UKBouldering.com

Inspire me for gritstone. (Read 10451 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#25 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
October 30, 2007, 08:56:02 pm
Baslow is brilliant for easy soloing. Lots of excellent short slabby routes. Stick a pad down and suddenly there's so much rock to just enjoy.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#26 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
October 30, 2007, 10:17:50 pm
Sloper - can't make this week as I am working nights but next Monday would be good for me - lift possibly available from Sheffield though bouldering mat space might be a bit limited.

bluebrad

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#27 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
October 30, 2007, 11:39:16 pm
Looks as if Monday will be the day.

We can drag Fiend out and have a live exposition of a list of the top 50 E0's on grit.

If we're going from Sheff, who else is up for it?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#28 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 02, 2007, 04:54:59 pm
Looks as if Monday will be the day.

We can drag Fiend out and have a live exposition of a list of the top 50 E0's on grit.

If we're going from Sheff, who else is up for it?

Yessir that will be the one.

I will be up for it on Mon, definitely this time. This is on the condition I can try a couple of routes okay. No routes, no lift, no ranting about E0s. Actually I'm flexible on the ranting...

Will be back from Wales Sunday night and either at cider nutter's in Stoke or back in Sheff, if it's the former I can get up early and make a move back to Sheffield. Happy to give lifts to all and sundry in return for a bit of petrol money (you'll see why) and a tolerance to being forced to choose between E0 ranting and ear-sodomising drum'n'noise. Maybe. Will be in touch with sloper and or butters Sunday night??

andy_e

• forum hero
#29 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 02, 2007, 05:00:47 pm
ear-sodomising E0 ranting drum'n'noise.

:-\
* andi_e opens cubase and samples fiend's rantings

nik at work

• forum hero
#30 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 02, 2007, 05:12:42 pm
Well I'm going to be busy first thing but should be able to get up there for 11-ish which should be more than early enough. I'll also post an early morning weather report which is probably worth checking to save the innocent from a pointless hour and a half of earbleeding music coupled with mad ethical ranting in fiends car.

If people are interested I could be persuaded to make a post climb cheesecake, just make sure you all practice your CPR over the weekend....

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#31 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 02, 2007, 05:19:56 pm
I may have to see if I can get away from work early.  Sounds like a fun meet.

r-man

• forum hero
#32 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 02, 2007, 05:36:50 pm
Cheesecake is my favourite cake; count me in. Can I have a lift, Fiend?

choose between E0 ranting and ear-sodomising drum'n'noise.

One vote for E0 ranting.

Sloper

• forum hero
#33 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 02, 2007, 09:36:11 pm
OK Monday is goooooooooooooooooooo (where's the Murray Wanker smiley twat thing)

Fiend I hope your car is less sensible than mine.

Shall we say 9.30 at Waitrose?

(10 am at Lidl for any proles hoping to attned)

nik at work

• forum hero
#34 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 04, 2007, 07:15:57 pm
Right who, if anyone, is coming to Blackstone tomorrow. I have cheesecake ingredients ready to go and if the weathers anything like today it should be a good session.

Lets say 4 definites (assuming good weather) and I'll break out the apron. You have until first thing tomorrow morning when I post the early morning weather report to bagsey your slice of cardiac destruction....

(GCW you're welcome to attend the cheesecakeing even if you can't get away from work early enough to climb)

r-man

• forum hero
#35 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 04, 2007, 07:21:14 pm
I can't come anymore, unfortunately. Too much work. Hope everyone enjoys the cheesecake as much as I would have.   :)

andy_e

• forum hero
#36 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 04, 2007, 07:22:36 pm
Lift from Leeds anyone?

nik at work

• forum hero
#37 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 04, 2007, 07:23:55 pm
If you can get a train to Tod station I can easily pick you up from there if thats any help andi.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#38 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 04, 2007, 08:01:59 pm
What time is all this action kicking off?  I may be able to get there about 1 or 2.  You guys still gonna be around?
Andi, if you get a train to Manchester I can give you a lift on the back of the bike :lol:

nik at work

• forum hero
#39 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 04, 2007, 08:13:43 pm
I would have thought that by the time sloper has had his morning cigar and seven shots of coffee they won't leave sheffield area until 11 at the earliest, so by 1-ish we should just be lining up our first excuses. I think I'll go with "my knees are too small" this time and Tom will probably play the fat card as usual. I'm working in the morning and doubt I'll be up there before 12 at the earliest.

Andi the train too Tod should be very easy from Leeds, no connections or anything, and should also be pretty cheap as you stay within the west yorkshire do-dah. Apparently if you go outside of this prices suddenly go up. Can you bear to travel with the hoi-polloi on public transport though? If you want to get the train let me know and I'll PM you my mobile (the number obviously, not the actual phone, that would just be silly...)

Sloper

• forum hero
#40 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 04, 2007, 09:25:09 pm
Just for the record I'm down to fewer than 12 shots of espresso a day (on avarage).

We should be there by about mid-day.

nik at work

• forum hero
#41 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 04, 2007, 09:31:47 pm
We?

You, Bluebrad, Fiend?

Because it sounds like Andi E will be coming so that would make the required 4 attendees. I'll have to get my apron out....

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#42 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 04, 2007, 09:43:40 pm
I'll try to post sometime to let you know if I'll make it or not.  Hopefully get there on time.
Bit of a mixed forecast unfortunately.

nik at work

• forum hero
#43 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 05, 2007, 07:57:03 am
Well it was dry overnight and was looking promising first thing this morning, but now there is a very light shower, and the clouds seem to have closed in a bit a darkened up. It could go either way right now, I don't think there has been enough rain to stop play, and the weather is supposed to improve as the day progresses so fingers crossed....

Tom if you decide not to bother coming over will you text me to let me know? Cheers.

nik at work

• forum hero
#44 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 05, 2007, 08:24:55 am
Getting a bit wetter now. My official call if pushed would be don't bother coming. Once it gets damp it takes age to dry up there and I think it's probably heading towards that damp state.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#45 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 05, 2007, 09:29:44 am
Bummer.  All the green stuff takes a while to dry off.  The forecast I saw suggested it would dry off later on.  Any chance of an update about 11:00?  Cheers.

BenF

• forum hero
#46 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 05, 2007, 03:56:33 pm
Just read this thread and it doesn't seem to have been mentioned, but Laddow is worth a visit for a day.  You can tick all the worthwhile stuff quickly and boy is it worthwhile - or at least the HVS-E1 stuff is anyway (the easier stuff was a bit grotty).  Got a bit of height to it too, as well as a range of styles from steep cracks, bold slabs and aretes, through to fun juggy roofs.  I loved it when I went up there the other week anyway.  Plus it's quiet and in a beautiful spot.  You may well have been up there though.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#47 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 05, 2007, 07:13:36 pm
Have been indeed. A bit of a summer crag and all a bit mountaineering to get up there. Agree that there's some fine routes around that standard.

Have realised that one good way to get inspiration is me buying the recent Stanage guide. Worked a couple of years back with the Burbage guide showing me stuff I hadn't previously considered, so a weighty new tome could be the key...

BenF

• forum hero
#48 Re: Inspire me for gritstone.
November 06, 2007, 08:11:08 am
Agree with your comments about Laddow, just thought I'd mention it because it gave me a fine day's soloing and routing the other week.  Plus nobody I've spoken to since actually seems to have heard of it...  serves me right for hanging out with a bunch of boulderers.

As for the Stanage guide, I'm with you on that too, even down to acknowledging how the Burbage guide opened my eyes to lots of stuff that I didn't know existed, routes and problems.  Plus it's a chance to buy yet another guidebook with which you can wile away yet more winter evenings. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal