UKBouldering.com

What do you do for a living? (Read 17086 times)

Stubbs

#50 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 01, 2006, 01:41:04 pm
Environmental Engineer / wannabe Farmer.

What consultancy work are the environmental consultants up to?

Contaminated land mainly; cleaning up other people's mess on a large scale!

JR

• forum abuser
#51 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 01, 2006, 01:47:52 pm
I did a physics degree and was joining the marines, i now take kids climbing and build climbing walls freelance with a little bit of IRATA thrown in, i am trying to become a jet pilot.  We shall see what happens...

Rice Boy

• stalker
#52 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 01, 2006, 03:34:32 pm

I've recently started out in the same sector and am curious to find out the true diversity of roles within the environmental sector as a whole, i.e. environmental scientist, water resources etc.

As I've only ever spoken with environmental engineers my polar view is that people either work eviro. engineering or EA.

Got a site visit near a farm the other day. Well chuffed.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 03:37:14 pm by Rice Boy »

erm, sam

• forum hero
#53 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 01, 2006, 03:47:12 pm
Re: Product design.. its the type of thing where if you have great ideas and a good portfolio then there is no reason why you couldn't do it. The problem would be the millions of youths with a mad drive to do intenships etc an live on less money than you probably need, making it harder for you to get your foot on the ladder.
You don't even really need to go to college and study it for years. If you have genuine interest in this area then you must have done some stuff, or have some ideas that you could do. once you have a porfolio you can get on a course, masters maybe and and get the bit of paper you need to be taken seriously, but really it is all about the ideas.. Or skip college and take your portfolio to some smaller brands/companies and ask them for projects that you might do for free-or cheap- for the experience and feedback etc. Where there is a will etc etc
I am an apparel designer now, but I did my first degree in Zoology at Sheffield and pisssed around for a while starting failed clothing labels and the like before doing a masters course in Sportswear Design. Now I am a shiney senior designer in a well known sports brand and I am basically self taught. You got to be a quick learner though...

BenF

• forum hero
#54 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 01, 2006, 04:47:07 pm
Thanks fella - "treading water" is a good description of what I'm doing at the moment. The pay is pretty shit but it's such low stress it's just what I needed for a while.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.  I made an art of treading water for many years, far too many years in fact, basically 'cos I didn;t want no stress.  However, low stress sounds like what you need and who knows you may decide that you want to stay that way for a long time.  I did and can honestly say that my years of slacking were excellent and I was lucky enough to get my act together and land on my feet again eventually.  It's also worth saying that my partner was and is incredibly supportive, in fact it was her who really encouraged me to sort my shit out and finally do something both rewarding and challenging.  Respect to her.

AndyR

• forum hero
#55 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 01, 2006, 04:54:20 pm

I've recently started out in the same sector and am curious to find out the true diversity of roles within the environmental sector as a whole, i.e. environmental scientist, water resources etc.

As I've only ever spoken with environmental engineers my polar view is that people either work eviro. engineering or EA.

Got a site visit near a farm the other day. Well chuffed.

Have a look at ENDS - there's a million different types of env consultancy out there - if you really do get a kick out of farming, then there are lots of agricultural consultancies that use env. types to help the bloody farmers contaminate the land to the maximum extent they can get away with..... :oops:
Personally, I do contam land, some water resources, some mining, and have done wastewater treatment, windfarm geotechnics, flood risk assessment etc.

squeek

• junky
#56 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 01, 2006, 09:33:27 pm
I did a physics degree and was joining the marines, i now take kids climbing and build climbing walls freelance with a little bit of IRATA thrown in, i am trying to become a jet pilot.  We shall see what happens...

Why don't you aim a little higher and push yourself?  ;)

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#57 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 02, 2006, 08:28:52 am
'Bout time I 'fessed up and admitted to being a teacher. Which is great. But not 'Special', just ordinary comp. Love the job though. I , like Ben, know lots of teacher/climbers. Stunning, Dal, Pete Chad, Oz, Owen, Steve Roberts etc etc. This time of year is the best as there's lots of cragging to be done, time to get those projects ticked before term starts again.

BenF

• forum hero
#58 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 02, 2006, 08:37:18 am
'Bout time I 'fessed up and admitted to being a teacher. Which is great. But not 'Special', just ordinary comp. Love the job though. I , like Ben, know lots of teacher/climbers. Stunning, Dal, Pete Chad, Oz, Owen, Steve Roberts etc etc. This time of year is the best as there's lots of cragging to be done, time to get those projects ticked before term starts again.

Great innit?  I broke up five days ago and have climbed on four of them.  Tomorrow I go to the Alps for three and a half weeks.  OFSTED in September though, so have a bit to do on my return. :thumbsdown:

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#59 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 02, 2006, 09:15:01 am
Going for some serious highballing are we  ;) Hope OFSTED goes ok, at least you've got more than 2 days notice  :o

BenF

• forum hero
#60 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 02, 2006, 10:45:03 am
Going for some serious highballing are we  ;)

:lol:  Yeah, I'm gonna need plenty of mats for those ten pitch problems...   Actually I intend getting a bit of bouldering in at some point, not sure where though, depends on heat really.

Hope OFSTED goes ok, at least you've got more than 2 days notice  :o

Thanks.  We seem to have been tipped off re: the OFSTED, management are certainly planning for one in mid-september anyway.  Dunno where this new two days notice business comes in to that!

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#61 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 02, 2006, 10:53:49 am
I'm pretty certain to get hit sometime next school year as a) the new head has been there for just over a year and b) it's been 5 years since the last 'visit'

Rice Boy

• stalker
#62 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 02, 2006, 10:58:02 am
Have a look at ENDS - there's a million different types of env consultancy out there - if you really do get a kick out of farming, then there are lots of agricultural consultancies that use env. types to help the bloody farmers contaminate the land to the maximum extent they can get away with..... :oops:

Personally, I do contam land, some water resources, some mining, and have done wastewater treatment, windfarm geotechnics, flood risk assessment etc.

Cheers for the advice, it's more the experience of the individual professional I'm after such as you've provided. Hoping the MSc will clear up a few questions.

BenF

• forum hero
#63 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 02, 2006, 11:00:11 am
I'm pretty certain to get hit sometime next school year as a) the new head has been there for just over a year and b) it's been 5 years since the last 'visit'

Yeah, that sounds very likely.  Maybe we'll escape for a bit though, we're three years on from our last inspection and our Head's been there for two years.  However, the Head is insistent that we're getting inspected in September - probably just trying to make us work harder!

a dense loner

• forum hero
#64 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 05, 2006, 03:42:54 am
Rent boy.  £5.50 an hour. Get in.  :shag:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 03:55:27 am by a dense loner »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#65 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 05, 2006, 07:27:59 am
Then you'll be familiar with the Johnny Lee Miller flick Meat?  Harsh portrayal of the plight of the rentboy on minimum wage.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
#66 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 05, 2006, 10:11:36 am
Dark, dark, dark film. Very good though.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#67 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 06, 2006, 09:52:06 am
Well I've just started a new job having been working for an outdoor clothing/equipment company for the last four years. In fact I've worked in the outdoor clothing industry for the last 9 years so I'm pleased to finally make the HUGE shift to............ the fashion industry!! I've started work for a company called White Stuff who are opening in Keswick. I get to be the boss for once!!!!! First impressions are great, opening on the 17th of this month if anyone feels the urge to come and say hello  ;D ;D ;D

Retail is all I know, not a bad industry to be in. I'm actually pleased to be getting the odd week day off now instead of the old mon-fri 9-5 I was doing. Means I can have a good quiet session at the cobble without being distracted by kids from London  :furious: :furious: Had to REALLY restrain myself the other day, these little fuckers we're throwing stones (of which 3 nearly hit me) talking about when I was "gonna fall off next" and generally being abusive. I am a fairly tolerant person, but had my patience pushed to the limit. Sorry a bit of a rant and a tad  :off: but feeling better for it!!!!

bigphil

• menacing presence
#68 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 06, 2006, 10:33:42 am

I work in water resources - flood risk, water quality etc, but I don't tend to work for the EA, more private companies etc, though I used to do EIA and contaminated land and occassionally still do when the work dictates.  The best thing about doing hydrology is that site visits tend to just entail a walk along the river.  Nice.  I've also worked all over the UK, Cyprus, Suriname and been involved in projects in Azerbaijan and Russia.  There are definately more opportunities then working in contaminated land has thrown up.

blockhead

• player
#69 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 07, 2006, 09:56:07 am
I put the wet stuff on the hot red stuff for a living. The job is great and it leaves loads of midweek time free... if it wasn't for looking after my son. Do seem to end up working lots of friday or weekend nights tho.. which is not so good.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#70 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 07, 2006, 10:03:59 am
I put the wet stuff on the hot red stuff for a living

Firefighter?  :-\

blockhead

• player
#71 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 07, 2006, 10:30:13 am
Yup.

Rice Boy

• stalker
#72 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 07, 2006, 12:41:08 pm
I work in water resources - flood risk, water quality etc, but I don't tend to work for the EA, more private companies etc, though I used to do EIA and contaminated land and occassionally still do when the work dictates.  The best thing about doing hydrology is that site visits tend to just entail a walk along the river.  Nice.  I've also worked all over the UK, Cyprus, Suriname and been involved in projects in Azerbaijan and Russia.  There are definately more opportunities then working in contaminated land has thrown up.

Water resources is where I'm headed with a masters in Contaminant Hydrology over the peak in Sheff. The department seems to have some top academics on staff.

Farming's taking a sideline as I'm finding a 6 by 6 allotment hard enough. ::)

JaseM

#73 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 07, 2006, 11:20:13 pm
Also a firefighter. Excellent job for climbing, apart from none of my mates outside the job work anything remotely close to my shift pattern. As mentioned by blockhead there are a lot of weekends involved, but empty crags during the week are a pleasure.
Currently the job gives plenty of job satisfaction, but, much like all my friends in public service morale is flowing away and upper management don't give a shit about you or the service, only the bottom line.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#74 Re: What do you do for a living?
August 08, 2006, 12:57:25 pm
im a sort of student, despite my age...
im currently practicing in a law firm, to be precise in a notary firm, to try a big national exam and become a notary. in the countries of "positive law" its a very different role than in "common law" countries, but its a very good job for the ones who like law and right, and its very very very well paid, and that means you can work less to make a living...

and what do you do when you dont work?.....

before, ive worked four years in a bank, was earning good money but didnt like it so i quit.
now i basically work the same amount of hours, but am not paid at all.

something didnt go according to my plans...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal