UKBouldering.com

Best route to Font? (Read 2940 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Best route to Font?
February 09, 2007, 09:26:00 am
Driving to Font tomorrow, whats the concensus on the best route? We normally try and avoid the Paris ring road after tales of nightmare traffic, but last time we did a detour round CDG and ended up going down the A104/N104 which looks direct on the map but in practice seemed a bit slow. Our gite is just off the A6 so tempted to get straight on that in Paris.  We would be hitting the ring road saturday mid-afternoon. Any advice?

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#1 Re: Best route to Font?
February 09, 2007, 09:32:33 am
from calais,  i always get on the A104/N104 and get off it onto the A6, and stay on the A6 until jct 13 to get off near milly (obviously depends where you're staying)

(junction 13 is the last junction before the A6 becomes a peage) - the N104 (vous etes sur la francilienne) does get busy at rush hour - but then so do all the routes round paris - this is the way that takes you under the runway bridges of charles de gaulle airport.

going there - following signs for marne la vallee and lyon get you there - coming home follow the signs for lille til you see signs for calais

i always go the same way now - cos i know it (so i may be stuck in a rut)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Best route to Font?
February 09, 2007, 09:35:23 am
After spending hours travelling or hurtling round the Paris ring road the way I tend to go is cutting round East of Paris.  There's a road that goes Senlis/Meaux/Melun I think that is fairly direct and fairly quick.  I haven't got a map in front of me so apologies for being a bit vague.
Like any travelling I think it's a case of suck it and see.  I seem to have a guardian farmer who follows the same route as me wherever I go.  Except in front of me.  At 10mph.  With some caravans........   >:(

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Best route to Font?
February 09, 2007, 09:41:12 am
If the guardian farmer is always just in front of you, you just need to set off 30 seconds earlier everytime you go somewhere. Happy to help.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: Best route to Font?
February 09, 2007, 09:53:18 am
If the guardian farmer is always just in front of you, you just need to set off 30 seconds earlier everytime you go somewhere. Happy to help.

Why didn't I think of that?!?!?!!? :o

Duma

• forum hero
#5 Re: Best route to Font?
February 09, 2007, 11:09:13 am
I've always had nightmares when trying to avoid the BP - have now got bored of getting lost/stuck in traffic, and given up and just go round on the perepherique - it's never been that bad in my experience - just be aggressive and hold your nerve.
as far as approach - I generally come via speed ferries/Boulogne/A16(?)/BP/A6. works out 3-4 hours and saves you a few euros on the peage.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#6 Re: Best route to Font?
February 09, 2007, 11:33:13 am
Went round the Peripherique in rush hour when I had my Subaru  :-[ and it was a great experience, very adrenaline filled.
The second time was in the ex's Volvo 740 and I shat meself  :oops:
Like Duma says, the Periph is probably as quick as long as you don't hit a jam, don't miss your exit and remember your spare pants.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#7 Re: Best route to Font?
February 09, 2007, 03:35:50 pm
...just be aggressive and hold your nerve.

...and it really helps to be in a rental car!

One year when driving from Calais we tried the "east round Paris" thing too - took a long time, got lost and missed a day's climbing.

Nowadays, I always do CDG - BP (think it's Place De Chapelle) - A6 (either Place De Vilette or Place De L'Italie, think it's the first one). Like Duma says, a few euros to get your foot down prolly worth it - the N7 out of Paris takes ages.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal