UKBouldering.com

Registry optimisation etc. (Read 1757 times)

underground

• forum hero
Registry optimisation etc.
January 08, 2006, 07:09:19 pm
Now then, has anyone got any opinion on doing the above using software to clean up the registry in WinXP?

Also does anyone know of anyhere on the web which will give me a list of all the processes in WinXP which can be turned off to speed things up?

I just want to get rid of all the extraneous shite off my PC so it has more power to do the stuff i want it to and not waste it on wanky update schedulers and the like.

Thanks for listening... :D

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#2 Re: Registry optimisation etc.
January 09, 2006, 05:05:51 am
Quote from: "underground"
Also does anyone know of anyhere on the web which will give me a list of all the processes in WinXP which can be turned off to speed things up?

The easiest way is to open up Task Manager and for anything which you dont recognise chuck the name into google and see what it says. Theres a few sites around with descriptions of various processes and whether you can get rid of them or not.

Also go through the services list and disable anything which doesnt need to be running.

Finally you need to hceck the registry for the really persistent ones (eg Real scheduler installs itself here)
Go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

In here youll find a list of keys which have paths to apps which start up when you start windows. Delete the ones which you dont need (health warning : dont delete stuff out of the registry unless you know what you are doing)

Finally (nearly there...) download Ad-Aware from here and run it. This will get rid of any spy/mal ware which you have lingering about.

All done. This should help things along a bit

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal