UKBouldering.com

Headphone recomendations (Read 3066 times)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Headphone recomendations
March 24, 2007, 05:18:11 pm
I'm looking at getting some lightweight over the ear head phones for general use. I always seemed to remember people banging on about sennheisers being the best, is this still the case and can anyone recomend a good pair?
Cheers

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#1 Re: Headphone recomendations
March 24, 2007, 05:31:35 pm
I think Sennheisers are supposed to be good.  However you're not a shy and retiring type.  Surely with routes so firmly embedde in East Coast Hip Hop a ghetto blaster would be more suited to your needs.

Get it a little drysuit and you could even tow it behind a canoe. Learn those little fishes a thing or two about psyche music.

Atlantic Ocean's Waterfall would be apt for both your sea kayaking, and your white water rafting.  Bonus.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Headphone recomendations
March 24, 2007, 07:31:12 pm
Sennheiser make nice kit. I DJed for years with one set of very trusty Sennheisers and they never let me down. All individual parts were replaceable but i never really needed to replace anything.

For ipod use, i use Shure in ear thingys which are great providing you can get a good fit using one of the many supplied adaptors.

Not sure about over the ear types but I think if you go for a class leading brand and choose some that fit your particular lugholes snugly then you will probably be ok.

squeek

• junky
#3 Re: Headphone recomendations
March 25, 2007, 11:19:33 am
I use Koss porta pros when I used to listen to listen to my mp3 player a lot and thought they were very good.  They are over the head types, but fold up quite small, and they might be hard to get hold of.  Makes such a big difference to listening to music, going from crappy headphones to a decent pair.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Headphone recomendations
March 26, 2007, 07:17:39 pm
I had some Sennheiser ones and really rated them. Comfy light and good sound. Left the bloody things on the plane.

Tried friend's Koss ones recently. Really impressed.

chappers

• forum hero
#5 Re: Headphone recomendations
March 28, 2007, 09:39:16 pm
I'm looking at getting some lightweight over the ear head phones for general use. I always seemed to remember people banging on about sennheisers being the best, is this still the case and can anyone recomend a good pair?
Cheers

sennheiser px200 are fricking amazing, and they fold down into a handy case about the size of a glasses case.
amazing bass on them, equal to my way more expensive bose jobs.

eeeeebay!!!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#6 Re: Headphone recomendations
March 28, 2007, 09:55:09 pm
thanks chappers, they look like just what I need

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#7 Re: Headphone recomendations
March 29, 2007, 11:46:27 am
My sennheiser px200's broke after around 6 months.  Good sound but I found the closed-cup design a bit odd for my ears - sound exclusion was quite tricky and unreliable.   

Currently using a pair of folding AKG headphones (K26P) - not quite so light as the Sennheisers, but they fit far better (seal around the ears easier and exclude more noise than the PX200s), have a meatier sound (more bass), and have lasted a lot longer.  A quite good guide to what's around is at:

http://www.headphone.com/guide/

AKG K26P
http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-headphone-type/sealed-noise-canceling-type/akg-k-26-p.php

Sennheisers
http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-headphone-type/sealed-noise-canceling-type/sennheiser-pmx-200.php

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#8 Re: Headphone recomendations
March 29, 2007, 12:00:03 pm
grado sr-60

no contest

John Cooke

• menacing presence
#9 Re: Headphone recomendations
March 29, 2007, 01:07:32 pm
I've a pair of Seinheisser in-ear jobbies and fecking rate them for the price. Originally it was a toss up  :wank: between the Shure EC3's and the Etymotic ER6's, both are supposed to be rad but poverty prevented the purchase. On the headphone front Grado's as the soaps says are well good. Ultimately Jimbo it depends on the tunes you listen to as well and your source. No point forking out on mint phones if your tunes are still being played on that old school portable cassette player of yours.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#10 Re: Headphone recomendations
March 30, 2007, 10:47:38 pm
I hope you haven't dropped notes on something inferior yet.

Cuban and Bubba speak sense. Soapy is confused. The rest use inferior headphones.

I've had Grado SR60's then SR80's. I've had Etymotic ER6i's and Shure E3c's. I've also used Etymotic ER4p's. Grado's are great for home listening in quiet environments since they are open back, so don't expect to wear them around town. I tried and it was ridiculous. I think the Etymotic's are better than the equivalent Shure's but this is probably personal preference due to fit. I think the ER6i's do the job well but the ER4p's are better if you can afford it. Another brand worth considering and getting very very good reviews are Ultimate Ears. The 5 pro model are worth a look and I'm looking to get a pair next.

Although you're probably not this serious, you could look at the possibility of a portable headphone amp if you want really good sound partnered with really good headphones.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal