UKBouldering.com

DVD drive (Read 3319 times)

Simon S

• menacing presence
DVD drive
July 03, 2007, 01:19:21 pm
I have a problem......after inserting a disk into the dvd drive it does nothing. A CD will work fine. I tried installing power dvd software but still no luck, it just asked for the DMA to be enabled, then it restarts and asks for the same again.  :wall:

I was thinking that the drive may need replacement, any thoughts before I buy another one. :(

Cheers

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: DVD drive
July 03, 2007, 01:50:51 pm
DMA is a feature that allows disk drives (be they hard/CD/DVD, hardware in general) to use system memory (i.e. RAM, or if you've not got enough of that swap, but the later would be really slow) for reading/writing, independent of the CPU (shamelessly plagarised from entry at wikipedia).

I've played around with the DMA settings on my various drives under GNU/Linux, and it can improve performance quite.

You don't mention what OS your using.  If your on some GNU/Linux variant I can probably offer some pointers, but wouldn't have a clue where to start under M$-windows.

You could use a google specific search to start hunting down how to enable DMA, its probably in the Hardware Management somewhere (but that really is a guess, since I've not used M$-windows in about five years).

I doubt you'll need to replace the drive though.

slack

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#2 Re: DVD drive
July 03, 2007, 02:06:54 pm
Have you enabled DMA?

Simon S

• menacing presence
#3 Re: DVD drive
July 03, 2007, 02:28:55 pm
I can't seem to enable DMA under device manager/settings.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: DVD drive
July 03, 2007, 02:37:31 pm
I can't seem to enable DMA under device manager/settings.

Does that mean that you can't find the settings to alter, or that you've found them and you can't alter them, or that you've altered them, but they don't seem to have made any difference?

Does any of the information at here help?

A full walk through with screen-shots is here.

It may be that your getting six or more errors which means that XP will disable it.

This is of course assuming that your using XP, you could be using Vista or something else?

Simon S

• menacing presence
#5 Re: DVD drive
July 03, 2007, 03:49:49 pm
Sorry, forgot to mention that I'm on XP. Thanks for the links, and I've now enabled DMA. DVDs still fail to run, and under my computer the device is still listed as CD drive under 'type'. Balls!!!! :shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: DVD drive
July 03, 2007, 04:07:01 pm
Sorry, forgot to mention that I'm on XP. Thanks for the links, and I've now enabled DMA. DVDs still fail to run, and under my computer the device is still listed as CD drive under 'type'. Balls!!!! :shrug:

Afraid I can't think of anything much else.

You could check in your BIOS how the drive is being detected.  Reboot the comp, and before Windows starts doing anything hit something like F2 or F11 or Ctrl+D (it should say on the screen somewhere how to get into your setup).  You can then see what the BIOS thinks is connected.  If your in luck then it will see it as CD/DVD, in which case the problem lies in Windows and how it is detecting it.  If its only seeing it as a CD then you'd need to update your BIOS to support it (if support exists).  Never had to do this before I'm afraid.

It might require a fair amount of googling, but I wouldn't rush out and buy a new drive just yet.

I can't recommend any M$-windows forums as I never use them, but this board looks fairly well used msfn.org.  Also google for the model of drive you have and other key terms such as '[drive model] dvd fails'.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,

slack

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#7 Re: DVD drive
July 03, 2007, 04:27:48 pm
For £20 don't waste your time trying to sort it.

Buy a new one. http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/cat/CD---DVD-Drives/subcat/DVD-RW-IDE-Drives

In my experience DVD burners have a bad habit of stopping working for no explanation. Quite often they will still read CD's (they use different lasers to read DVD's and CD's) when just the DVD laser has blown.

It's hugely frustrating trying to isolate the problem, you'll waste lots of time and blank CD's/DVD's upgrading firmware/reading forums etc etc. 9 times out of 10 it will be a blown laser so it's ready for the bin.

Simon S

• menacing presence
#8 Re: DVD drive
July 03, 2007, 05:21:36 pm
Cheers for the advice guys, it is very much appreciated. :beer2:

I've finally decided to get a new drive, since I'm bored of arsing about and getting nowhere. One day wasted is enough, even if the weather is shit!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#9 Re: DVD drive
July 04, 2007, 05:07:58 pm
I've recently had a speight (sp?) of cd and dvd drives breaking.
Listen to obi, major brand 18 speed +-dvd writers are £20 and dvd roms are £10, don't waste your time - get it in the bin.
Obviously to get these prices you need to go to a decent computer shop (ie not pc -ripoff- world)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#10 Re: DVD drive
July 04, 2007, 05:56:54 pm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal