UKBouldering.com

This forum engine - Simple Machines (Read 1461 times)

mowern

• regular
This forum engine - Simple Machines
January 18, 2007, 10:31:47 am
I want to set up a forum similar to this one (don't worry, totally different subject). I have had a quick look at the Simple Machines website where it says you can download the software to build such a forum. What I don't quite understand is: When you download the software does that mean or assume that you will be hosting the website (with forum) yourself, or do you build the forum on a local machine using their software and then upload the built forum to a 3rd party web host. Also, will all web hosts have the correct software running to enable such a forum to work.
Apologies if this sounds like a really dumb question, I am just confused how the whole thing works. Do you also need to be running MySQL as well, locally or on the web host???? Can anyone explain in laymans terms how the whole process of setting up such a thing works.
Cheers
Mo

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#1 Re: This forum engine - Simple Machines
January 18, 2007, 09:37:24 pm
Unless you really know what you are doing and you have the right hardware and internet connections, I wouldnt entertain hosting the site yourself - and as you asking this question I would guess not. You will generaly customise the forum on your own machine and then upload it to the host.

Most hosts will offer different packages that come bundled with different technologies - so if if you need MySql just shop around for one which comes bundled with that. Theyre not expensive for an entry level package - you will of course need to provide them with the domain name which you have registered (if you dont have one they can probably sort that out too)

Have a search on google for "web host reviews" and youll find that there are plenty. Theres also lots of other forums out there too - Ive used one called "Community Server" which is pretty easy. It cost a little more to host as it need .net2.0 and sql2005 but it does have the advantage of being built from web parts which meens  you can just log into the website and edit the content directly without having to re-upload anything

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: This forum engine - Simple Machines
January 19, 2007, 01:21:43 am

You will also find many hosts that offer pre-installed forum software, though not sure how many would run SMF, more likely to be phpBB.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#3 Re: This forum engine - Simple Machines
January 25, 2007, 07:55:26 am
I have hosted stuff myself in the past and you shouldnt really entertain the notion unless you have something along the lines of a T1 (fractional or full). DSL connections are patchy and too slow upstream at best. Fine to xfer files between one another, but not suitable for webhosting.

As mentioned, some hosting providers offer scripted deployment of popular forum software. This means you buy some webspace, log into the admin tool and then click on 'Install a forum' link. Mine is hosted with erm, actually, I cant remember. Sure they are about to send an invoice. I-hosting or something? No time to go searching for it at the moment. Sorry.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal