UKBouldering.com

Bouldering/climbing in India (Read 2631 times)

galpinos

• forum hero
Bouldering/climbing in India
June 14, 2007, 10:43:52 am
As everyone seems so knowledgable and well travelled.......

Anyone know much about bouldering/climbing in India. I'm off out to Mumbai with work for up to 6 weeks so quite fancy finding something. I realise it's be the rainy season but .....

I know of Hampi down Goa way. Any info on this or any other areas? Is a pad pretty essential or are the landings fine?

:please:

soapy

• junky
    • maskon

galpinos

• forum hero
#2 Re: Bouldering/climbing in India
June 14, 2007, 11:57:30 am

The internet is indeed great, however the web nazis at work have blocked nearly all sites with any sport related content, hence 8a.nu and nearly all climbing sites are blocked  :boohoo: ,bizarrely ukb forums are fine.  :thumbsup:

I was after personal opinions and info as well if that's possible.

Thanks.

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#3 Re: Bouldering/climbing in India
June 16, 2007, 01:46:01 pm
Hampi is easy to get to from Goa - theres a train to a nearby village (about 10 hours as a recall) and then its a short tuk tuk ride to hampi itself. The best accommodation is over the river but is by no means expensive.

If your visiting at any time of the year other than Jan / Feb be prepared to get hot - temps regularly clear 40 degrees during the day. I was getting up at 5am to get the relatively cool conditions. Also - if your staying for any length of time - be prepared to get ill. Dense can tell you all about this  ;)

Other than that the bouldering is good and extensive. Beware - some of the holds can be a bit snappy and its a LONG way to the nearest place where you would actually want to get any medical treatment

chappers

• forum hero
#4 Re: Bouldering/climbing in India
June 18, 2007, 07:36:04 am
if you cant get onto 8a. here is what it says. (small bit of)

Mumbai: Mumbai has a very nice bouldering area and a few sport routes on its outskirts. The rock is basalt and there is some variation in its texture even in the area itself. Grades range from V0 to V8 and from 5b to 7c+ for boulders and sport routes respectively. It will take at least 2-3 days for a very good climber to complete everything around. There is a scope for more problems. The best time to come would be anytime from October to February. Staying is never a problem- just e-mail us.
P.S. You are always welcome at the Girivihar International Climbing Competition, which takes place here in late January! Some climbers of note have already visited it.

if you are there for a while, im sure that you will be able to quest up to the himalaya. close to gongotri there is some fantastic bouldering. but watch out, when i went the village was closed due to heavy snow.

ill try and find the website of a guy who had done loads of bouldering up in the big mountains...

galpinos

• forum hero
#5 Re: Bouldering/climbing in India
June 19, 2007, 01:14:02 pm

Cheers guys, I'm now out here for an unkown length of time so I'll have to find something. It's going to get pretty wet though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal