UKBouldering.com

Bouldering in Malta (Read 6124 times)

Miniowls

Bouldering in Malta
April 25, 2007, 03:11:06 pm
Does anyone know anything about bouldering in Malta, a quick search of internet has revealed very little. Has anyone been over there?
Cheers

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1 Re: Bouldering in Malta
May 03, 2007, 08:42:52 pm
I've bouldered in Malta.  Or rather, I've spent 10 days trying to boulder in Malta.  All the rock I touched inland was fucked from the sun.  Rather powdery.  Weird place.  I'd go back, but only to get pissed and lounge.  The cliffs there are ridiculous...

Miniowls

#2 Re: Bouldering in Malta
May 04, 2007, 03:23:25 pm
Cheers I might give it a miss then and concentrate on the beer javascript:void(0);
beer 2

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#3 Re: Bouldering in Malta
May 05, 2007, 02:14:43 pm
There is good bouldering on the coast - I've seen pix - fantastic aretes; I didn't find any of it. 

I wonder if The Blue Lagoon area of Gozo is a DWS mecca, but secret.  Anyone been to the lagoon?

stevie haston

• player
#4 Re: Bouldering in Malta
May 05, 2007, 04:59:12 pm
Hello boulderers, in the spirit of sharing, I'll let you into a secret, Malta has some very good bouldering. I have just spent 5 weeks there and although mainly climbing I did a bit of pulling on small stones. In particular I rediscovered an area on Gozo which is comparable with any bouldering venue I have been to in the world. You will have to take mats and a team of four would be good as spotting and cleaning could be difficult or exhausting. The rock is clean fantastic limestone with interesting holds, some on aragonite crystal and goes from vertical to very steep. To access go thru the village of Nadur to San Blas inlet and walk right to thousands of problems. There are two routes on a steep boulder about seventy feet high called Stanley and Tereza which are three stars E5 and E6 ish on crystal. Gozo is the more scenic island with better swiming, climbing, etc. I cleaned a nice traverse at the sport cliff which is always dry, enjoy , Stevie.   

Miniowls

#5 Re: Bouldering in Malta
May 07, 2007, 07:19:02 pm
Cheers Stevie Will check it out

stevie haston

• player
#6 Re: Bouldering in Malta
May 11, 2007, 07:59:41 am
Got an E.mail from Slide, hello and nice to be reminded about snowboarding. Concerning your question about Malta guide book, I dont know when its out. One of the guys concerned in it was, jeffcam@waldonet.net.mt, but he did tell me they had opened a very good sport cliff on the main island (Malta itself) said it was very high quality. If that flat was at St Pauls bay you might have great bouldering close by south of the ferry terminal, tons of stuff. Anyway very good snorkling there for octopus. Jeff is a good guy and a good climber ask him, and ask him about bolts and a bolt gun. Good luck, Stevie. 

Slide

• addict
#7 Re: Bouldering in Malta
May 11, 2007, 12:19:41 pm
Much appreciated Stevie.  Shall email Jeff to see if i can prize some info out of him before i go next week. Cheers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal