UKBouldering.com

nicked cars (bastard manch scallys) (Read 5542 times)

El Mocho

• forum abuser
nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
December 15, 2007, 08:07:12 pm
After a call from the local bobbie the other night it turns out the van I bought about a year ago was nicked when I got it. It was well done - they changed the vin, forged a log book, new number plates etc we ran a security check before we bought it and it all matched.

The police have been slack in chasing things up (DVLA notified them in Jan) which has ment we had our summer holiday in it but also that I have spent loads of cash converting it and can remember very little about the guy we got it off.

Initially the cop reckoned the best we could hope for was to be able to buy the van back from the original owners insurance company at market value (so the original £6400 down the drain) but when he came around again the other night he mentioned that if you bought the vehicle in good faith (I did) then there might be some civil cort type thing where we might get to keep it/get some cash back. The copper was from Bakewell and has never delt with anything like this before so didn't really know what he was on about. Has anyone had any experience of this or know what the sketch is?

ps feel I am taking the news well as I managed not to swear in front of the copper or kick the dog, however I was climbing like shit when I went out the next day.

grimer

• forum hero
#1 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
December 15, 2007, 08:18:30 pm
That happened Mark Leach with a Porsch years ago. As far as I know, after a long time spent trying to get it back, legal fees, he gave up and became a barraster instead. Bad luck, that sucks.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#2 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
December 15, 2007, 09:27:48 pm
In theory you can try to get your money back from the man you gave it to. Obviously it's not that easy to find him and prove that he took your money - even if you do find him it will cost you more than you paid for the van in legal costs. This is pretty much what happened to Mr Leach. It sucks.

philo

• forum hero
#3 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
December 15, 2007, 09:52:51 pm
where did you buy it from?
:D

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
December 16, 2007, 11:13:43 am

Ouch - what a nightmare, sorry to hear you've been stung :(

The option of buying it back might be worth pursuing. I can't see them selling it to anyone else with such a history so they might do a deal?

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#5 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
December 16, 2007, 02:04:54 pm
where did you buy it from?
:D

Off autotrader, a guy in Manchester. I am sure if we let clm or Jim know they will find him in no time: mid 20s, short hair, 5'8", wore addidas, spoke with a manchester accent, semed a bit of a scally. Can't be many people like that around Manchester.

In theory you can try to get your money back from the man you gave it to. Obviously it's not that easy to find him and prove that he took your money - even if you do find him it will cost you more than you paid for the van in legal costs. This is pretty much what happened to Mr Leach. It sucks.

No chance of finding him (see above) plus it has been over a year so all mobile numbers will have been changed. The copper mentioned sueing the guy we bought it from the first night they were round but agreed the chance of finding him was slim. It was the second night when he mentioned some other sort of civil court type thing - more like us v the insurance company. Not to keen to get a soliciter involved at this stage - as people have said it could end up costing more than the van - but it would be good to have an idea about what the copper was on about to decide whether to purse it further. I will speak to my new mate (he comes round nearly every night now) PC McGreggor but he doesn't know much more than me at this stage!

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#6 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
December 16, 2007, 03:22:02 pm
This may not help, but surely the previous owner's address is registered with the DVLA  :shrug:. Ok so as the car was nicked anyway, they might have changed/given false information, but it's worth looking into. Assuming it hasn't already been thoroughly searched already.

clm

• forum hero
#7 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
December 16, 2007, 03:36:14 pm
you changed the locks - how they gonna take it back?

See the citizens advice - they may be able to help re; the DVLA knowing and nowt being done for ages - and re the civil court thing.  Its theirjob to represent you in such situations.

Option c

Take it to a quarry, burn it and claim the insurance.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
December 16, 2007, 04:24:24 pm

we ran a security check before we bought it and it all matched.
Is there any comeback here? Any sort of consumer protection if the HPI check company have okayed a dodgy car?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
December 16, 2007, 04:27:33 pm
Take it to a quarry, burn it and claim the insurance.
Can't see that working now it's been registered as stolen - i bet the insurance company will have a get-out clause to cover that situation.

The original owner's insurance may well sell it "as salvage" (can't see what else they're going to do with it). If you can get them to sell it to you instead of their salvage company then you should be able to re-register it and use it as normal. Ok, you will be fucked for any resale value but at least you get to keep the van.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 04:33:26 pm by Bubba »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#10 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
December 16, 2007, 06:44:19 pm
Initially the cop reckoned the best we could hope for was to be able to buy the van back from the original owners insurance company at market value (so the original £6400 down the drain)

The original owner's insurance may well sell it "as salvage" (can't see what else they're going to do with it). If you can get them to sell it to you instead of their salvage company then you should be able to re-register it and use it as normal. Ok, you will be fucked for any resale value but at least you get to keep the van.

Guess this is the best hope. Defo check out Citizen's advice first though.
At least if this happens, the price you buy it back for should be well less than you paid - market value has to take account of the id change which will render it worthless to anyone else but you, plus it'll be based on its real, older age.
Best way to think of it will be to consider the original cost plus the buyback cost as what you have paid for it. Instead of the cheap deal you got it'll be a bit overpriced, but no big deal. That's how I've been looking at my own recent strife anyway.

Andy_P

• regular
#11 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
December 17, 2007, 01:32:06 pm
Yeah, definitely go to Citizen's advice. You may be able to take advantage of the equitable doctrine, "Equity's Darling", if you were a purchaser for value in good faith without notice.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#12 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
December 17, 2007, 02:08:06 pm
Was it HPI you checked it with? If so they do guarantee up to £15k.
http://www.hpicheck.com/newfrontend/guarantee.jsp

Not sure about the others but probably the same deal

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#13 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
December 17, 2007, 02:22:29 pm
That sounds well shit Ben. Hope you manage to get it sorted.
Maybe worth contacting autotrader to see if they have any records or seeing if someone cache'd the advert somewhere.

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#14 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
December 19, 2007, 11:17:53 am
Cheers for all the ideas, I am thinking that the best we can hope for is to buy it back off the insurance company at a nice low price. My experience of insurance companies is they give you f all if your own car gets nicked and charge you a ton if you hit anyone else so I am expecting a bit of a fight to get a decent price. (We have had windows fitted in the back so I can always say I am going to take them out...)

Not sure about the others but probably the same deal

Checked with AA I think, but I only checked the vin after we had run the check on computer (it matched but it had be changed by the bastards anyhow) so I don't think we get anything. The security check would come back good anyhow as the info we gave was not for a nicked vehicle as it had all been changed to match a legit van which was crusing around Manchester too.

This may not help, but surely the previous owner's address is registered with the DVLA  :shrug:. Ok so as the car was nicked anyway, they might have changed/given false information, but it's worth looking into. Assuming it hasn't already been thoroughly searched already.

The log book was a forge to match this other van so the address was of a completely innocent (well probably) guy who owned the real van.

oh well

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#15 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
December 19, 2007, 11:37:53 am
Sucks. Bad luck.

PM sloper, he is the resident law talking guy.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#16 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
December 19, 2007, 11:56:51 am
Nah, not my area of law, I think Ru is a Chancery type.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#17 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
February 12, 2008, 04:35:40 pm

I was about to spend £3000 on a car but remembered this thread and ran an HPI check.  It turns out it had been a category C write-off, none of which was mentioned in the "full service history!"  £20 well spent. 

Thanks to Obi and commiserations to Ben.

Anyone selling a Polo, Fabia, or similar in good shape?!

chicane

• player
#18 Re: nicked cars (bastard manch scallys)
February 12, 2008, 04:56:27 pm

Just read this thread now - sorry its a bit late but I work for Autotrader so may be able to help but as you say if the scumbags are organised they will have changed phone numbers etc - its worth calling them to report it - let me know how you get on - I'll ask at work to see what the deal is.

Cheers

Matt

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal