• junky
#50 Re: Eagle Tor Access
January 23, 2007, 12:48:54 am
Have you walked through the pentangle corridor rock chasam.... though.com

Steamboat Stello

• menacing presence
#51 Re: Eagle Tor Access
January 23, 2007, 03:32:21 pm
Any updates on access cos I was plannin a possible trip to Eagle Tor this week? Maybe I'll just hold off for a while and see how things are in a few months. Anyone been there very recently?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#52 Re: Eagle Tor Access
January 23, 2007, 05:45:06 pm
Just go. There are plenty of alternatives nearby if you get turfed off. Just avoid shouting while you're there and be polite to anyone you meet.

cofe

• forum hero
#53 Re: Eagle Tor Access
February 23, 2007, 11:17:30 pm

Idol eyes

• junky
#54 Re: Eagle Tor Access
February 24, 2007, 07:33:17 am
Oh dear...

Jacqusie

• stalker
#55 Re: Eagle Tor Access
February 26, 2007, 10:14:00 pm
We are currently trying to get in touch with the owners.  Watch this space....

Si

Idol eyes

• junky
#56 Re: Eagle Tor Access
February 27, 2007, 07:21:28 am
Think  the name you need to get is Sarah, the area National Trust rep, she rents the field that you have to walk through to access the Tor. Sarah would act as a great mediator, she lives behind the church in Bakewell, will try to contact her....

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#57 Re: Eagle Tor Access
February 27, 2007, 10:38:47 am
Was up at Eagle again yesterday, no problems. Approaching from the Cratcliffe side there were no problems other than the mud, no signs and no sign of the fence being beefed up. Apparently there are a couple of small 'Private' signs round the other side but I didn't see 'em. Looks like a low key attempt to discourage access rather than a full blown attempt to prevent it.

I think a voluntary small groups/ keep quiet policy should work fine here.

lowlife

• regular
#58 Re: Eagle Tor Access
February 27, 2007, 11:46:21 am
"I think a voluntary small groups/ keep quiet policy should work fine here."

A policy that should be adopted for every venue.  I propose a new road sign ..."Welcome to the Peak District - Now shut the fuck up and show some respect"

:)

StuM

• regular
    • stuart mcneil photography
#59 Re: Eagle Tor Access
February 27, 2007, 04:06:51 pm
from http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=216519&v=1

" by - Rachael on - 14:51 Tue - pppoe2.zycomm.uk.net
In reply to Simon:
I live at Rocking Stone Farm, in the farmhouse below. We moved there with our 2 young children just over a year ago, although I did actually grow up there. It was me that asked you not climb on our rocks anymore and to advise everyone you know to that effect.

I am very sorry, but hope you can appreciate our position. The rocks are private property and our children play there. We have had instances of climbers coming and defecating behind a tree not far from the house, they even brought their own loo roll! We do not feel comfortable about our children playing up there with so many strangers wandering about.

If the BMC access reps have any questions I would be happy to speak to them. "

This must be who myself and Riceboy met last November and its the same message she gave to us. Doesn't sound very promising.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 04:16:08 pm by StuM »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#60 Re: Eagle Tor Access
February 27, 2007, 05:18:26 pm
Glad you've posted that here, I was keen to reply but restrained myself until the pro mediators get on the case.

I think it seems quite promising personally. She sounds reasonable, if new to the situation. Her kids have a large and very beautiful garden to play in before they have to go messing in the woods. The garden is surrounded by a footpath though, she may be scared of strangers staring...

NO body should be shitting up here though. Its hardly remote.

Idol eyes

• junky
#61 Re: Eagle Tor Access
February 27, 2007, 07:34:28 pm
Maybe she should be informed that "The King" actually owns that large piece of rock in the middle of her garden...
Dana Awen, maybe it will never see a repeat.

Nigel

• forum hero
#62 Re: Eagle Tor Access
February 27, 2007, 09:11:32 pm
Off topic, but I thought Honneymonster had done it? Doylo/Huffy may know for sure.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#63 Re: Eagle Tor Access
February 27, 2007, 10:09:35 pm
Dan has done it, perhaps someone else too... I couldn't be sure.

Idol eyes

• junky
#64 Re: Eagle Tor Access
February 28, 2007, 12:59:57 pm
Think thats a no no, still un repeated, unless its been done this season, someone mentioned a guy called Ross, I am keen to find out, the guys getting a slab of beer...

Idol eyes

• junky
#65 Re: Eagle Tor Access
February 28, 2007, 01:01:22 pm
Off topic, but I thought Honneymonster had done it? Doylo/Huffy may know for sure.

Are you sure!

Nigel

• forum hero
#66 Re: Eagle Tor Access
February 28, 2007, 01:32:55 pm
No I'm not sure I'm afraid, but if/when he returns to Sheff you could ask him. All I know for sure is that he was definately trying it at one point and had top-roped it. I do also have a vague memory of him saying he'd done it but I could be very wrong about that. The fact that he tried it probably means he did do it, it usually does!

Ross has done everything else in the world, so that wouldn't surprise me either.

Idol eyes

• junky
#67 Re: Eagle Tor Access
February 28, 2007, 03:27:28 pm
Think it was mentioned that he did it ground up! really would like to know, Doylo has said Honeyman has not led it, also it has been out of condition for the last 3 years, and it needs to be clean.

pigeon

• regular
#68 Re: Eagle Tor Access
March 02, 2007, 12:12:11 pm
Hi

Guy can't work out how to login, but he'd like to say:

Access withdrawn at Eagle Tor

The landowners of this excellent Peak bouldering crag have unfortunately stated to the BMC they are currently not willing to allow access, and intend to install fencing around the rocks.

The owners are decent people with a young family and appreciate the quality of the crag. However, the bottom line is large numbers of visitors, damaged fencing, defecation near the house, toilet paper and noise have justifiably eroded their patience.

The boulders are located on private land (effectively their back garden) and the owners are within their rights to eject you.

The BMC advises climbers to avoid Eagle Tor at present.

- Guy Keating, BMC Access and Conservation Officer.

BenF

• forum hero
#69 Re: Eagle Tor Access
March 02, 2007, 12:29:13 pm
Bugger.

At least that's a few things removed from my ticklist, but not removed in quite the way I would have hoped to have removed them.  Thanks to BMC for the efforts so far and good luck with any further negotiations.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#70 Re: Eagle Tor Access
March 02, 2007, 12:47:44 pm

cofe

• forum hero
#71 Re: Eagle Tor Access
March 02, 2007, 01:14:31 pm
obviously disappointing.

Does the BMC intend to maintain dialogue with the owners in the future, with access to the crag a priority?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#72 Re: Eagle Tor Access
March 02, 2007, 01:38:10 pm
All the more disappointing that folk shit at the crag when there is a public toilet nearby in Birchover

BenF

• forum hero
#73 Re: Eagle Tor Access
March 02, 2007, 01:57:32 pm
Yeah, the shitting at the crag issue keeps coming up.  We complain about the state of Font, but then our crags are hardly better in places.  There is no need in this case and certainly no need to shit in such obvious places, in view of a house or garden.

Personally, I find it disappointing that the owner wants to stop access in part because they don't like the thought of strangers up in the woods near their children.  Obviously, as landowner it's their right to do so, but it is a shame that people feel the need to think that way these days.  There's strange people all over the place and probably many stranger than those who frequent Eagle Tor.  I'd say (with an obvious vested interest and not meaning any bitterness to the landowner) that public access to woods/rocks/countryside is more important than giving a landowner's children a stranger-free area to play in.  We'd all like a deserted wood to play in or to let our children play in, but it just ain't feasible in our tiny island. 

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#74 Re: Eagle Tor Access
March 02, 2007, 07:00:48 pm
 :(

Having always approached from the Cratcliffe lower parking, I didn't really know there was a farm nearby! It never seemed like a back-garden to me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal