UKBouldering.com

Yorkshire grit (Read 6878 times)

Danny

• junky
Yorkshire grit
December 10, 2004, 04:22:40 pm
Was hopin to pike a few days out on the yorkshire grit, since I'm off home 4 crimbo,I don't know FA about it...
Which brings me to my next point; where has YG.com gone, or is it just my computer???
Next; Any suggestions from you experienced gritster types on crags, problems upto V8 and routes upto E5(tho stuff around V6/E3 is better :wink: )
cheers all.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Yorkshire grit
December 10, 2004, 05:29:47 pm
Yup yg.com is down as a rab jacket.

Crags: They're all bloody great.

Problems: They're all bloody great.

Routes: I've done some nice HVSs....

Okay, okay, seriously, Yorkshire has a crag for whatever you fancy, whatever setting, whatever access, whatever rock type, whatever problems style, whatever overall feel. It's hard to recommend any particular one, it really depends on what you're after - Almscliff, Bardon Moor Crags, Bridestones, Brimham, Caley, Crookrise, Crookstones, Earl Crag, Slipstones, Shipley Glen, Widdop - they're all great. Even Ilkley and Woodhouse are pretty cool too. And there's all the esoteric little crags and some of those are class too.

Best thing would be to buy the guide, take the grades with a pinch of salt, and pick and choose.

Danny

• junky
#2 Yorkshire grit
December 10, 2004, 06:19:23 pm
Ok, lets narrow it down to Ilkley, Earl and Slipstones for a combination of nearish my house and good type reasons.

BenF

• forum hero
#3 Yorkshire grit
December 10, 2004, 08:18:02 pm
Dunno about Slipstones, I think Ilkey is a bit crap (pretty blasphemous I know), but Earl is utterly brilliant.  Best grit crag I know of.

So, what would I recommend?  Haven't done any routes but half the problems feel like routes anyway - in style and impression if not height.

Would make a beeline for any arete you can see, but particularly: Grapenut (with or without the jump start), Desert Island Arete, the V1-2 warm up aretes near Handy Andys, Trick Arete, Rat au Vin, Hanging Arete (oft overlooked gem), Ron's Arete etc etc.

Away from the aretes go for Sloping Beauty of course, Andy Browns Wall (looks good but I ain't been on it yet), JD Slap (with or without the slap it's still great and the same grade), the Flakes (it is good but I can't do it), Hanging Groove, Australia Roof, the V5 just round the corner from The Flakes.

That should start you off.  And it should be in nice nick right now, or at least it was last week.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#4 Yorkshire grit
December 10, 2004, 08:38:26 pm
may be a bit of a team headin to earl on sunday

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#5 Yorkshire grit
December 10, 2004, 08:40:20 pm
2 out of 3 are pure class. Ilkley is okay in a bouldering at the base of crag eliminates kinda way although it does have a beasty training ground on the Calf.

Earl, as Ben said, well, yes. Hanging Arete is my favourite there. Haven't done much else.

Slipstones, a good combination of harder bouldering, easier bouldering, and lots of microroutes / solos. My favourites would be Rock On Left Hand, Leaning Wall and the possible underrated Sunday 20th. Other classics including of course: Sulky Little Boys, Micro Corner, Layby, Layby Arete, Right Hand Twin, and any micro-routes.

Edit:

Ok, lets narrow it down to Ilkley, Earl and Slipstones for a combination of nearish my house and good type reasons.

Eh what? I'm not sure how Ilkley, Earl, and Slipstones can all be nearish your house, they're all over the bloody place, in fact you'd only get a wider spread of crags if you included Widdop!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#6 Yorkshire grit
December 10, 2004, 09:00:41 pm
Maybe he lives in a hot air balloon and has to go where the wind dictates. It's a possibility!

Danny

• junky
#7 Yorkshire grit
December 11, 2004, 07:30:01 pm
Quote from: "Bonjoy"
Maybe he lives in a hot air balloon and has to go where the wind dictates. It's a possibility!

:lol:  I prefer blimps.

I live in Sedbergh, so I can nip down the A65 to ilkley or across to slipstones in the dent direction. Earl was included because, like people say, its supposed to be ace.

Equally much of the lakes aint so far away, although my local area has FA i think with a car theres an amazin choice of crags close-ish.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#8 Yorkshire grit
December 11, 2004, 09:31:54 pm
You been to Lops Wath yet? Best bouldering within a half hour of Sedbergh. Worked in Dent for a while and used to go after work. And its grit.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#9 Yorkshire grit
December 11, 2004, 09:56:19 pm
You're just making up northern sounding names now Johnny

Dutch Master Killa

• regular
#10 Yorkshire grit
December 11, 2004, 10:37:40 pm
Def recommend earl dan but ilkley is a bit toss but does have a few gems such as first arete etc.  Slipstones is ok but i had a very toss day when i went but wunt mind goin back there to see if i could do anything.  Let me, laurie or andy know when you're coming and we'll see if we can meet you out there or summat.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#11 Yorkshire grit
December 12, 2004, 01:29:15 am
can't say that i'll get lynched, but it was true b4 i edited it :wink:

cofe

• forum hero
#12 Yorkshire grit
December 12, 2004, 05:45:11 pm
slipstones and earl are both amazing

Danny

• junky
#13 Yorkshire grit
December 13, 2004, 09:59:04 am
Quote from: "Dutch Master Killa"
Def recommend earl dan but ilkley is a bit toss but does have a few gems such as first arete etc.  Slipstones is ok but i had a very toss day when i went but wunt mind goin back there to see if i could do anything.  Let me, laurie or andy know when you're coming and we'll see if we can meet you out there or summat.

Sounds like a plan stan, hope those southern kids r treatin u well.

Danny

• junky
#14 Yorkshire grit
December 13, 2004, 10:07:22 am
Quote from: "Johnny Brown"
You been to Lops Wath yet? Best bouldering within a half hour of Sedbergh. Worked in Dent for a while and used to go after work. And its grit.

I've walked for miles, miles I tell you, across fellsides near home in search of rock only to find choss.
Nearest crag is Farleton which is polished to fek slimestone, if I found out there was grit that close to my house I'd cry.

Nigel

• forum hero
#15 Yorkshire grit
December 13, 2004, 11:05:34 am
Reckon it would be OK to get to Kentmere and Gouther in half an hour from Sedbergh. They aren't made of squashed sand though I'm afraid.

Danny

• junky
#16 Yorkshire grit
December 13, 2004, 12:00:19 pm
Aye, I've bin, Kentmere is quality.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#17 Yorkshire grit
December 13, 2004, 06:51:00 pm
I've walked for miles, miles I tell you, across fellsides near home in search of rock only to find choss.
Nearest crag is Farleton which is polished to fek slimestone, if I found out there was grit that close to my house I'd cry

You know The Fat Lamb? My godfather owns it, n I lived there for aboot a year. Now as you'll know there ain't much to do round dem parts. Even given the slightly desperate state that resulted Lops Wath is always better than kendal wall.
There's a new topo (link on the northumberland boulderin thread) but it doesn't have any of the hard stuff. Give me a couple of days and I'll drrop some beta on yo ass. I've even got a project there still which you can have!

Danny

• junky
#18 Yorkshire grit
December 14, 2004, 10:58:53 am
Quality, cheers man.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#19 Re: Yorkshire grit
May 20, 2012, 10:00:46 pm
Is iit down, chaps? Getting a 500 error trying to access on my pho. What's the craic?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#20 Re: Yorkshire grit
May 21, 2012, 09:14:47 am
No problem opening it here

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#21 Re: Yorkshire grit
May 21, 2012, 12:18:21 pm
Back now, false alarm!

chris20

• menacing presence
#22 Re: Yorkshire grit
June 03, 2012, 02:25:36 pm
Me and the misses were hoping to spend the long weekend out and about on the Yorkshire grit but the rain has pissed over that idea, does anyone know if Widdop is fast drying?  We are hoping to get out there tomorrow if the rain stops....

tomtom

• forum hero
#23 Yorkshire grit
June 03, 2012, 02:43:50 pm
Me and the misses were hoping to spend the long weekend out and about on the Yorkshire grit but the rain has pissed over that idea, does anyone know if Widdop is fast drying?  We are hoping to get out there tomorrow if the rain stops....

Exposed crags (e.g) Almscliff dry the fastest...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal