picture posted by Dave, I just noticed the whole block looks a bit like a hare's ear (bear with me now). Which makes me wonder whether maybe the RH prob (B on photo) is in fact the thing Kim told me about (as mentioned in linked thread) i.e. the 7a problem he called Hare's Ear. In which case The Talented Mr Kipling might be an FA after all, as opposed to being the same line as Hare's Ear as I said on the other thread. Will have to check with KT.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 11:50:55 am by Bonjoy, Reason: clarity »

dave

I understand all the individual words in the above post, but it still reads like double dutch. All i know is you're currently in close proximity to some kind of Ursidoid. Grizzly or Kodiak?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
 Kershaw may be very hairy but I don't think he's a bear. More of a Llama if you ask me

dave

I always had him down as an alpaca. They all piss in the same pot.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
More of a Llama if you ask me

A one "l" lama, or a two "ll" llama?

Or is this getting a bit Ogden Nash.

Looks like a breaching Grey Whale to me.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Some kind of frog maybe, but I can't see where you're coming from with the grey whale thing

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
or a two "ll" llama?

Wouldn't that make it a llllama?  Some kind of Welsh Spiritual Beast?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Oh you mean Llllama, son of Llllllama, brother of Llllllllama, sister of Ermintrude the Cow and wicked step-uncle of Llam-ra - the Ev-er Llisping?   :-\

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Annoying in the mornings. A llama’s woken me up so many times…

Could that pun be any llama?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Watch out R-Man, BonJoy may getcha for Pun Crimes again :lol:

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie

A. this is the problem someone reported, rock from the starting jug out left with heel on a cleaned foothold to the top vis and intermediate sloper if you need it. Can't remember what this was given, we thought 6cish.

B. This has been cleaned up by someone, seemed a good problem, 7aish? from the jug rail, get a good LH edge, RH up to toper out right then rock onto a heel on the jugs to a poor edge out left the top.

Went and found these today. I also thought that they were good problems, though I did problem B slightly differently: reaching into the diagonal crack/seam from the righthand sloper.

Back towards Secret Garden we also found a nice little slab at about 6b up it's centre, and a good easy problem laybacking it's right arete.

Fj

• menacing presence
anyone been to find the talented Mr Kipling? it is exceedingly good.

r-man

• forum hero
Can't find an Owler Tor thread, but it's all the same area. Had a couple of dry hours at Owler Tor and we did a sitter to the spider crack arete, on its left, with trickiness to get to the good slot. Has this been done before? Name? Easiest way seemed to be a weird sitstart to toe jam then guppy. Felt about 7a.

dave

did you go out to the jug slot on the left wall? I did this problema few years back, thought 7a-ish.

r-man

• forum hero
Yep, that's the badger. Odd moves (if you can't reach the good handholds) to get established, then an easy reach to the jug. So this has no name then?

dave

i didn't give it a name or anything cos when i did it i had to roll a big rock out of the way to enable the sitstart. Did the problem then looked at the turfless hole the boulder had left and was worried it was a bit ugly and would turn into an instant puddle and cause errosion etc. So i moved the rock back where it was and left it unrecorded. Went back the following year and someone had shifted the rock anyway. I could think up a name maybe.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Sisyphus?

(I think I've done this problem too but found it quite reach dependent and may have more than one mat to sit on) 

r-man

• forum hero
If you don't name it, it will become known as Friend Slot Sitstart, since Friend Slot is the name of the standup in the BMC guide. Sisyphus is a good suggestion.

The obvious method is quite reach dependant FD, and I originally thought it would be 7B-ish without lank, but it turns out there's quite a funky static solution that isn't that hard (and doesn't require multiple mats).

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
R-Man I think your name is better for a sitter. I only mentioned Sisyphus as I pictured Dave, wracked with erosion torment trundling his boulder back and forth.  I certainly cheated when I did it so good effort figuring out the beta and taking the effort to report it  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal