UKBouldering.com

South Eastern US of A (Read 4671 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
South Eastern US of A
December 05, 2006, 07:59:40 am
Was idly paging through an old OTE with Percy's (?) article about bouldering in Carolina etc and was thinking about a trip. Anyone been? I always find it hard to judge distances in the US, it's all so big. So, has anyone combined the bouldering with the sport climbing at, I think, New River and Red River Gorges? Also, how far is it to the coast, and does anyone know if it's any good for surfing? Logically it should be, but it might be really shallow water or something. Thinking about autumn time. Year after next. Ta people.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1 Re: South Eastern US of A
May 14, 2007, 09:30:32 am
Bump.

Looking at Rate of Exchange, might be trying this trip this Autumn. Any info appreaciated.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2 Re: South Eastern US of A
May 14, 2007, 10:36:28 am
Chris - FBSF has been climbing in Tenessee if I recall & there are a few old Sherman articles in which Blunk makes a star appearance...  I think theres a lot of climbing in the SE but a lot is on private land.

Surfing wise, September is the primo season for surfing the East Coast.  The Carolina states and those further North are all exposed to the same low pressure systems that we benefit from during the Autumn and the pattern of swells are similar too.  A few days of clean swell, then onshore for a couple of days and then the winds swing offshore again.  Hurricanes are both a blessing and a curse.... 

I have a mate from the area who now lives in New Jersey but I could drop him a mail on your behalf. I think the North America Stormrider has got some good info.

Ben

SA Chris

• forum hero
#3 Re: South Eastern US of A
May 14, 2007, 11:13:15 am
Any info would be good. Cheers Ben. I looked at Stormriders World Vol 1, but it doesn't have much, might have to get the US one.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#4 Re: South Eastern US of A
May 14, 2007, 11:48:19 am
i went with fbsf. i had death flu and couldn't walk more than 50 yards. i still thought it was toss. a very, very poor mans font. i know fatboy liked it, so did percy, so did klem. i couldn't sleep at night if i gave it a good recommendation

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: South Eastern US of A
May 15, 2007, 09:48:48 am
That's hardly a surprise response. What places did you go to, and why did you think it was shit?

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#6 Re: South Eastern US of A
May 15, 2007, 12:53:19 pm
That's hardly a surprise response
  ;D
I think this is where me and dense differ. Ive been twice and had a great time on both occasions. Areas are not huge but I thought quality. Will post some photos tonight. all those areas are reachable in bout a half day drive from atlanta. Only draw back is what part of autumn you go, cos can be a bit sticky up to november i think. Fairly dry though.
Little Rock City(bout half an hour from Tennesse) has the best problem Ive ever done of that grade in the states

Places to go, HP40, Rocktown, Little Rock City, Boone for bouldering
Loads of sport climbing around these areas as well as the ones you have already mentioned, loads of trad climbing on bullet hard sandstone........

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Re: South Eastern US of A
May 16, 2007, 08:38:48 am
Cheers FatBoyBuckfast, looks good. we will likely go end Sept / early Oct. Probably not ideal for mint conditions for bouldering, but don't want it too cold for doing routes and/or surfing. Is Atlanta the best / cheapest place to fly in to?

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#8 Re: South Eastern US of A
May 16, 2007, 05:47:40 pm
For the climbing yes! Its only 5 hrs time difference as well so jet lag aint too horrendous. Let me know when your going and i might be able to get a local to show you round and also possibly show you some of the fleshpots :alky:

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#9 Re: South Eastern US of A
May 17, 2007, 09:17:42 am
If Dense says its shit, you should definately go. I thought it was awesome - for me prefereable to a lot of other places that folk rave about in the states. Better problem-quality-wise than anywhere in Bishop for example (although the landscape isn't anywhere near as beautiful as the Buttermilks..)
As FBSF mentions, we both know the locals, so if you're going we'll see if Eric and Luis are still alive to give you the tour! Best get your partying skills up to speed though - those boys know how to get fucked up   :beer1: :beer2: :pissed: :dance1:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#10 Re: South Eastern US of A
May 17, 2007, 09:50:44 am
Cheers people, sounds good. Percy what issue of OTE was your article in? I was trying to find it last night. Was there an article in Friction too?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#11 Re: South Eastern US of A
May 17, 2007, 01:39:09 pm
Dunno which one... I'll have a look tonight and see if I can root it out...

a dense loner

• forum hero
#12 Re: South Eastern US of A
May 18, 2007, 10:56:26 am
If Dense says its shit, you should definately go

this is probably very true ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal