UKBouldering.com

Good IT suppliers in Sheff (Read 3054 times)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Good IT suppliers in Sheff
October 18, 2006, 10:48:53 pm
We are after the following

A bare bones PC (but with wireless card for incremental update of membership database) to run membership database (Access)

A decent PC, wireless, need XP plus normal Microsoft package

Ok (ie £150-£200) B&W laser

A3 colour inkjet

Fax machine (not quite cheap as chips)

Copier (not quite cheap as chips)

Couple of decent size (250-400 Gb) USB hard drives

Anyone got any recommendations

Cheers
Graeme
www.climbingworks.com

squeek

• junky
#1 Re: Good IT suppliers in Sheff
October 18, 2006, 11:50:40 pm
Why does it have to be Sheffield?  With the PCs I suppose you could get support to take them back in, but with the other peripherals, printers, USB Hard drives, etc you just normally send them back to the manufacturer if they fail under warranty.

www.microdirect.co.uk
www.dabs.com
www.scan.co.uk

are sites I usually look at the computer bits and bats.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#2 Re: Good IT suppliers in Sheff
October 18, 2006, 11:54:13 pm
www.ebuyer.com will supply most of this cheaper than local suppliers. Compare Ebuyer with http://www.scan.co.uk/ for the best prices. I generally use Ebuyer but others swear by Scan.

What kind of volume do you think you will need from the printer/copier/fax?

You would save some dough (and desk space!) if you combine some of them. I would recommend spending a bit on a decent high volume B+W laser all in one fax/printer/copier then use the A3 for low volume A4/A3 posters/offers etc.

Something like this Canon is middle of the range, should be good for reasonable high volumes. Check for features like duplex/network card etc.
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/117417 You will want something like this on the network so anyone can use it.

In terms of A3, we have had the old version of this Canon http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/116581 for a couple of years. It does get through the ink but so do all decent inkjets. It does full bleed A3 which is great for posters. Under no circumstances consider a HP or Epson that still use 'tri-colour' cartridges instead of single inks. There is nothing more annoying that throwing away a cartridge that cost £50 and is still two thirds full! Our Canon uses 8 separate inks, but generally you'd only ever need to replace 2 or 3 cartridges on a big print run of say 20-30 A3 posters. (The carts are about £7 each)

With the external hard drive make sure they are both USB2 and Firewire, Firewire will come in useful at some stage.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 12:03:47 am by Obi-Wan is lost... »

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#3 Re: Good IT suppliers in Sheff
October 19, 2006, 12:27:29 am
USB2 def but I wouldnt worry too much about the Firewire. You'll no doubt have to pay more and its not as widely supported as USB2

As for the size Id go for about 300Gb - this is the sort of break even point for your Gb/pound. Any bigger than that and you start to pay over the odds

You can usually pick a cheap caddy and drive up from a computer fair -Im sure there'll be some round shef

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Good IT suppliers in Sheff
October 19, 2006, 12:30:18 am
Mac Solutions on west street are very good in my experience, one of the guys there (cockney geezer type especially so) give them a ring and see what they can do. Ill be suprised if they wont beat any quote you get.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#5 Re: Good IT suppliers in Sheff
October 19, 2006, 09:06:45 am
Something like this Canon is middle of the range, should be good for reasonable high volumes. Check for features like duplex/network card etc.
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/117417 You will want something like this on the network so anyone can use it.

Also consider this HP that is full colour laserjet multifunction
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06b/5043-5527-5531-5531-11599905-11599929-15499445.html
Colour laserjets are a bit more expensive to run as they have 4 big cartridges not 1, carts are about £60 each but are good for about 4000 average sheets. Again, we have a HP A4 colour laserjet printer similar to this but with out the multifunction bit. They are pretty reliable now days, even with 'orrible little kids using it daily! (so you should be ok with Sam & Percy  ;))

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#6 Re: Good IT suppliers in Sheff
October 26, 2006, 08:55:54 pm
Cheers for the feedback on various links.

Graeme

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#7 Re: Good IT suppliers in Sheff
October 30, 2006, 12:44:26 pm
Big G - I will speak to Sam about this tomorrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal