UKBouldering.com

Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access (Read 24206 times)

b3n99

• stalker
#50 Re: Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access
January 12, 2013, 06:22:09 pm
Had a session at Rowtor about a week ago with three of us on domes for a good couple of hours, we were careful to keep it quiet but had no bother at all, hope things have calmed down.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#51 Re: Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access
January 12, 2013, 07:15:13 pm
I was hoping they had but it may be due to a change of tactics.

There has been a change of landlord at The Druid; please DO NOT park at the pub. There is a small layby on the bend by the pub, or find a spot in the village.

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#52 Re: Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access
January 13, 2013, 11:21:24 am
Had a chat to the landlord of the pub last time we were there and he seemed pretty psyched and interested about climbers at Rowtor, and not negative at all, he was well good value!

Defo worth popping in for a pint after your session, although take yer muddy shoes off as it's quite suave, in a good way though!

Paul B

• forum hero
#53 Re: Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access
January 13, 2013, 07:11:54 pm
was he rather a rather colourful fellow?

Last time we went to Rowtor I popped in and his card machine wasn't working. He suggested we just ate/drank etc. and dropped him a cheque for the bill. I was pretty surprised by this offer but he claimed to have done it about 30 times and only had one person take the p*ss.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#54 Re: Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access
January 13, 2013, 07:36:09 pm
The Druid's is shut down. I talked to a local a few weeks ago who seemed to think the owner was going to get permission to convert to accommodation - a small hotel IIRC.  :(

cofe

• forum hero
#55 Re: Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access
January 13, 2013, 07:43:35 pm
The BMC have been in touch with the National Park and the landowner (A Mr Thornhill of Stanton Estates) and clarified things.

Proposal: Proposed alterations to Public House and conversion of restaurant building to lettable rooms.
Applicant Name: Mr A Davie-Thornhill, Applicant Address: Stanton Estates...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#56 Re: Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access
January 19, 2013, 07:50:37 pm
Just had some more info: the BMC met with the Peak Park and interested parties last week.

Access is fine for the time being, provided good behaviour continues. Big groups and noise are the main problem, so please avoid these, particularly on the side near the houses, i.e. around Short Sean's, Domes, My Apple etc.

I'm not convinced climbers are responsible for the fire pits and litter etc, but please pick up any litter, and if you see anyone up there making a mess let them know its not acceptable. As above, park considerately, NOT in the pub car park. If it looks buy go elsewhere.

In the next few months the BMC are looking at providing some funds and volunteers to help repair paths and improve signage. PM me or come along to an area meet if you're keen to get involved.

Also heard a rumour that the new landlord was previously at the Red Lion at Litton - can't argue with that pedigree!

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#57 Re: Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access
January 25, 2013, 05:39:17 pm
From the BMC site
This causes alarm to her chickens and disturbs their laying. The resident was further aggrieved by comments she had read on climbing web sites regarding her chickens.

Me
Not sure UKB was the culprit here as I haven't compared comments made on the other side, but it does seem that we have a responsibility to be fair and understanding without any 'below the belt' comments when it comes to access, not only in person, but in our postings too.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#58 Re: Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access
January 06, 2014, 04:59:49 pm
The chicken lady has complained again following a protracted session over the Christmas period 'admittedly only a few but they climbed all day on the same rocks'. Apparently a tree has come down making the area (presumably Short Sean's - Domes) more visible. This might have been let go had a lantern session not ensued...

So for the avoidance of doubt - try to limit time spent in any one area, and NO LANTERNS, at least in that area.

theemoominhunter

• regular
#59 Re: Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access
January 11, 2014, 10:24:51 pm
i was there quite a bit over xmas (on the good days) nothing to report  was in short seans area for quite a while as well 

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#60 Re: Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access
February 02, 2015, 09:52:34 am
Rowtor is obviously very busy at the mo with the weather. The chicken lady is very upset about the numbers climbing in the Short Sean's area. I guess this may be due to different groups moving in and out but the impression is of large groups camped out all day.

I've been told she is exploring options to shut down climbing in this area completely so please keep sessions short (15mins max?), discuss it with anyone else you meet and keep quiet and polite.

Climbing elsewhere on the tor isn't a problem, as the climbing is well out of sight and sound of the chicken pen and owner's house.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#61 Re: Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access
February 02, 2015, 07:16:06 pm
Just had some more info: the BMC met with the Peak Park and interested parties last week.

Access is fine for the time being, provided good behaviour continues. Big groups and noise are the main problem, so please avoid these, particularly on the side near the houses, i.e. around Short Sean's, Domes, My Apple etc.

I'm not convinced climbers are responsible for the fire pits and litter etc, but please pick up any litter, and if you see anyone up there making a mess let them know its not acceptable. As above, park considerately, NOT in the pub car park. If it looks buy go elsewhere.

In the next few months the BMC are looking at providing some funds and volunteers to help repair paths and improve signage. PM me or come along to an area meet if you're keen to get involved.

Also heard a rumour that the new landlord was previously at the Red Lion at Litton - can't argue with that pedigree!

The Landlord of the Red Lion died a while back didn't he?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#62 Re: Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access
February 02, 2015, 07:34:11 pm
I'm not sure, supposedly there was some link. All you need to know is that the Druid burger is well worth the journey and a great end to any Rowtor session.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal