UKBouldering.com

Yet Another Sequel (DivX) (Read 2875 times)

ffast

Yet Another Sequel (DivX)
July 12, 2006, 09:16:13 am
The fat bastard and the Bristol hooks are back again.

This time, I'm offering more Finnish (dull) bouldering and something from Switzerland (Dreamtime).

Go grab yourself a tea while downloading this baby, because it will take a while (file size ~730Mb).

http://jannunen.koodiorja.com/yas/

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#1 Re: Yet Another Sequel (DivX)
July 12, 2006, 09:41:57 am
Just watched the first 5 mins, and it looks good. No sound though because I'm streaming it. However, download will be done in 15 mins. I'll watch it completely later and let you know. But forgive my ignorance, what is this a sequel to? Ridni?

ffast

#2 Re: Yet Another Sequel (DivX)
July 12, 2006, 10:08:17 am
This is sequel to Yet Another Bouldering Film (YABF).

There's also a torrent available:  http://jannunen.koodiorja.com/yas/yas_divx.avi.torrent

It might be a bit slow at first, but it gets better when there are more people downloading (and seeding).

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#3 Re: Yet Another Sequel (DivX)
July 14, 2006, 02:50:59 pm
Finally got to watch it all the way through and here is what I thought.  Bear in mind it's been a long time since I was an international movie reviewer (ie. never).

Firstly, and most importantly, it has hard problems. Better than that, it features just some regular guys doing some hard problems (although I know how good Nalle is I still think he's relatively unknown). No pretense, no bullshit, just like a bunch of guys going climbing. It's a million miles way from what dosage 3 was for climbing. This has it's pro's and con's. It did make me want to go to Switzerland so in that respect it did it's job.

But here's tip number 1. Buy a new camera or stop using that wide angle converter that makes everything a blur. Most of this film is out of focus. That was quite annoying, and if there hadn't been some hard problems in it, I wouldn't have bothered watching it. The music was alright. The house/techno/trance bit was probably the least bad, but the first 15mins were, in my opinion, rather droll.

It's not a particulary bad film, it feature some amazing looking problems, but personally I wouldn't have minded if it had been shot on a better camera, in focus, and with a better soundtrack. I look forward to the next one "yet another trilogy"? and I hope by then your sponsors have given you some better equipment. For all my slander, I enjoyed it!

ffast

#4 Re: Yet Another Sequel (DivX)
July 14, 2006, 03:01:32 pm
But here's tip number 1. Buy a new camera or stop using that wide angle converter that makes everything a blur. Most of this film is out of focus. That was quite annoying, and if there hadn't been some hard problems in it, I wouldn't have bothered watching it. The music was alright. The house/techno/trance bit was probably the least bad, but the first 15mins were, in my opinion, rather droll.

It's not a particulary bad film, it feature some amazing looking problems, but personally I wouldn't have minded if it had been shot on a better camera, in focus, and with a better soundtrack. I look forward to the next one "yet another trilogy"? and I hope by then your sponsors have given you some better equipment. For all my slander, I enjoyed it!
I know the lack of equipment affects badly to the movie. 1CCD cameras are SO crappy with difficult lightning. Another problem is that wide angle lense, because my camera's optics aren't so good... I hope I get 3CCD camera so the quality would be better. One thing that affected the quality is the lightning... 1CCD camera tends to overlight the film, so I had to do a lot of level adjusting. And of course, the main problem is between behind the camera. I'm a total amateur with filming and editing, so only time will fix that.

About the soundtrack... I have to use music that isn't commercial by any means. In Finland there is this company called 'Teosto' who wants money if I use commercial music (even if I got a permission from the author to use the music). The cost of using commercial music was something like 1 euro / minute / copy of the movie.

We'll have to see about the trilogy =) I won't be doing any filming until I get the better camera.

Cheers.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#5 Re: Yet Another Sequel (DivX)
July 14, 2006, 03:08:54 pm
The first 3 minutes of this film disgust me.  The flashing of sponsor logos in the middle of the climbing sequences is a habit that I hope dies as soon as humanly possible. 

In fact, it pisses me off so much that if it wasn't for the fact that I was climbing in this fine land a few weeks back (and might spot a few of the people I climbed with) I'd give up on it instantly.

And the music is piss poor.  But I understand why it's difficult to employ the music that you would want.  I love electronica, but climbing and electronica are sometimes a poor match, IMO.  And widdly-twiddly guitar-wank frettery should be frowned upon always, and not just in bouldering films.

EDIT - By way of offering something a little more constructive...  I'd like to echo Uncles' comments above.  It's not that the music is trash per se - more a case of it being completely mismatched with what you are watching.  Somethings just aren't meant to be set to a 4 to the floor beat.  As for getting around the cash for tracks issue, contemplate getting in touch with a young composer of music, who might be able to link sound to the visuals with more alacrity.  I'm sure there are young contemporary composers/soundtrack makers out there who would jump at the chance to provide sound to images like these.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 03:29:23 pm by Houdini »

fontmaniac

#6 Re: Yet Another Sequel (DivX)
August 19, 2006, 10:32:49 pm
Hi could someone please tell me where the One Move Wonder and the unnamed dyno are (I know they are in Switzerland  :)). Cheers for help.

ffast

#7 Re: Yet Another Sequel (DivX)
August 20, 2006, 04:50:04 pm
One move wonder is "between" Mithril and Super platte.

Unnamed dyno is near Yuri Gagarin. Down from the Mediomen on the way from Dreamtime to the parking place.

fontmaniac

#8 Re: Yet Another Sequel (DivX)
August 23, 2006, 12:09:05 am
Thanx for directions. One more question, is the double dyno at the beginning of Cresciano part in the Dreamtime sector?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal