UKBouldering.com

Font by train (Read 8512 times)

Shaun

• regular
Font by train
June 28, 2006, 08:40:26 pm
Im traveling to France by train and wanted to fit in a visit to Font. I might only have  day trips from Paris (girlfriend) so I was thinking of going to the Rocher Canon area, from bois-le-roi. Whats this area like? Do I need to take my bouldering mat? Will I be allowed on the metro with my mat? Lots of questions but I havent been to Font before and want to make the most of my limited time. Cheers

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1 Re: Font by train
June 28, 2006, 09:31:35 pm
The mats are no problem unless they are mondo's.  I like Font by train, the route goes through some reet nice places further down line from Font.  Quite useful if you've got a gite further out, I found.

EDIT.  Ah!  Mats through the Metro?!  Yes of course, love it!  You'll be hated for it, but...   hmmm  let's hope it's er, quiet, when you're there.   Ride the Underground with a medium mat, for one whole day, as punishment!  Woooo... Let's hope I don't make PM!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 09:36:15 pm by Houdini »

zemike

• regular
#2 Re: Font by train
June 29, 2006, 08:14:05 am
rocher canon is a classic font area. any style there: old-/newskool, high/low, polished/gritty, straightup/trav, slab/roof probs.... you will find some of the best  circuits rouges there. it will take you some time to get there by train: the train ist about 45 min. from gare est to boisleroi, from there 20-30 min. walkinthewoods (slightly epic: crossing the n7 (or 6???) on the way); the walk itself could be entertaining if you`re down there during the french mating season...where the woods are integral part of the game...
mats: as usual depens on your history: if you`re used to it: take it, if you can do without it: 80% good landings there

Shaun

• regular
#3 Re: Font by train
June 29, 2006, 06:30:19 pm
Thanks for the replies. I am tempted to take my small pod mat with me and run the Metro gauntlet. Is it worth me getting a guide of the area?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Font by train
June 30, 2006, 10:37:04 am
Get a guide, or the OS Map has all major areas listed. Font Off Piste looks like a good one for the mid grader.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#5 Re: Font by train
July 06, 2006, 01:21:17 pm

Ah!  Mats through the Metro?!  Yes of course, love it!  You'll be hated for it, but...   hmmm  let's hope it's er, quiet, when you're there.  

Having spent all of March in Font camping (felt like an epic in a tent I can tell you!), the two trips I went on with 60l rucksack, two other small sacs, a mountain bike and bouldering mat on the metro was a real laugh. Under no circumstances emulate these stupid situations at any time of day in Paris. And god help you if the Gendarmerie are detonating a suspect package in the Gare du Nord without announcing it on the public address system.
All in all, experiential ratings for the 'mobile' boulderer in Paris: 0.

Seriously though, if you are travelling on the metro with just a daysack and your pod mat, you'll be fine. I'm not even convinced a mat at Canon would be totally neccessary, strip of carpet rolled up in your bag may be better as the landings are generally sound.
Incidentally, on the subject of the gendarme, under no circumstances allow yourself to get into a situation whereby they can accost you on account of how suspicious your bouldering mat is. As once happened to us, they took us aside at a security check at one of the train stations and seemed to have in their mind, that it was just a big bag full of cocaine. Running through my vocabulary of all french climbing terms, they still seemed suspicious, and I was sure it was going to be slashed open and our cavities searched. Thankfully..this wasn't to be.

Shaun

• regular
#6 Re: Font by train
July 06, 2006, 06:57:50 pm
thanks again for the responses. Does anyone know what they think of bouldering mats on the Eurostar? And where can I get this "pink guide". Cheers

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#7 Re: Font by train
July 06, 2006, 07:43:46 pm
Look dude... 

Stop bleating about mats will ya!?  I've taken multi-pads on bicycles, mopeds, overland trains, underground trains, lashed on the top of a rental car with a slackline, and on too many flights to mention, through a trillion time-zones.  All without incident.  Ever.  You'll pull it off - I'm convinced!    ;)

Taken 'em on the Thalis, DB, and Eurostar, TGV: all good.  Just having to explain what they are to people over and over again and remaining cordial, that's bad.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 05:15:37 pm by Houdini »

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#8 Re: Font by train
July 06, 2006, 11:32:11 pm
No problems with Eurostar. I've taken 2 large pod mats with me before. They've only got little x-ray machines though which made it interesting. But yeah, you'll be fine (unless you have one of those monster Franklin ones)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#9 Re: Font by train
July 07, 2006, 06:53:51 pm
Sounds too cliched to happen but I wonder if any climbers have ever had grief at customs for chalk?

bigphil

• menacing presence
#10 Re: Font by train
January 07, 2007, 09:13:11 am
Having spent all of March in Font camping

I will probably attempting to camp for a week this March.  Any recommended camp sites?  Will be with the misses so somewhere close to other activities like horse riding would be ideal.  What's camping like?  Are the owners friendly and is your stuff relatively safe?  Is it a nightmare of bad weather and cold wind at that time of year?

Cheers. BP

Monolith

• forum hero
#11 Re: Font by train
January 07, 2007, 07:02:06 pm
Last March in the forest was wet, really fucking wet. I was told by my then climbing partner pre-trip that March was the dryest month on average in Paris. Take any such claims with a hefty pinch of salt.

If you camp at La Musardierre (check spelling) just outside of Milly-La-Foret, you'll be ideally placed to get to a number of the Trois Pignons finest venues. 95.2 is about 30-40 mins on foot if I remember rightly, a lot less if you have a bike. Not in the know with regards to gite and hotel suggestions I'm afraid.

bigphil

• menacing presence
#12 Re: Font by train
January 07, 2007, 09:07:58 pm
Cheers.  I'll be looking up the gite options tomorrow at work but camping will be a fall back option.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#13 Re: Font by train
January 07, 2007, 09:23:29 pm
Sounds too cliched to happen but I wonder if any climbers have ever had grief at customs for chalk?

I had some swabbed and analysed at Los Angeles airport. Two officers, one shouts to the other "it's laxative".
Not at all embarrassing.

Duma

• forum hero
#14 Re: Font by train
January 08, 2007, 01:30:40 pm
been years since I stayed there, but I believe Musadiere isn't open until the week before easter? anyone confirm this?

Monolith

• forum hero
#15 Re: Font by train
January 08, 2007, 01:42:57 pm
Jesus, I can't remember when the Easter period is. It was open at the very start of March last year if that helps. In fact I'm not even sure if it ever closes does it? Oh yeah, forgot to mention le grumpy tractor man. He'll ride around all hours of the day pointlessly picking up leaves and twigs when they just keep falling. Usually found muttering some thing like "zut alors, zese english students drav me mayd!" Blasting out Radio Milly or whatever other shit he's listening to at 6 in the morning.

Another hilarious element of Musardierre is the summer swimming trunk policy - budgie smugglers only I'm afraid gents. Think this might be so Mr. Greased-up Pool Attendant can have a perve from behind those dark sunnies of his. Go and read the pool rules, it's hilarious. You might have to make a few bodily modifications prior to entering le piscine, but it's well worth it to see so many female yellowy hairy armpits.

As a vegetarian, I found it hilarious when the local crows consumed my climbing partners expensive steaks he'd left in the porch of the tent. Karma indeed.

Go there, it's a gas!

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#16 Re: Font by train
January 08, 2007, 02:16:24 pm
Jesus, I can't remember when the Easter period is.

It's no good asking him.

Monolith

• forum hero
#17 Re: Font by train
January 08, 2007, 02:18:43 pm
I trust the good lord will forgive me for my lack of forethought  :spank:

Not that Jesus was into S&M you understand..

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#18 Re: Font by train
January 08, 2007, 02:38:42 pm
Jesus, I can't remember when the Easter period is.

It's no good asking him.
I don't know, you'd have thought he'd remember a little something like his own crucifixion.

Monolith

• forum hero
#19 Re: Font by train
January 08, 2007, 02:48:32 pm
 :lol:

A sublime out-witting there.
Is anybody else familiar with grumpy tractor man? Think he has a grumpy mate too.

chappers

• forum hero
#20 Re: Font by train
January 14, 2007, 09:32:00 am
been years since I stayed there, but I believe Musadiere isn't open until the week before easter? anyone confirm this?

fully shut up and closed just before christmas if that helps. i assume that that would continue untill the weather is better...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal