UKBouldering.com

Will eating protein based foods after training help (Read 29157 times)

Andy_P

• regular
Invested in 2kg of MyProtein's Recovery XS. Can't vouch for its potency just yet. But believe me you will need a strong constitution to keep this stuff down. Tastes like shit with water and only marginally better with milk. This is not like Rego or Power Bar powders - you sacrifice big time in terms of flavour what you gain in terms of economy.

I was nearly sick!

Bought the chocolate smoothy flavour.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:07:52 pm by Andy_P, Reason: crap proofing first time round »

Paul B

• forum hero
School Boy Error - choc flavour = dogshit...

just add coco powder to it without flavour. Did you go for a sweetner as well? Sorry to add this now but did you get 5% off by using a code from their forum? each user gets one and you get a point per quid your mates spend using it, you can then redeem the points somehow.

Andy_P

• regular
Don't know if it has sweetener. But will buy unflavoured next time and experiment with mixing. If I add sugar, do you think it will have a detrimental effect re performance gains? Or is it just that more sugar = more fat?

Comments much appreciated.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
even eating shin of beef (which will probably have a lot less creatine per oz) I think i'm going to struggle there

Notwithstanding the cost, I'm sure your bowels would thank you for not trying to consume that much red meat!

Paul B

• forum hero
exactly, if you've seen me its even more laughable as well...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Got any figures for creatine in fish?  As it's synthesised by all vertebrates.  Often thought if I changed my mind about eating ex-living things I would choose that route.  I hate the metallic taste of meat, even after all these years I could never forget it.

Paul B

• forum hero
http://www.jbc.org/cgi/reprint/81/3/513.pdf

I havent read it properly just browsed it quickly but page 4  looks promising? Still fairly low 735mg per 100g seems to be the maximum.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
And throw a figure at me off the top of your swede for red meat - the cut w/ the highest concentration/100g - if you know it.

Paul B

• forum hero
somewhere in the region of 500mg (i think i've done that right 1g per 8oz ish),  which is lower than the figures in the table but I think that table is about a very specific region of the fish so its not wholly representitive, as well as that a lot gets screwed up by cooking...oh well  :-\

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Dig sushi or raw red meats?

Sushi's popular everywhere but it seems the Brit' palate doesn't care for raw flesh.  In the Reich it's quite popular - some forms of sausage (of course) for example.  Cured meats must preserve it - I'm guessing.

Paul B

• forum hero
Guess it depends whether or not its hot smoked.

I've never really eaten sushi, I tried it once in a hotel and thought it was pretty nasty. Lightly seared tuna steaks go down really well and of course a nice rare steak (of the finest quality).

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Try raw salmon, very thinly sliced w/ swedish gravad lachs (dill & mustard sauce) Fraudini swears by it as an ultimate.

Duma

• forum hero
raw salmon, very thinly sliced w/ swedish gravad lachs

aww man, where's that good things thread?

Paul B

• forum hero
The food glorious food thread was better (sorry big H but it was)...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Yeah maybe  :shrug:

But there's no boooooooooooooze in that one  :o

Paul B

• forum hero
Invested in 2kg of MyProtein's Recovery XS. Can't vouch for its potency just yet. But believe me you will need a strong constitution to keep this stuff down. Tastes like shit with water and only marginally better with milk. This is not like
Rego or Power Bar powders - you sacrifice big time in terms of flavour what you gain in terms of economy.

I was nearly sick!

Bought the chocolate smoothy flavour.

Ok sorry to dig this thread up again I just thought i'd better add my 2p after sampling My Protein (no jokes please). My MM cyclone ran out a bit over a week ago so I ordered some Hurricane XS (in the always suspect chocolate).

First Impressions:
Cost - 17 per KG (delivered, 14 without delivery, 13 without delivery and tub etc.) Obviously a lot cheaper than mainstream brands.
The Tub - Is a pile of shit, keep an old SIS screw top one or MM because MP tubs look like they contain poly filler ( :-\) They deliver in sealed food bags so its no hassle to do this.
Powder - It all looked well ground and well mixed to me a little coarser than MM cyclone but not a lot.
Mixing - Mixed it with water, took a little bit of experimenting to get it right but it seems to mix well enough with no evil froth or anything else.
Taste - I'd agree with Andy P, it tastes like shit compared to the other brands, there is certainly something a lot more chemical about it, I hope its due to not wanting to alter the content rather than just being shit but who knows, I'll vouch for it when I've finished this tub. (A few more servings into the tub the taste seemed to be less of an issue).

account_inactive

• forum hero
I've found that the biggest difference (except dubious micro-nutrients) between the expensive brands and the cheap stuff is taste.  I only use a small amount of liquid and knock it back, so that doesn't make too much of a difference to me.  I tried a friends (at a gym) which was one of the most expensive I'd heard of and it tasted like milkshake  :beer2:

BTW Paul be careful with the MP shakers.  I managed to decorate the kitchen with milk on my first attempt and then in the same day drop it at the Tor and it broke it 1000 pieces.  I think this could have been the old mark 1 versions though!

Paul B

• forum hero
Cheers for the heads up however I have a decent screw top MM one (from a time when bizarrely they were cheaper in Decathlon than their Domynos own brand which has a shit pop top, Dense always mixes his with warm stuff and it makes the lid pop off and spray him  :lol: )
What else did you buy? I think we should get some pulse and feed it to Dobbin...

duncan_s

Being a cheapskate I got the unflavoured whey. I add it to milk for a bit more protein and it tastes ok, makes the milk more rich and creamy. I did mean to add a fast acting carb to the order, but forgot so just use choc nesquick now and the shakes taste dam good!

Paul B

• forum hero
my second order just went in yesterday... The hurricane xs has totally grown on me, Id even go as far as to say I like it. How many people off here buy from MP? its the same price for delivery up to 25kgs....

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
EDIT . wrong thread

Eddies

• forum hero
My first order of Hurricane XS arrived yesterday.... gonna hit the gym tonight.

As i train after work around 7pm for 2.5 - 3hrs is it really worth having a shake on the morning of my workout?

I was thinking of just having one straight after my workout!?

Paul B

• forum hero

Eddies

• forum hero
Errr... yeh, so thats from 7pm untill 9.30 or 10pm
Seems a bit pointless to have a shake in the morning?

Paul B

• forum hero
2.5 hours at the gym seems a lot?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal