UKBouldering.com

Power Club 566 11th Jan 2021 -17th Jan 2021 (Read 9764 times)

Carl

• regular
:2thumbsup:

Pull HarderTM next time  ;)

Hahaha, that's the plan! Just need to maintain the psyche...

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Like Will am finding the current state of affairs a total psyche drain, and the prospect of no material change for months is not helping.

M - Think I did some stretching, but hard to remember.

T - max hangs. Appalling, sacked it off quite quickly. Stability hangs were ok though. Did some TRX to finish and found I could get a bit closer to horizontal than I thought, but WFH desk gets in the way a bit. 

W - Did core, which was a triumph of motivation over sloth. Easier than last week. Need to start doing some bar core really as I think I will be even worse at that than floor core. Stretching after.

T - repeaters. An improvement on last week's Anderson hangs, succeeding at 2.5kg added baseweight on all three edges.

F - nothing

S - nothing

S - went out. Struggled in the cold and numbed out frequently. Got up nothing. A few awkward falls which rattled my cage a bit causing a stiff neck.

Not a great week for either training or climbing. Like Will I want to hit the ground running on the ropes when we are allowed out again but its a struggle at the moment.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I want to hit the ground running on the ropes

Not literally I hope! :)

Hang in guys, It's a crappy time at the moment, seek happiness where you find it.

abarro81

• forum hero
Like Will am finding the current state of affairs a total psyche drain, and the prospect of no material change for months is not helping.

If it helps*, the combo of injury (can't train properly), a weird flare-up of other swelling (has happened before and been undiagnosed, GP thought rheumatoid arthritis but rheumatology weren't sure.. means I can't even rehab the injury properly), and a lack of alternative releases (partying not allowed, good-for-the-soul soloing seems irresponsible etc.) has me at my least psyched since starting climbing ~15yrs ago. Think I'm up to around half a dozen days in 2021 where I've said something along the lines of "I'd quit climbing if I could think of something else to do with my life".  Which isn't great given we're only 18 days into the new year :'(

*obviously it may not help, but sometimes knowing others are in a similar boat is of some solace!

tomtom

• forum hero
Today is the day known as Blue Monday... so its a shite time of year without covid (Barrows & SM). That said....

The great Satan that is road cycling must be rubbing his hands in glee at all possible new recruits coming his way :D

(Even I have looked at my bike in the last week... not got as far as pumping up the tyres though... the dark side hasnt taken me yet)

abarro81

• forum hero
The great Satan that is road cycling must be rubbing his hands in glee at all possible new recruits coming his way :D

Haha, one of the climbing "old boys" was recommending that to me the other day when I bumped into them in the supermarket queue...

dunnyg

• forum hero
Current positives for you Will:

Days are getting longer
Ab ripper x is still available
I will buy you a non fruit based desert if you can hold a from lever for 10 seconds.

Get some techno on and get on the board.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Get the running shoes on. Even if it's not what you want to, you might even start enjoying it!

I also thought about getting the road bike out but apparently some crappy conditions exist in random places, stories I've heard is this was from black ice https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/road-tragedy-cyclist-dies-after-23326966

tomtom

• forum hero

Haha, one of the climbing "old boys" was recommending that to me the other day when I bumped into them in the supermarket queue...

Non impact - restricted distance of movement - bursts of effort (like HIIT) - sounds great.

If there was no-one else on the road I'd love it - last time I went out I just got too angry with every other fucker on the road... Given my lockdown augmented propensity to get cross at the moment - I'd probably cycle a mile then get in a fight :D

Still - fighting's exercise right? :)

Yossarian

• forum hero

Think I'm up to around half a dozen days in 2021 where I've said something along the lines of "I'd quit climbing if I could think of something else to do with my life".  Which isn't great given we're only 18 days into the new year :'(

Here you go. No need to sell all your climbing gear either...

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/jan/21/shibari-pushing-boundaries-in-the-ancient-japanese-practice-of-knot-tying

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Get the running shoes on. Even if it's not what you want to, you might even start enjoying it!

It’s funny how people who are into running seem to assume that people who aren’t just haven’t tried it and don’t know what they’re missing 😄

Did find this vid of Barrows out for a jog though

« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 12:23:27 pm by teestub »

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Running is the absolute pits. Fortunately, whenever I try it I go for a few miles before getting massive knee pain, so I have a great excuse to never do it again. (I think somebody said it might be a "tracking" issue. No idea what that means.)

SA Chris

• forum hero
I'm not assuming anything. For the first few months I hated it, each and every single step, but I persevered (to be fair because I had an event to train for), but until I reached fitness level where I could do 1about 10km in about an hour without resting did I actually start enjoying it. Once beyond that point everything changed.

Tracking probably means glutes not firing, weak adductors, could be anything. I expect you are swinging your leg out to the side to compensate.

abarro81

• forum hero
I actually quite like running, but my legs make my fingers look indestructible (did quite a bit as a teenager, had issues with ankles, knees, shins and then a stress fractured tibia). If I want to do anything more than a 15min jog I'd need to work up very slowly!

I'm not entirely sure how to respond to Yoss's post..  :blink:

Did find this vid of Barrows out for a jog though
This is more my vibe:
https://youtu.be/gSh1eLrxiqs?t=88

tomtom

• forum hero

Think I'm up to around half a dozen days in 2021 where I've said something along the lines of "I'd quit climbing if I could think of something else to do with my life".  Which isn't great given we're only 18 days into the new year :'(

Here you go. No need to sell all your climbing gear either...

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/jan/21/shibari-pushing-boundaries-in-the-ancient-japanese-practice-of-knot-tying

Is he looking at an open Wiggle catalog?

User deactivated.

• forum hero
Not sure exactly what was done on each day as my diary app has locked me out!

average weight: 84kg

2 board sessions. Don't really feel like i'm making progress here, but it's keeping me ticking over while psych is low. It's hard to get motivated when my board is semi outdoors (open my garage doors and put one mat in the garage and another on the drive over a foot of snow!).

1 fingerboard session. Not good enough, last week I said these need to be more frequent so next week I will do at least 3 sessions on this.

1 gymnast rings session. These are built off the side of my house, so I was grabbing frozen rings but managed a PB of 2-and-a-half-almost-3 one armers on the right and 2 on the left, which was surprising as this was after dinner, wearing a coat, boots and probably weighing close to 90kg! Moved on to front lever pulls in advanced tuck position, ring turn out dips (I'd estimate a good form RTO dip is equivalent to a regular dip + approx. 1/3 body weight for anyone who has rings but no weights), wall handstand pressups (chest facing wall). Finished off with a non stop set of muscle ups to failure, straight into pull ups to failure, planche pressups to failure, regular pressups to failure. Destroyed. Stopped working core independently as I get the best gains from just climbing on the board? No lower body work this week, oops.

0.5-1 hour stretching routine every other night. Getting close to a full front fold.

3 skateboard sessions under a covered carpark. 2nd week in. Frontside 180's, backside 180's (ish), and 50-50 grind on a knee height ledge, psyched!

SA Chris

• forum hero
This is more my vibe:
https://youtu.be/gSh1eLrxiqs?t=88

Couple of recent runs have been like that. I did go down like a sack of spuds on an icy pavement in November, no idea how I didn't hurt anything (break a hip at my age!).

If you have concerns, there are some amazing super cushioned trainers out there these days. Things like the Hoka Clifton have been the saviour of a few people I know with continuous injury issues.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

I hate that cycling has robbed me of so many former climbing partners  :furious:

SA Chris

• forum hero
Given my lockdown augmented propensity to get cross at the moment - I'd probably cycle a mile then get in a fight :D

And that's just with other cyclists!

tomtom

• forum hero
I hate that cycling has robbed me of so many former climbing partners  :furious:

Could be you’ve driven them to it? ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
Quoting fail above... (sorry)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero

If it helps*, the combo of injury (can't train properly), a weird flare-up of other swelling (has happened before and been undiagnosed, GP thought rheumatoid arthritis but rheumatology weren't sure.. means I can't even rehab the injury properly), and a lack of alternative releases (partying not allowed, good-for-the-soul soloing seems irresponsible etc.) has me at my least psyched since starting climbing ~15yrs ago. Think I'm up to around half a dozen days in 2021 where I've said something along the lines of "I'd quit climbing if I could think of something else to do with my life".  Which isn't great given we're only 18 days into the new year :'(

*obviously it may not help, but sometimes knowing others are in a similar boat is of some solace!

I'm sure its not an uncommon feeling! January is so fucking grim anyway its probably mostly that, but as you say at least in a normal January the pub would be open! I've also had a recurrence of an old tweak recently, I think the cold and my poor circulation is to blame.

I just bought myself an ab wheel so now I have a new toy in the evenings at least.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Power Club
Mon - snatch and ab rolls. Hard.
Tue - rest.
Wed - fingers, system session.
Thu - weights, snatch rack pulls, DL, kettlebell Tabata 20kg.
Fri - rest.
Sat - weights and pull ups outside then hill sprints, in freezing temps and under the most gorgeous winter night sky.
Sun - tired, TBDL 100 kg 5x5, then loaded carries 30/30 x12.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
It's one of these cantilever doorframe ones - on the back it hooks over the top of the frame and presses against the wall
You are very brave.

SA Chris

• forum hero

I'm sure its not an uncommon feeling! January is so fucking grim anyway its probably mostly that, but as you say at least in a normal January the pub would be open!

What usually gets me through is I have my annual escape to the Alps with my brother in mid Jan away from work and family and that's not happening. Plus it's been dumping it down there makes it doubly painful.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal