UKBouldering.com

US car hire etc (Read 6742 times)

cofe

• forum hero
US car hire etc
May 29, 2007, 09:15:52 pm
anyone got any good knowledge for car hire in the united states of the freeworld. cali side etc?

ta

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#1 Re: US car hire etc
May 30, 2007, 12:12:45 am
Compare www.holidayautos.co.uk with www.autosabroad.com and go for the cheapest 'all in' package.

Don't waste time booking directly with Avis. Bevis, Thrifty, Bifty, etc, these guys are always cheapest and easiest.  They both use the big players to supply cars anyway. Go for an all in package including a tank of fuel (return empty), CDW (or someink) collision waiver (extra in most main agents advertised prices).

Oh and remember, in the US, 'compact' = large, 'intermediate' = takes you a week to walk to the rear doors, and 'full size' = book a round the world ticket to get to the boot.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: US car hire etc
May 30, 2007, 08:23:00 am
I have had carhire3000 recommended to me as they have excellent insurance cover, including wheels, tyres, windscreens etc which are not covered under a standard CDW. A bit more than holidayautos & all the "search" sites.

Also if you book a compact, they might offer you a cheap upgrade when you collect the car. Don't take it, as this often means they have no compacts available and are obliged to give you a free upgrade, but are trying to stiff you for some money for it.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#3 Re: US car hire etc
May 30, 2007, 10:40:29 am
Also if you book a compact, they might offer you a cheap upgrade when you collect the car. Don't take it, as this often means they have no compacts available and are obliged to give you a free upgrade, but are trying to stiff you for some money for it.
  :agree: We have benefited from this, it happens pretty often. It appears that most don't tend to keep many spare 'compacts' as nobody except us cheapskate Brits tend to book them!  ;)  We turned up at LA airport late, got the bus to the big depot and there were probably 200 cars all with their keys in, we were told to 'pick a compact from row X', except there weren't any compacts in row X, so ended up with a monster. To be honest you could have picked any size, they were pretty laid back about it all.

cofe

• forum hero
#4 Re: US car hire etc
May 30, 2007, 10:53:10 am
cheers for the info. have been toying with the idea of going balls deep and getting a soft top.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#5 Re: US car hire etc
May 30, 2007, 11:09:27 am
Go for it, it is your Honeymoon! We destroyed a small rainforest by renting a plush 4x4 on the Canadian bit of our H-moon, pretty pleased about our choice when the Canadian version of the A1 turned into a muddy gravel track for 150km. Thinking about it you'll be cruising up the '1' so it's state law that you have to have a convertible...or a couple of Harley's.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#6 Re: US car hire etc
May 30, 2007, 11:16:40 am
If you are thinking of staying in Santa Barbara we might be able to swing a special rate at Mrs Obi's uncle's pad  ;D

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#7 Re: US car hire etc
May 30, 2007, 11:21:47 am
Just be careful about putting your foot down on the '1'. Its heavily patrolled. I got done by an unmarked copper.

If you do get pulled over, don't do what i did and try and get out of your car like back home   :oops: :spank:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#8 Re: US car hire etc
May 30, 2007, 12:16:26 pm
nigella and myself both got cdw over here, for £100 we are insured on any hire car anywhere, except britain, for 12 mths. this was a good deal since we were away a while. local cdw costs a lot of money. the stories about free upgrades just aren't true at all. whilst free upgrades are all the rage in europe they are not in the states, certainly not in texas.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#9 Re: US car hire etc
May 30, 2007, 12:20:22 pm
the stories about free upgrades just aren't true at all. whilst free upgrades are all the rage in europe they are not in the states, certainly not in texas.

So it was all a dream? And when I woke up Bobby was getting out the shower?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#10 Re: US car hire etc
May 30, 2007, 12:49:50 pm
the stories about free upgrades just aren't true at all. whilst free upgrades are all the rage in europe they are not in the states, certainly not in texas.
Sensibly Cofe has not chosen Texas for his Honeymoon.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#11 Re: US car hire etc
May 30, 2007, 02:23:14 pm
cofe,
youre asking stuff for:
- tokyo
- australia
- usa

in italy we would say: "non me la conti giusta" whose translation would more or less be "cofe i think youre going on big big holidays and climbing travels, and im a bit envious cos i still havent found a job and all i can pay for now is a birtat kebab after the tuesday night gym session trip to florence".
internet automatic translations are the shiz these days uh?

Stubbs

#12 Re: US car hire etc
May 30, 2007, 02:54:07 pm

We got one in SF last year, and just about every other time I've been over there. Everyone wants the cheapest cars, so they always run out of those first.   I don't think you can extrapolate from Texas to the rest of the states....

cofe

• forum hero
#13 Re: US car hire etc
May 30, 2007, 03:57:59 pm
cofe,
youre asking stuff for:
- tokyo
- australia
- usa

in italy we would say: "non me la conti giusta" whose translation would more or less be "cofe i think youre going on big big holidays and climbing travels, and im a bit envious cos i still havent found a job and all i can pay for now is a birtat kebab after the tuesday night gym session trip to florence".
internet automatic translations are the shiz these days uh?

i haven't asked for scuba diving knowledge for Fiji yet...

in sheffield i say "sono molto bello"  (it's the only italian I know ;))

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#14 Re: US car hire etc
May 31, 2007, 01:32:57 pm
Google have been busy again...

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/index.html

You can check out 'Cisco before you head there.

Only in a few cities currently but still pretty impressive.

Interesting what you can see as well. ;)

cofe

• forum hero
#15 Re: US car hire etc
May 31, 2007, 01:46:54 pm
nice. we'll probably split time in states so we end up with a couple of days in san fran. before leaving LA i'm also keen to cruise through compton listening to will smith's magnum opus 'big willie style'

dave

#16 Re: US car hire etc
May 31, 2007, 01:50:24 pm
you should take the opportunity to hire a six-deuce impala and pimp hoes from texas to guatemala.

you may need to specify whitewall tires and hydraulics when you book. don't forget to take "Still D.R.E." on cd.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#17 Re: US car hire etc
May 31, 2007, 02:11:50 pm
i'm also keen to cruise through compton listening to will smith's magnum opus 'big willie style'
just don't do it at midnight like we unintentionally did...

Mrs Obi [Navigating] 'Oh we should have taken that last exit, buts it ok we can take the next one and turn around...'
Obi: 'What the next one that says 'Compton, white folk in McHire cars enter at your own risk!'

cofe

• forum hero
#18 Re: US car hire etc
May 31, 2007, 02:28:13 pm
i'm also keen to cruise through compton listening to will smith's magnum opus 'big willie style'
just don't do it at midnight like we unintentionally did...

you own big willie style by will smith?  ;D

SA Chris

• forum hero
#19 Re: US car hire etc
May 31, 2007, 02:50:38 pm
Doesn't everyone?

Nigel

• forum hero
#20 Re: US car hire etc
May 31, 2007, 03:33:45 pm
Like Lee said. Get yourself on insurance4carhire.com (I think) and get the worldwide cover for a hundred weight. You need insurance in the States and if you have to buy it off the hire car men it will double your price at the very least. I must have saved meself bout £500 this way, and was covered for more stuff.

Something else worth trying is looking up discount codes for the big companies like Avis and Enterprise. You can find them on the internet for nowt. They are no's given to sister companies or handed out as vouchers in supermarkets which give you money off, bout 10% usually. Just pick a load of no's and try them in the quote thing on the website to see whether they work and which gives you the most off. If you do end up using one be wise, use like a generic "Wal-Mart customer" one rather than saying you are President of Avis.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal