UKBouldering.com

Easter Font and family sport climbing ideas (Read 1783 times)

bolehillbilly

• stalker
Easter Font and family sport climbing ideas
August 08, 2018, 10:02:41 am
Am toying with splitting the usual 2 week Easter Font trip with the first week in Font and then a week sport climbing.  It's a long time since I've been on a rope and a very long time since I've been south of Font so a little out of touch. 
Any suggestions/ ideas for a sport climbing venue to suit a family visit with grades from 5 upwards, preferably somewhere with a good chance of being warm/sunny sectors and with local options for some biking too.  2019 Easter is reasonably late, second week is 20-27 April. 

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
You could head over to Briancon area. Been there twice with family. Lots of sport climbing developed. Via Ferratas available. Lakes for swimming. Walks up to glaciers. Bouldering an option at Ailefroide too.

Guide here: https://m.needlesports.com/2596/products/briancon-climbs.aspx?oldid=2596

I could lend you mine

bolehillbilly

• stalker
You could head over to Briancon area. Been there twice with family. Lots of sport climbing developed. Via Ferratas available.

Sounds good and might take you up on the guide loan offer, if only for a read before deciding.  When did you visit? I had in my mind that it was more of a summer venue than Easter.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Good point. Ailefroide is much higher up but I’m sure the likes of Mont Dauphin in the main valley will be ok. I know someone who has climbed there in March (Mark Richardson) so will ask when I next see him. Alternatively email Jerry Gore at Alpbase.com for local knowledge. He’d be able to sort you with accommodation too if stayed a bit higher up in Vallouise. Skiing possibly an option too

The Ardeche is another option. Climbing is average but the family will love it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal