UKBouldering.com

Macs Rock (Read 6891 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Macs Rock
November 30, 2006, 01:29:16 pm
Sometimes my job sucks, but other times it rocks...

Like today when I got back from lunch to find 9 of these just delivered...

and one of these...

For me!

:dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1:

squeek

• junky
#1 Re: Macs Rock
November 30, 2006, 02:33:21 pm
Can I get the new Internet Explorer for it?

chappers

• forum hero
#2 Re: Macs Rock
December 01, 2006, 10:49:53 am
can you run the internet explorer on OSX?? like the office for mac thing that i have? that would be a treat, not keen on the safari that mine came with.

(woz)

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Macs Rock
December 01, 2006, 12:12:55 pm
Yep, IE works fine on OSX. Macs do indeed rock - we have a grand total of 6 at home (past and present)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#4 Re: Macs Rock
December 01, 2006, 01:21:23 pm
General question from a luddite retard regarding macs;

How do I find the properties of a picture, any picture, to I can hotlink stuff to UKB?  I'm not finding these machines as intuitive as they say...

Please be didactic in your response (I'm slow with computers).

(woz)

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Macs Rock
December 01, 2006, 01:42:52 pm
Sorry if this doesn't work, but I think it goes a little like this:

Hold the apple button down (bottom left of the keyboard) and click on the file/picture. This should have the same effect as right clicking on it on a standard PC. You might have to select 'get info' or something like that.
- If this doesn't work then try holding control down when you click

Unfortunately I'm not on a mac at the mo' so I can't check

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#6 Re: Macs Rock
December 01, 2006, 05:57:15 pm
Yep, IE works fine on OSX.

Microsoft stopped supporting IE on Macs a while back and have no plans on releasing IE7 (the most current version for Mac is about IE4!) so I wouldn't bother. Firefox2 is great on Macs, but I also like Safari.

Today I have mostly been installing WinXP on a Intel iMac G5 so it dual boots. Even though it feels and looks so WRONG, sadly windows runs amazingly well on a Mac, making the G5 iMacs proabably the best XP machines we have! Even the most techy Pro-PC guy on our team admits it is very cool, and is seriously considering replacing whole rooms of PC's with dual booting Mac's!

(woz)

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Macs Rock
December 03, 2006, 03:28:22 pm

Microsoft stopped supporting IE on Macs a while back and have no plans on releasing IE7 (the most current version for Mac is about IE4!) so I wouldn't bother.

Ah, didn't know that - I just assumed that because I have IE (must be an old version) that they all would work.

Even the most techy Pro-PC guy on our team admits it is very cool, and is seriously considering replacing whole rooms of PC's with dual booting Mac's!

PC's should be replaced by MAcs full stop :thumbsup:

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#8 Re: Macs Rock
December 03, 2006, 07:56:59 pm
macs are amazing, bit annoying that they keep on getting better and better so pretty much as soon as you buy one, they replace it with more features.

With a dual boot, if you get a virus from windows, will it mess up the whole computer, OSX an all? For me one the best things about macs is that there are no viruses/trojans e.t.c.

squeek

• junky
#9 Re: Macs Rock
December 04, 2006, 01:46:22 pm

What is the difference between a PC and a MAC?  If OSX was released as standalone software (which apple are trying to avoid so they can charge a more for the same hardware) then there wouldn't be any difference really.  PCs are just bits of hardware stuffed into a box, so are macs, but you pay extra so you can run OSX on it.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#10 Re: Macs Rock
December 04, 2006, 02:06:03 pm
but as OSX can only really be run on a mac then thats the main difference, and its the operating system that is (in most cases) the main attraction.

Apples just seem to me, and a lot of other users to be very intuitative to use and good to look at.

I don't know the inns and outs but there must be a significant difference between the way in which mac hardware works and the way MS hardware works, or you'd have had dual OS computers a long time ago? surely??  :-\

(woz)

• forum abuser
#11 Re: Macs Rock
December 04, 2006, 02:07:00 pm

What is the difference between a PC and a MAC?  If OSX was released as standalone software (which apple are trying to avoid so they can charge a more for the same hardware) then there wouldn't be any difference really.  PCs are just bits of hardware stuffed into a box, so are macs, but you pay extra so you can run OSX on it.

To be honest I really don't know anything about computers, and so can't answer your question. All I know is that macs make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I log on, and pcs don't, and if I have to pay extra for that feeling - then so be it.

squeek

• junky
#12 Re: Macs Rock
December 04, 2006, 03:02:52 pm
but as OSX can only really be run on a mac then thats the main difference, and its the operating system that is (in most cases) the main attraction.

Apples just seem to me, and a lot of other users to be very intuitative to use and good to look at.

I don't know the inns and outs but there must be a significant difference between the way in which mac hardware works and the way MS hardware works, or you'd have had dual OS computers a long time ago? surely??  :-\

There used to be a big difference as Mac/OSX was designed for PowerPCs and not Intel.  Now that OSX runs on Intel processors and the intel instruction set, there's no reason why it couldn't be run on a PC, apart from the fact that Apple don't want it to be.  They've tried their hardest to make sure that OSX doesn't get hacked so that you can run it on any old PC.  It's wouldn't look good for Apple if you could spend less money on PC hardware to run OSX faster than a more expensive mac.

I've used quite a few different OSes, Sindows in lots of various version, BeOS, Linux, OS2, but never used a mac.  Maybe because they have a monopoly on the hardware for it.  And probably because you can't play games on them the same as windows too.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#13 Re: Macs Rock
December 04, 2006, 05:47:42 pm
If your happy paying a premium for a brand name and some arty-farty design mumbo jumbo then get a mac.
otherwise the pc is king

(woz)

• forum abuser
#14 Re: Macs Rock
December 04, 2006, 08:36:15 pm
It's the same as anything really: Cars, Clothes, Climbing stuff, Houses, Girls - The cheap ones will do the job but the expensive ones look good while they are at it.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#15 Re: Macs Rock
December 04, 2006, 09:33:32 pm
I disagree, cheap house, cars, clothes etc... fall apart real quick and the general rule of you get what you pay for applies.

Now cheap girls on the other hand....
thats what I'm talking about

(unfortunately the wife has expensive tastes tho)

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#16 Re: Macs Rock
December 04, 2006, 10:31:17 pm
My mate shelled out loads for an Alienware PC at about the same time I bought my Mac, and paid more for it, without a monitor. I appreciate that Alienware PCs are really over priced but on paper the Mac is better for the same price, and I've never had any problems for it, and the workflow is ingenious, but it took me a while to work out what I'm doing (possibly more a function of my computer illiteracy than of a complicated system). But i guess its all a matter or personal opinion.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#17 Re: Macs Rock
December 04, 2006, 11:25:33 pm
yeah but can you build your own mac?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#18 Re: Macs Rock
December 05, 2006, 04:17:19 am

Its all to do with the processor architecture.  Intel's architehture is based around x86 and what most people would call a "PC" use Intel based processors, SGI use MIPS (or used to), Sun have used various including Intel, Motorolla, but more succesfully their own SPARC architecture (used to have an Ultra 10 for a bit, could never get it working  :( ).  For a long time Mac's have used their own PowerPC architecture, but have recently switched to Intel (for a more eloquent exposition see Wikipedia). The ability to dual boot a Mac with OSX/Windoze is a consequence of this shift, you couldn't dual-boot a PowerPC with XP 'cause the XP software won't recognise the processor architecture.

(Incidentley when I was commuting from Sheffield to Manchester last year I got to know a guy who was working for a company that had been contracted by Apple to port OSX to the Intel Chip.  Seemed to be being paid a shit load of money for the task as well).

squeek

• junky
#19 Re: Macs Rock
December 05, 2006, 11:19:19 am
Err, yeah I know I wrote a similar thing a few posts ago.  :)

I also know someone who was working on the mac conversion, but on allowing old mac software to run on intel hardware without converting and recompiling it.  Kind of on the fly machine code translation.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#20 Re: Macs Rock
December 06, 2006, 04:38:03 am
Err, yeah I know I wrote a similar thing a few posts ago.  :)

I also know someone who was working on the mac conversion, but on allowing old mac software to run on intel hardware without converting and recompiling it.  Kind of on the fly machine code translation.

:oops: Should have  :read: the rest of the thread.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal