UKBouldering.com

[Peak] [Yarncliffe] [Circle-Square Boulder] [f3+ - f6a+] (Read 1512 times)

Jacqusie

• stalker
Just past the Quarrymans Kitchen to the right (facing the crag) and about the same level in Yarncliffe wood, is the Circle-Square Boulder. I stumbled upon this fine compact bloc last year whilst sniffing about and it was minging dirty with lichen and the top needed some cleaning to be able to top out.

After a rotten Autumn and winter, I cleaned it climbable over the sping and we sent the lines in June, acutely aware that the Peak's hardest grit problem had just been done a stones throw away and so there may be more pad folk around Yarncliffe than usual!

The lines are all pretty obvious, some well worth a visit and I put the details on UKC if anyone wants to head there. There are some great burrowed sit start extensions to be had deep under the overhang which will increase the grades for a few of the problems perhaps. The boulder is named after the carved circles at the base / Stuffies song.

Struggling to put a pic on here, but the link to the other chanel's pictures & list of problems is here:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/yarncliffe-110/30_years_in_the_bathroom-593861#photos

Cheers

Si

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
You back climbing then?!

Jacqusie

• stalker

Ah, hopefully this works, thanks Cheque

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Had a moment of deja vu, then realised Seb was talking about this spot in his Jamcrack podcast interview, looks good.

Jacqusie

• stalker
Had a moment of deja vu, then realised Seb was talking about this spot in his Jamcrack podcast interview, looks good.

Yeah Grimer mentions the area too when talking to Seb, I did a few problems on the side of the QK cave when writing the Crag for the BMC Froggatt guide and we both visited one evening for a recce about 2002.

The Quarryman's Kitchen has a big drop under it and so we didn't pursue the area further as you had to be pretty cool headed to top out on some of the problems which are all pretty slopey finishes until you head right past a big block and the walls are safer & steeper.

Then Seb went along a few years back and did them all which was a good effort as you needed to clean the top quite a bit and also did a load of bold trad stuff on Yarncliffe Edge, which he put in the new routes book in Outside at the time.

Neds effort on The Boss takes a brave spotter with that drop and speaking of landings which fall away, I found another Quarryman’s shelter / roof thing we never went back to until last year, which is in between Yarncliffe Quarry and the QK Cave, which has a few project lines.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Great there is still stuff to be found like this in the Peak.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal