UKBouldering.com

Alport - Nuda Tartan - Strange Goings On ??? (Read 13691 times)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Yes, but then he will have a crushing headache and possibly a nosebleed.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
He'll get over it.  And what's more, he won't remember that he's learned his lesson the next time he's offered them either.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Poppers, now theres a blast from the past

ben8522

Paul is on the money, this had nothing to do with moving the machinery so you can step down off that high horse.  And after all, it is not really "one of the best bouldering venues in the peak"!  Unless you were being sarcastic in which case nice one!

Lets wait to see what happens when the popper people (hopefully) get on the case and do their thing, otherwise all those grudges might get you pumped ;)

Doesn't really matter who's fault it is and theres no point in pointing the finger (sorry), but the good thing is that the situation seems to be well on the way to being resolved.
I would say Alport is definatley my favorite off piste venue anyway !   

Jacqusie

• stalker
Henry Folkard's away at the moment - he's your man for Haddon Estates. I will no doubt get a phone call when he's back & I'll report in these events.

For what its worth from an access reps point of view - the moving of the old machinery - which I have seen - isn't really that much of an Issue I guess - but the litter is.

Who is doing this - people on here do we think? Please please - take everything home with you - litter did it for us at Eagle Tor & climbers effectively got the crag banned for themselves - which to any normal person - sounds rediculous!

Anyhoo - lets see what Henry has to say & stay away until we find out whats what ey?

Cheers

Si

Access Rep

Paul B

• forum hero
Who is doing this - people on here do we think? Please please - take everything home with you - litter did it for us at Eagle Tor & climbers effectively got the crag banned for themselves - which to any normal person - sounds rediculous!

I think your preaching to the converted on UKB...

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Agreed - I can't actually remember climbing with anyone who hasn't tidied up their mess at the end of a session. Perhaps there are climbers that do litter without a care, but I prefer to think it's more likely that after staying for "just one more go", darkness descends and makes stray bits of tape and cigarette ends easy to miss. With that in mind, picking up other people's mess doesn't make me feel bitter. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. This is not to be confused with the sensation derived from swallowing a gerbil.

Jacqusie

• stalker
Who knows who it is?

I have an opine as usual - but am trying to be corporate!

::)

BTW Gerbil swallowing - never paticipated in that shizzle - so no idea!!

:-\

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie

I think your preaching to the converted on UKB...

It would be nice to think this, but surely the vast majority of people who have been here, and therefore probably those who have dropped litter, have found out about it, through this forum. I could be wrong, is it recorded elsewhere?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
It would be nice to think this, but surely the vast majority of people who have been here, and therefore probably those who have dropped litter, have found out about it, through this forum. I could be wrong, is it recorded elsewhere?
Don't forget this forum is also open to "guest" visitors, so anyone with a search engine could come along and find out some info.
Plus there's always word of mouth.

I'm sure every regular UKBer would take their litter home (plus more) and be very careful and courteous, wouldn't they?

There's always littering by people that should know better, for example the banana skin I watched being thrown into the grass by a well known climber.   >:(

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
I'm sure every regular UKBer would take their litter home (plus more) and be very careful and courteous, wouldn't they?

Erm, no. Do you know all regular UKBers? well then, how can you possibly make a sweeping statement that we would all be careful and courteous? clearly you have never met Dense!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I just don't get it. How difficult is it to take your litter home?! Having read about the very sad situation at Eagle Tor I thought that surely people would have learnt a very important lesson from this.

The fact is that there are two issues here about the same thing. Firstly what kind of scummy chav leaves litter lying around at the crag anyway? It's the countryside for God's sake. Dropping litter in the street is bad enough but in the country it's totally inexcusable. Secondly jeopordising access to certain areas is an extremely unwanted byproduct which you would have thought might make even the selfish think again as littering is directly affecting their enjoyment of the sport. So we're either dealing with ignorant selfish bastards or THICK ignorant selfish bastards.

I was up at Mother Cap yesterday evening (bumbling about happily, losing all my skin etc) and collected three plastic bottles and a half eaten bag of crisps while there. Lovely. It would be nice to believe that this was all the work of the hordes of families, young couples, chavs, German schoolgirls (yes there were last night) etc who frequent the area every time the sun shines. However some of this crap was found by the little boulder above the quarry (along with a used roll of tape which kinda swings it) where it's unlikely anyone apart from boulderers would go.

Obviously access is not an issue here but the same rules should apply. It's great that so many more people are enjoying bouldering now but if it means retarded twats leaving their shite all over the countryside then I almost wish it would return to being the elitist passtime it used to be. Even it that did mean me being too weak to join in.

Perhaps it IS preaching to the converted on here (and hopefully that's the case) but by the same token it's worth reiterating for the sake of "guest" users that THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOUR.

Maybe there should be a sticky post about it somewhere? Anything that might make one person think again before defacing the countryside and risking losing another bouldering venue would be worthwile in my humble opinion.

:furious:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
True words sir.I don't think this is ever a point that can be over emphasised.

I am unlikely to ever visit the place, but I do like the name Nuda Tartan. Any idea of the origins?

dave

Iain Farrar Monch called his lip traverse there "nuda's tartan". its not the name of the crag no more than powerband is the name of that crag by the riven in millers dale.

guykeating

I have just spoken with a rep. from Haddon Estates about bouldering on the crag.
Turns out they got twitchy over Occupiers Liability/insurance after 'school kids were seen clambering over the rocks'..and advice from their land agent was to restrict access to cover themselves.
I explained this may not be necessary for 'natural features' - they seemed interrested in exploring this further & we arranged to get together in 2 weeks time.
I'll let you know the outcome of this.

guy
BMC A & C

Ps. Rheinstor also belongs to the estate.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
Don't forget this forum is also open to "guest" visitors, so anyone with a search engine could come along and find out some info.
Plus there's always word of mouth.

There's always littering by people that should know better, for example the banana skin I watched being thrown into the grass by a well known climber.   >:(

The fact that this forum is read by many guest visitors and members who post very little, is exactly my point. It's not just regular posters who will read this thread either, so not just preaching to the converted.

I think it is a big assumption to think that all regular UKBer's are any more responsible than anyone else, as an example of this, wasn't a regular poster boasting about blaring out tunes from their car at a venue in Ogwen not so long ago? As you point out in your last sentence there are some people who should know better that don't.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
 :agree: hence the suggestion that it might be an idea to try to raise the profile of the problem somehow. I don't even think that with the Eagle Tor situation there's been enough publicity pointing out that the loss of access is the direct result of climbers actions. People should be feckin outraged really.

I don't know what the best way of raising the profile of the issue is but I do think something should be done (know that sounds totally useless).

Otherwise it's just gonna get worse. :thumbsdown:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Its all well and good banging on about not dropping litter at the crag but the sad fact is its still going to happen, wether its deliberate or accidental.
If you see litter - pick it up. If you see people littering - kill them.
by this process I think eventually all littering will be wiped out.

ps

nice one Guy

Teaboy

• forum hero
If you see people littering - kill them.

It probably doesn't need saying but if you do do this please dispose of the body sensibly.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I though bodies were biodegadeable, and therefore OK to leave lying around, like banana skins, which ties into;

Banana skins and other plant matter ARE biodegradeable, eventually. Until that point they are LITTER and unsightly. Bag it up and take it home to compost it. DO NOT tie it up in the bag and throw it in the bin.

I feel better now.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK

BTW, the crag is called Nuda's Tartan according to one of the old Peak Supplements.

Iain Farrar Monch called his lip traverse there "nuda's tartan". its not the name of the crag no more than powerband is the name of that crag by the riven in millers dale.

Error. Does not compute. ;)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Just for the record, I don't think Eagle Tor was banned cos of littering. Reading what the woman said, it sounds like she was uncomfortable with the thought of strangers on her land which she'd like to reserve for her kids play on. She then found some shit which was the last straw. Shitting at the crag and littering are slightly different issues, obviously neither are acceptable as a rule. I'm not convinced either were 'the reason' why Eagle tor is banned.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
Turns out they got twitchy over Occupiers Liability/insurance after 'school kids were seen clambering over the rocks

And added to this, it seems littering may not be the greatest threat to British climbing since rain, sea birds and dance drugs.

dave

BTW, the crag is called Nuda's Tartan according to one of the old Peak Supplements.

Error. Does not compute. ;)

I appologise, i do not recall seeing lovejoys previous post on the matter. so whats the traverse called then smartarse?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a

Erm, no. Do you know all regular UKBers? well then, how can you possibly make a sweeping statement that we would all be careful and courteous? clearly you have never met Dense!

Thou missed the sarcasm of my italics, Dobbinator and Andy B!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal