UKBouldering.com

UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com (Read 11600 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#25 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 09:28:23 am
Fact is people talk about what they know and what's on their mind. If someone says "Have you bin to Arsefarmer's Rock-o-the-Hill, it's ace?" what more can you say if you haven't, other than " Yeah mate, sounds good, must get over there sometime." and most of the time I can't be arsed to say that, as it's a given that I want to go everywhere anyway. If you want to get people enthused about diffrent areas, the best thing to do is to stick up some inspiring photos or video, or even better do a crag review in 'Places to Visit' with good photos attached.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#26 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 10:24:06 am
So, Is Arsefarmer's Rock-o-the-hill any good?

cofe

• forum hero
#27 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 10:35:02 am
nah, its north facing so its always green. shame, theres some good projects up there.

Mr.Burns

• stalker
#28 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 10:35:25 am
Im not from the peak.

The people who post on here no the beef with bouldering all over the UK and if they don't they ask!

Never been to pex though.

cofe

• forum hero
#29 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 10:39:25 am
Quote from: "Mr.Burns"

The people who post on here no the beef with bouldering all over the UK and if they don't they ask!

exactly. the lakes is bo! wales is bo! yorkshire is bo! cornwall is bo! northumberland is bo! the peak is bo!

anywhere we haven't been is probably alright too. its only a matter of time

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#30 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 11:16:52 am
Actually, I think he's got a point, I think there's a couple of issues:

The Peak is overrepresented given the amount of bouldering here compared to elsewhere. Not badly so, and that doesn't mean other areas aren't represented, but it seems disproportionate to me. Perhaps more in the level of discussion than the number of discussions.

The UKB community (I dunno if you like being called a community or not!!) is Sheffield-biased, simply because a larger number of prominent posters are based here. Again, not badly so, again, other places are still represented. However, what I think it boils down to is that a lot of the Sheffield lot are one crew, or at the very least know each other already. This can give a stronger impression of a Sheff-orientated site than it would be if it was all seperate individuals from Sheffield.

Personally I don't see it as much of a problem, but maybe something that can be improved a little, and I see the way to do that as positive - post more about your own areas or other non-Peak areas, encourage people from those areas to join in and represent themselves.

Cheers,
Fiend (Lives: Sheffield, climbs: Peak (okay along with everywhere else))

cofe

• forum hero
#31 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 11:20:48 am
Quote from: "Fiend"
The UKB community (I dunno if you like being called a community or not!!)

don't you mean 'WE' - you're part of it sonny jim, whether you like it or not. i reckon it is a community - or at least that's the nirvana we should be striving for.[/u]

dave

#32 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 11:21:42 am
to be honest a lot of the "sheffield crew" consists of only a small groups of people who knew each other outside UKB before. the only people i really knew outside of UKB were cofe, kim, scouse, jimbo and paz. You get to know people through here, as opposed to getting all your mates to start a forum.

Avoiding the Traitor

• forum abuser
#33 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 11:26:25 am
Am I part of Sheffield crew? I live near Derby and I work in Sheffield.

More likely I'm Peak crew not Sheffield.

Mr.Burns

• stalker
#34 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 11:35:32 am
how would you "improve" it fiend?

I don't see it as a problem that there are a few more sheff based people on here.

underground

• forum hero
#35 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 11:44:58 am
Quote from: "Mr.Burns"
how would you "improve" it fiend?

I don't see it as a problem that there are a few more sheff based people on here.

Perhaps we need to go round 'other' areas flyering at the crags- or maybe a sandwich board round the streets? :roll:

People have to come to the site and use it, no matter where they hang out, and it's not as if we can force folk to talk about 'other' stuff if there's deemed to be a lack...

Stubbs

#36 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 12:04:41 pm
I live in leeds and do the majority of my climbing on Yorkshire grit, and i can't say i have a problem with the content of the site at all. Most of the news is new venues in Lakes, big new lines in wales, etc. Sure a lot of the bouldering chat tends to be about the peaks, but that's like complaining on a football forum that a lot of the topics are about Man U or Real (not tested this theory!). There are quite a few topics about yorkshire an that, and any queries about other areas are usually answered with knowledge.

Anyway, i like reading about the peak - it helps me find out which areas and problems should be done down there, and which ones to avoid.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#37 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 12:12:19 pm
Quote from: "cofe"

exactly. the lakes is bo! wales is bo! yorkshire is bo! cornwall is bo! northumberland is bo! the peak is bo!

The South West is bo too! NE Scotland is bo(bbins) in comparison from a bouldering POV, but theres some potential.

cofe

• forum hero
#38 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 12:14:54 pm
also, i forgot, but for all you heads out there...

south yorkshire is bo too!

:wink:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#39 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 12:23:24 pm
Quote from: "SA Chris"

NE Scotland is bo(bbins) in comparison from a bouldering POV, but theres some potential.

What about Cummingston, I thought that was pretty bo on the one time i visited?

Taxi

#40 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 12:27:01 pm
I live in Wales, climb in Wales and it rocks!
Porth ysgo, boulders by the sea and it NEVER rains ( at least thats what we tell ourselvs), Angel Bay, Llanberis Pass, Jerrys roof, what more could you want...
But I have yet to boulder in the Peak so we shall see.... :)
Claire

Hendo

• player
#41 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 12:29:32 pm
Has anyone on here bouldered at the Thirlstane, Clifton, Garheugh Point, Sandyhills (all Dumfries & Galloway), all pretty good.

I know Fiend has, what was your impression of it Fiend?

Don't have any photos yet, but my digital camcorder should arrive tomorrow, so they'll be on there way.

Being fair, I've not travelled that far to boulder, but I have every intention of doing so.

webbo

• forum hero
#42 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 01:24:37 pm
as an ex yorkshire local from when i lived in leeds and also an ex peak local when i lived on windy ledge :wink: now living in the wild's of east yorkshire.
i don't find a problem with peak bias.i've got info on here about the lakes,n york moors,wales plus i even got some stump cream.
you get out of this site what you ask of it.talk shite and expect to get covered in it.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#43 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 01:28:52 pm
Has anyone on here bouldered at the Thirlstane

fuck, i'd forgotten about that place. i went their about a year ago. it was pretty good. didn't do much bouldering, seem to remember toproping an E5.

Hendo

• player
#44 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 01:35:13 pm
Yeah, Goodnight Irene I think, climb the low roof then go right under the big roof then rock over it instead of left onto easier ground.  Awsome looking line!

Good effort on the top rope

Nigel

• forum hero
#45 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 01:37:43 pm
Quote from: "Hendo"
Good effort on the top rope

Look out, Fiend's about!

(wonder if he's got a withered arm like Beadle?)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#46 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 01:38:52 pm
:lol:

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#47 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 01:45:26 pm
aye it's a mint line. do u know where the gear wud go? i don't have a fuckin clue about things like that.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#48 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 01:51:39 pm
Quote from: "Bonjoy"

What about Cummingston, I thought that was pretty bo on the one time i visited?

Cummingston's ok, but not really accessible on an evening. The cave is unlikely to dry out much through winter. Hopefully going to check out the Clova flava on the weekend.

Hendo

• player
#49 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 01:52:31 pm
I think theres a placement at the junction and then just below the big roof, then you just have to go for it I think, (I haven't climbed this, but I have been imforned thats its pretty airy).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal