UKBouldering.com

Paris Olympics 2024 Sport Climbing (Read 27197 times)

Doug

• regular
Anyone know who the discovery commentator is? Please not the guy who did Tokyo...
Shauna will be commentating on Discovery.

The BBC have listed their climbing commentators as Ed Leigh and Mike Langley (same duo as in Tokyo). So hopefully that means the BBC plan to show all of it, live and uninterrupted.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Worth paying for Discovery in that case...

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
I thought Shauna said she was commentating with ‘Matt’ on her recent Nugget podcast but was hard to make out, so maybe Matt Groom?

IanP

• forum abuser

The BBC have listed their climbing commentators as Ed Leigh and Mike Langley (same duo as in Tokyo). So hopefully that means the BBC plan to show all of it, live and uninterrupted.

The BBC is limited to two live streams ,  one terrestrial, one digital so full.live coverage of less mainstream events is not guaranteed (likely?).  Climbing is earlier in the day but I would think it unlikely that you'll find full live coverage particularly of the first round.

I've already signed up for  Discovery+ so can guarantee live coverage of things like the climbing and cycling

Bradders

• forum hero
Anyone know who the discovery commentator is? Please not the guy who did Tokyo...

Cheese and rice, really?! Why?! I'm not sure which of them was the main bloke from Tokyo but I've never heard such dreadful commentary. Really no clue how he's still got the job.

edshakey

• forum abuser
Found it, Jonny Bryan was the Eurosport/discovery commentator in Tokyo and that was not at all for me unfortunately.

I can see why the BBC have Ed and Mike for Paris, Ed is in to do multiple sports - BMX, climbing, skateboarding - and Mike has done BBCs for BBC before.

Another hope is that the host broadcast doesn't show all sorts of silly measurements about the holds on the boulders. I remember one 3D visualisation in 2021 showed the length of a crimp rail (~30cm) instead of the depth (~1cm). Don't know why the former was deemed to be useful/impressive!

Doug

• regular
Jonny Bryan (aka Shouty Man) used commentate on the IFSC WCs years ago.

Doug

• regular
Just seen that Matt Groom will be commentating with Shauna on discovery+. He's not mentioned on any of their press releases though.

Bradders

• forum hero
Came across these, in case anyone missed the last Olympics and is wondering what the fuss is about the commentary, or if you did catch it and wanted to remind yourself  :lol:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C97vrgnScgl/?igsh=MTU0aDRneHhvdnhrbA==

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C99qDrcSKsQ/?igsh=MXJyc2xjOG1uY2tlbw==

yetix

• forum abuser
I shouldn't be so triggered by the blue skies and 32 degrees comment

Dac

• player
In the commentators defense, if you set a treadmill to a gradient of 25 degrees overhanging it would be indeed quite strenuous: so he’s right there at least.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Jesus, I'd forgotten. Dreadful. I'm right in saying he isn't doing the job this time right?

Bradders

• forum hero
I shouldn't be so triggered by the blue skies and 32 degrees comment

It's things like "it's visually appealing, especially to the eye" that get me. I mean fair enough climbing is a difficult and technical sport to understand, but when you're saying things that stupid all sympathy is lost.

ali k

• junky
Sloppy holds :lol:

andy popp

• forum hero
Fingers as strong as legs!

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
Just subscribed to discovery, watching the BMX

The English commentary was so poor, I've switched to francais. My GCSE was 34 years ago but I'm still getting more out of it

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
The surfing commentary on Discovery + is utterly abysmal too.

webbo

• forum hero
When the Eurosport app was discontinued I switched to discovery. I now find I can’t watch it while I’m on holiday in France. What shit show.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
France.tv online or France 2 and France 3 and on Sundays France 5 on the telly

SamT

• forum hero
VPN to make it look like you're in the UK??

SamT

• forum hero
#70 Re: Paris Olympics 2024 Sport Climbing
August 01, 2024, 10:21:59 am
Watched a montage round up of the BMX last night.. I had to walk out the room as it was winding my up sooo much.  They kept showing guys hucking 20 feet in the air doing some insane spinny whips shiz.. then cutting away before their feet were back on the pedals, they barely showed a single landing and it was so fast cut that it was virtually impossible to see what the hell was going on and who was who.   Imagine the diving round up showing everybody launching off the 10m platform, and cutting every dive off when each diver was 2 meters from the water.

Claire Balding and co were raving about how impressive it was while I was left thinking, I don't know if it was impressive or not, you didn't show anything of consequense.   Just two high def slow mo complete tricks shown all the way through to landing would have been way way more impressive and given a really impression of just how hard and impressive it is.
 :wall:

Would you go Discovery or Beeb for the climbing.. keen to watch it and get involved, but not if its going to be teeth grindingly bad on the commentry front.

stone

• junky
#71 Re: Paris Olympics 2024 Sport Climbing
August 01, 2024, 11:06:43 am
I've never done any BMX. I'm the sort of idiot that montage presumably was aimed at and I was v disappointed. The slow mo ruins perception of what is impressive ie the speed at which they can control and -as you say- land from.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#72 Re: Paris Olympics 2024 Sport Climbing
August 01, 2024, 11:22:30 am
I watched it live with french commentary on discovery. I'm not really a BMX affecionado ( I used to skateboard) but really enjoyed it.
To be clear I don't speak french, but they were psyched, well informed and called out all the tricks by their English names. It was also funny how biased they were to the french finalist..

I expect discovery has catch up? The actual coverage, camera wise was pretty good and the final fast paced enough to rewatch in full.

The commentary for climbing is Shauna and Matt groom I understand so I reckon I won't need to go french again..

erm, sam

• forum hero
#73 Re: Paris Olympics 2024 Sport Climbing
August 01, 2024, 11:25:47 am
we have shelled out for discovery and as a result I watched all the bmx in full last night. Super good.
For the climbing, if you want to be able to watch the comp properly I'm sure you woudl have to get Discovery. With Virgin we had to get Amazon Prime and access Discovery through that (to watch it on telly not via a laptop), but still 13 quid odd for the month.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#74 Re: Paris Olympics 2024 Sport Climbing
August 01, 2024, 11:31:11 am
Just to confirm once you have the discovery subscription on Amazon you can type BMX into the search bar and watch the male and female finals as a replay. A bit clunky (3.5 hrs long and not chaptered) but you can still select french!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal