UKBouldering.com

froggatt bouldering (Read 19620 times)

grimer

• forum hero
froggatt bouldering
September 14, 2007, 09:19:58 am
Does anyone know who's been doing some new stuff at froggatt, especially a superb looking steep wall near the brook?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

dave

#2 Re: froggatt bouldering
September 17, 2007, 11:39:48 am
sounds interesting. its like its 1997 again with the grades. can someone lend me some lasers?

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#3 Re: froggatt bouldering
September 17, 2007, 11:42:09 am
Those were the days my friend, those were the days... 8)

grimer

• forum hero
#4 Re: froggatt bouldering
September 17, 2007, 11:42:59 am
Thanks Fiend. Will check that out, but this is definitely different. The stuff is on ladies Buttress, across the stream from Indoor Fisherman.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#5 Re: froggatt bouldering
September 17, 2007, 12:33:02 pm
Hmmm dunno. Sir Simon Of Jacques keeps sniffing around there but I suspect the stuff you mean is harder than B0... Are there any paw-marks on it??

Jacqusie

• stalker
#6 Re: froggatt bouldering
September 20, 2007, 10:26:42 pm
The bouldery Froggatt stuff I left on Grimer's smelly deask at the BMC - is a tad confusing I agree - but then I am a local & know every squrriels name in the wood.

Niall - thats my project on the Brookside boulder - its Beth Jordache - working grade! Jimmy Corkhill is to the left on the same boulder - I am on wit the script - honest - its nearly done - give us a shout Irish...

Si

Jacqusie

• stalker
#7 Re: froggatt bouldering
September 20, 2007, 10:29:15 pm

Oh and you have my original script to Froggatt at ladies:

Ladies Butress
Ladies Butress direct
Belly Dancer

a great boulder start to Belly dancer if that what your on aboot?!

Behind is the Brookside boulder.

cheers

si

RopeBoy

• menacing presence
#8 Re: froggatt bouldering
September 21, 2007, 11:45:46 pm

Oh and you have my original script to Froggatt at ladies:

Ladies Butress
Ladies Butress direct
Belly Dancer

a great boulder start to Belly dancer if that what your on aboot?!

Behind is the Brookside boulder.

cheers

si

Belly Dancer! lol, I'd wiped that from my memory, looking back probably best done as a higball, but mats weren't used as much then.

J :-)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#9 Re: froggatt bouldering
October 02, 2007, 12:39:04 am
Checked out Paul Mitchell's problems at Froggatt today. Directions given took us on a bewildering tour down valleys, over bogs and up hills, to arrive (mostly by luck) at a small face right beneath the road, just round the corner from the car. So...

Directions: Walk down the road from the Froggatt carpark. Just a bit after the brick wall rises on the left and the metal safety barrier disappears on the right, hop over the wall on the right. The crag is just there, beneath. Two pads seemed fine for everything, but more might be useful.

This is the obvious highball line, which seems to match the Computer Say No description. It is excellent. One lovely move to swing up to the top of the arete. Font 6a+ ish. Movement a bit like Strawberries at Curbar, but easier and much much better.

Other problems... A 5+ arete. With traffic it would be quite nice...

Ants On The Moon - Another 5+ highball, or maybe VS.

Sideways Says Sigmund - We did a small traverse, which was fun enough to warrant a description - Start bridged between block and slab, and press left to finish on the arete. 6bish.

The project - Thin moves on unhelpful holds. Technical. I predict at least 7b+.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 12:45:27 am by r-man »

dave

#10 Re: froggatt bouldering
October 02, 2007, 08:56:30 am
so hang on, where does mitchell's B8 fit into all this?

cofe

• forum hero
#11 Re: froggatt bouldering
October 02, 2007, 09:26:25 am
i figured it was the left hand side of the wall w/o arete. the right hand side above the sloping landing being the project. but it looks like it would be hard to avoid the arete as the holds lead that way. hence what robin did makes sense. b8 looks eliminate - avoiding arete and trending up right to tree rather than left to arete.

the directions are rubbish.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#12 Re: froggatt bouldering
October 02, 2007, 09:42:35 am
i honestly think the word project gets banded about too often. in most cases recently, in my opinion, the word 'project' could easily be replaced with 'utter toss piece of rock that no one has bothered to climb on for good reason'. for me, at least, the word 'project' is inspiring. a bit like ben, jerry, and malcolm
if nobody was aware the crimpy wall thing at froggatt was done a while ago by iain farrar of man-flu fame. this may have been reported elsewhere

dave

#13 Re: froggatt bouldering
October 02, 2007, 10:39:43 am
word banks also did that the other week. terrible landing.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#14 Re: froggatt bouldering
October 02, 2007, 11:56:52 am
if nobody was aware the crimpy wall thing at froggatt was done a while ago by iain farrar of man-flu fame. this may have been reported elsewhere

Do you have any knowledge on name, grade etc.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#15 Re: froggatt bouldering
October 02, 2007, 12:39:24 pm
i figured it was the left hand side of the wall w/o arete. the right hand side above the sloping landing being the project. but it looks like it would be hard to avoid the arete as the holds lead that way. hence what robin did makes sense. b8 looks eliminate - avoiding arete and trending up right to tree rather than left to arete.

Yes, we were a little confused too. Nothing in the description actually says go out right, just use crack to right. And there are good holds below every tree. So we climbed what seemed like the obvious way up, and it was good, so we left it at that. Whatever we did, it's a very nice easier problem, one of those that reminds you why doing easier lines on grit is so fun. If this was around your limit it would be a real headgame.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#16 Re: froggatt bouldering
October 02, 2007, 12:46:46 pm
not too sure andy. 7b+ maybe 7c was mentioned but don't know whether that involved the low move into it or just the obvious start? you will know more than me here since i haven't seen it. out of interest i know iain dynoed it but le grand doights is getting right heel high and going left to sloper. was going to go tomorrow but plans have changed now. will find out relevant details asap

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#17 Re: froggatt bouldering
October 02, 2007, 01:00:27 pm
not too sure andy. 7b+ maybe 7c was mentioned but don't know whether that involved the low move into it or just the obvious start? you will know more than me here since i haven't seen it. out of interest i know iain dynoed it but le grand doights is getting right heel high and going left to sloper. was going to go tomorrow but plans have changed now. will find out relevant details asap

That's alot of knowledge for someone who hasn't even seen a problem! I did it from from sitting, and think that this is the only logical way, as it's not a very big wall and you can almost reach the top from standing. I couldn't quite reach the sloper from decent footholds, and so I dynoed it as well.

uptown

• junky
#18 Re: froggatt bouldering
October 02, 2007, 01:05:32 pm
What's with the man-flu thing? I thought Iain's famous for getting sick from weird fungus meals?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#19 Re: froggatt bouldering
October 02, 2007, 01:13:19 pm
take the low move thing with a pinch of salt andy, maybe a sideways move into it? will find out

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#20 Re: froggatt bouldering
October 02, 2007, 01:29:41 pm
It's pretty obvious when you get there I think: Sit start on obvious crimp rail, straight up to next crimp rail, span left to another crimp, then either go again with left to sloper, or lay one on for the top. They are all the holds there is, unless there could be some dubious use of the right edge of the wall?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#21 Re: froggatt bouldering
October 02, 2007, 04:08:58 pm
the integrity of the boulderers concerned is beyond question. no aretes were used. any fault in the reporting is my own

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#22 Re: froggatt bouldering
October 02, 2007, 04:51:48 pm
No questioning of anything intended. When I say "dubious" it usually just means "something I might of missed." Who used the sloper method?

Jacqusie

• stalker
#23 Re: froggatt bouldering
October 04, 2007, 08:26:10 pm
Checked out Paul Mitchell's problems at Froggatt today. Directions given took us on a bewildering tour down valleys, over bogs and up hills, to arrive (mostly by luck) at a small face right beneath the road, just round the corner from the car. So...

Directions: Walk down the road from the Froggatt carpark. Just a bit after the brick wall rises on the left and the metal safety barrier disappears on the right, hop over the wall on the right. The crag is just there, beneath. Two pads seemed fine for everything, but more might be useful.

This is the obvious highball line, which seems to match the Computer Say No description. It is excellent. One lovely move to swing up to the top of the arete. Font 6a+ ish. Movement a bit like Strawberries at Curbar, but easier and much much better.

Other problems... A 5+ arete. With traffic it would be quite nice...

Ants On The Moon - Another 5+ highball, or maybe VS.

Sideways Says Sigmund - We did a small traverse, which was fun enough to warrant a description - Start bridged between block and slab, and press left to finish on the arete. 6bish.

The project - Thin moves on unhelpful holds. Technical. I predict at least 7b+.

I knew there was some fucking bouldering down there - just too fat & lazy to really explore!

...The Ladies Butress problem is quality & some ace lil lines round there too -

All will be shown to the world in time (we have only been doing this guide for 7 years now!!!    :whistle:

si

account_inactive

• forum hero
#24 Re: froggatt bouldering
October 04, 2007, 09:03:10 pm
Did Iain F not do this project to the break already?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal