UKBouldering.com

UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com (Read 11601 times)

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 19, 2004, 10:36:57 pm
Let's be honest, this site is even more Peakcentric than OTE. When will you lot wake up and realise there is more to UK bouldering than stuff within a 20 mile radius of Sheffield?

Andy F

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 19, 2004, 10:45:23 pm
Bollocks. Just because most of the current posters on the forum are based in Sheffield doesn't make the site Peak centric - it's up to other people to join up and talk about their own areas - what's stopping them?

There's no discrimination over who can join up or where they live and I'll publish articles about anywhere.

If you look at where people are based then you'll see a lot from Wales/Lakes/Southern Sandstone....all over the place really.

What's stopping you sending in photos/articles/or posting on the forum about non-Peak places? Nothing.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#2 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 19, 2004, 10:47:39 pm
Oh...BTW I am a keen boulderer, love Pex (ask Scouse D) and Yorkshire Grit, am In Heaven in Northumberland, am totally into the bouldering scene, just making what I feel is a valid point on this site.

Andy F

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 19, 2004, 10:49:54 pm
Shit, did you even read what I just posted  :roll:

One other thing - the Peak is one of the most popular National Parks in the world - it's surrounded by several major cities and if you're travelling up from the South, it's the first major climbing area north of London.

Any surprises that it gets lots of coverage?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#4 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 19, 2004, 10:54:46 pm
Word Bubba. its the people that post that make this site, more just happen to be from / climb mostly around that area so hence more peak based stuff. I'm from the manc and climb all over but during winter months climb mostly in the peak (cos its the shit) and at a few grit crags in yorks

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#5 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 19, 2004, 10:59:09 pm
Right then who on here is from Sheffiield? :idea:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#6 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 19, 2004, 11:00:43 pm
more like who here lives for the cold winter months when they can send some hard shit in the peak

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 19, 2004, 11:02:19 pm
Quote from: "Andy F"

I think you're missing the point.

If you want to talk about other places, what's stopping you?

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#8 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 19, 2004, 11:03:49 pm
So what about the rest of the country?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 19, 2004, 11:06:35 pm
If you look at the topic titles on the current front page of the main bouldering forum, you'll see the following places mentioned:

Hugencroft
Bolton
Font
Yorkshire
Yorkshire again

Not even one topic about the Peak.

So what about the rest of the country?

What about it? If you want to talk about it, then talk about it, don't  just whinge because you seem to think others don't.

dave

#10 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 19, 2004, 11:08:06 pm
ukboudering forum is representative of anyone who wants to join in.  a forum is only made up of the people who post on it. when bubba started it up he didn't put up a sign saying "only people from sheffield please sign up", it was aimed at any boulderers. if there are a disproportionate amount of peak based climbers on here than that is indicative of the fact that is is one of the most popular and busiest climbing areas in the country. I don't see what your problem can be with that. Are we peak climbers supposed to appologise for living near the peak, incase it hurts your feelings!??!

sorry to be harsh, but this kinda thing really pisses me off. you make it sound like its some kinda conspiracy to exclude the obviously tens of thousands of pex, wales and lakes climbers from joining in, and instead encouraging the minute number of peak climbers.

some people  :roll:

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#11 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 19, 2004, 11:11:46 pm
I've puts responses about Pex and Yorkshire but they've alway's been ignored.  You Peak people fail to see the amazing stuff being done on your doorstep (i.e. Wales and the Lakes), the hard stuff beyond your gritcentric ideolism, and you always focus on the stuff close to home. Get a life.

Andy F

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 19, 2004, 11:18:03 pm
Nah, you get a life - if you don't like it then don't post here.

This isn't a public service and you're not paying for it, so whatever.

There's a load of information here about Wales and the Lakes (there was even a ukb trip to the Lakes earlier this year ffs) and most of us make regular trips to Yorkshire. You're talking crap I'm afraid.

And Pex? Yeah, it has it's devotees but do you really expect hundreds of people to drive past miles of awesome grit just to get to a small, urban quarry? Why not start up ilovepex.com and see how popular it'll be?

dave

#13 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 19, 2004, 11:20:12 pm
yeah what the fuck??? like you've got some kind surveilance camera watching us all now? get a fucking grip.

if you turn your head 90degrees to either your left or your right, you should now be staring one of these in the face:

squeek

• junky
#14 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 19, 2004, 11:20:25 pm
There's a lot of posts about the Peak, 'tis true, because a lot of the main posters primarily climb there and live near there.  However, there's also a lot of talk of other places, lakes, yorkshire, wales, northumberland.   Might be a little peak biased, but it's not peak obsessive.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#15 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 19, 2004, 11:29:56 pm
I used to climb at pex and I have to say its not that great.
plus I only ever got 1 accent of hart arete and have been unable to repeat it again so am not going back incase I forget I ever did it by not being able to do it (worlds hardest V2 ever.... more like V18!)

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#16 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 06:39:39 am
Yeah, and what about South Africa? We were a colony for gods sake..

Hong Kong gets disproportional representation, and SA gets fuck all, it's so unfair, and who really give a shit about Wales? They eat coal there.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#17 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 08:02:30 am

Um, I'm not, at least I don't think I am. I would gues that about half the regulars here are from Sheff, the rest scattered far and wide.

Sorry Andy but you are talking bollocks. You are either part of the problem or part of the solution.

And dry your eyes mate  :crying: Pex is a hole.

Big Frank

• forum abuser
Let's be honest, this site is even more Peakcentric than OTE. When will you lot wake up and realise there is more to UK bouldering than stuff within a 20 mile radius of Sheffield?

Andy F

I started a Peak(s) related thread yesterday with the words "lets be honest.....", it got zapped and I came close to a red card. I agree to some extent that this site is peakcentric but not totaly. Howevere there are a few who are very protective about the area.  :poke:

I'll leave it there.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#19 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 08:08:49 am
I've just read what I posted last night after a couple too many beers watching the Liverpool game (the result bought out the  :twisted: in me).

Oops  :oops:

I guess I get annoyed reading about the Peak all the time as it get's a disproportionate amount of coverage in comparision to other places (e.g Yorkshire, Wales, The Lakes, Northumberland). I was asking to get flamed wasn't I?

Andy F

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#20 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 08:10:52 am
And dry your eyes mate  :crying: Pex is a hole.[/quote]

Yep, Pex is a hole, after all it's a quarry.

But a bloody good one at that.

Monoblock anyone?

Andy F

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#21 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 08:16:51 am
Aye Big Frank, but then most people are protective about their home area and  rightly so - you'd be the same about Yorkshire when it came to it? Nothing wrong with having a bit of pride in your local rock. Certainly for me, though I know you were just having a laugh, I do have an affinity for the Peak after having lived round here for nearly 20 years (albeit with a couple of years being a yorkshiregrit native living in Bradford / Halifax). And though it's over-crowded a lot of the time some of it is still a stunning and quality place to climb, especially if you're lucky enough to be able to catch it mid-week.

Anyway, Andy F - it'd be a shame for you to be put off posting here because you feel your topics are falling on deaf ears - perhaps non Peak topics aren't going to see so much traffic because as Chris pointed out, half the regulars are from Sheffield - that doesn't mean nobody else is interested in other areas.....but if you wade in with an attitude like your posts last night, then you can't be surprised to get attitude back, can you?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#22 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 08:33:06 am
Pex is ace! long live Pex!

Did any of you ever go to the secret crag behind the fire station?

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#23 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 08:47:43 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
And though it's over-crowded a lot of the time some of it is still a stunning and quality place to climb, especially if you're lucky enough to be able to catch it mid-week.

Is it me or are the best climbing days (weatherwise) in the week when you have to work  :(

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#24 UKBouldering.com = Peak bouldering.com
October 20, 2004, 08:53:41 am
Yeah, it's like the old adage "What do you call a day of sunshine after two days of rain?.......Monday"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal