UKBouldering.com

One handed bouldering.. (Read 3583 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
One handed bouldering..
October 27, 2004, 12:40:31 pm
Well, since I have a tendon injury and I can't stop climbing long enough for it to heal, I've decided to climb one handed. Going to the peak this weekend, where I'm going to try and climb everything right handed - try being the operative word... :)

Which leads me to the question, are there any problems that are a good challenge with one hand (ie. possible!)? ..Not counting all the B0 slabs out there. Slab problems must lend themselves more to one handed climbing, but I'd love to do something that involved a good honest bit of cranking!

:rocker2:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 One handed bouldering..
October 27, 2004, 01:01:35 pm
Find some hard jamming stuff  :wink:

Nigel

• forum hero
#2 One handed bouldering..
October 27, 2004, 01:06:56 pm
Word to that, a worthy challenge. I've had good sport on Pebble Arete, the arete R of Deliverance, Crescent Arete, The Arete (Roaches), Pocketed Slab on boulder beneath Roaches Lower Tier, most of the problems at Cratcliffe/RHS, all the problems on Joe's Slab and Tody's Playground at Froggatt.

I would say any of these venues are your best bets. Stange probably, then when you've done the others you can try Deliverance one-handed. It has been done! Polish Dave you are a monster  :shock:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 One handed bouldering..
October 27, 2004, 01:27:42 pm
I've hard of Joe's arete at the roaches being done one handed, must be left hand though.

What problems depends on what hand you have injured?

Nigel

• forum hero
#4 One handed bouldering..
October 27, 2004, 01:45:17 pm
Actually, Joe's Arete goes easier right handed. Boils down to a one arm mantle on the sloper on the lip. You can also do Joe's Slab no-handed which is fun.

Gad

• regular
#5 One handed bouldering..
October 27, 2004, 02:37:21 pm
Joes slab no handed, does this include topping out? I've tried it on a few easy problems before and must admit its quit unnerving especially when its quite a big step to the top.
 Topping out no handed should at least add two grades! :D

Nigel

• forum hero
#6 One handed bouldering..
October 27, 2004, 02:40:42 pm
Yep you've got to top out no handed (just to the ledge, not the top of the crag!). Shouldn't really be a problem for anyone who can get there no-handed!

squeek

• junky
#7 One handed bouldering..
October 27, 2004, 06:51:25 pm
red edge right widdop is nice one handed.

r-man

• forum hero
#8 One handed bouldering..
October 27, 2004, 06:53:57 pm
Deliverance one handed!?

bloody hell!

The other problems sound like good suggestions, tho crescent and pebble arete might be a bit highball for me to be able to resist using my left hand! :oops:

r-man

• forum hero
#9 One handed bouldering..
October 31, 2004, 10:48:14 pm
I never realised how much fun one handed climbing could be! :o  :D

Just spent today at the plantation - and I'd thoroughly reccomend giving it a go - it brings new life to the classics!

I did all of the lone boulder right handed, except for the two problems on the overhanging side (they'd probably go, but they're pretty mean slaps). The two B5s are excellent, especially the left. Cool in the gang. :8)

Oh, and possibly the best one handed problem I did was the arete right of deliverance. What a fantastic problem it becomes - the rockover is brilliant!

And that B4 right of the crozzly wall where you leap at the sloper, I reckon that'd go as well, though it's pretty hard stopping the swing (maybe it would be easier with the left hand). But lots of fun!  :D  The slab and the arete on the opposite side are also good.

Wow, it's going to be such a fun one-handed month... Anyone know any good uns in Brownstones?

Hey, anyone tried remergence one-handed.. ha-ha I didn't get too far with that! Daft idea  :oops:  :lol:   (though I'm sure some could pull it off)

Nigel

• forum hero
#10 One handed bouldering..
October 31, 2004, 11:57:04 pm
Nice one, sounds like fun. You can do Digitation at Brownstones no-handed, so one-handed will be OK. Quite committing high up with no hands!

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#11 One handed bouldering..
November 01, 2004, 01:49:41 am
Quote from: "SA Chris"
I've hard of Joe's arete at the roaches being done one handed, must be left hand though.

I always did it with the left for one handed ascents - pretty simple really, pull on, slap for top, throw right leg over top and then pray you dont fall off topping out...

dave

#12 One handed bouldering..
November 01, 2004, 09:40:04 am
a fairly good one to do one-handed is joes slab at froggatt. i know it probably goes none-handed, but one good method (eliminate) is once youre stood on the initial head-heightledges to only allow hands for feet -  you jump for the flat ledge hold with rigth hand, then one-arm mantel it till you've got your left foot on it, then stand up for top with right hand again. cracking mantel move.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal